D. Vacation Club advise for newbie please

calgo2007

Earning My Ears
Hi. so for the first time at 47 with a 5 yr son, I am thinking about getting a DVC . But I really don't trust the Disney salesman. So please tell me why i should buy ? Can someone explain the advantages from a party without a financial interest in my purchase ? Or having a DVC vs just booking a vacation like I have up to now ? Thank you...

calgo2007 said:
Hi. so for the first time at 47 with a 5 yr son, I am thinking about getting a DVC . But I really don't trust the Disney salesman. So please tell me why i should buy ? Can someone explain the advantages from a party without a financial interest in my purchase ? Or having a DVC vs just booking a vacation like I have up to now ? Thank you...

Welcome to the Dis! There is a whole DVC forum section. Here is a link to the Purchasing DVC forum: http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28

My family just bought a BCV DVC contract via the resale market this past summer. IMO resale is the best kept DVC secret! Lol.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards App, please excuse any typos.

Val. thank you. I will research that link.. Excuse my ignorance, I have actually never subscibed to a board of any kind.. So the ? gets even dumber .. What is BCV DVC ... also IMO ??

calgo2007 said:
Val. thank you. I will research that link.. Excuse my ignorance, I have actually never subscibed to a board of any kind.. So the ? gets even dumber .. What is BCV DVC ... also IMO ??

Stick around, you'll get the hang of it! I'm just so used to typing in Internet (or Disney) shorthand, I forget there are folks not well versed. Here is the translation:
BCV = Beach Club Villas
DVC = Disney Vacation Club
IMO = In My Opinion

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards App, please excuse any typos.

Yes, Definitely check out the purchasing DVC forum (and the whole DVC forum for that matter) to learn more. Take your time, and do plenty of research. The wonderful thing about DVC is it's very flexible to meet many vacation needs. But keep one thing in mind, do not view it as a traditional timeshare. It IS deeded, but you should view it as prepaying for Disney vacations. That way you can decide if it is worth it for you. We bought in this year on the resale market and so far we are thrilled and look forward to years of use from it. There are MANY people who will answer your questions and help steer you in the right direction.

First welcome! I am a dvc owner as of July 2009. We have 3 contracts all for Saratoga Springs resort and all purchased direct thru Disney. We are very happy with Dvc. That's an understatement....we love dvc! You need to assess your Disney plans currently and in your future to ascertain if dvc is right for you. We were going once a year for 10 nights in a moderate and had wanted to go twice a year. For us, this was a perfect investment in our family vacations. We love Disney and didn't see us not wanting to go for many many years. We were married at the Yacht Club hotel and honeymooned there. We love our Dvc guide as he was very upfront and honest. We also did a lot of research ahead of time so we knew he was being honest. I will be happy to answer any specific questions you have. Also, as pp mentioned, hit up the dvc forums here in the disboards for more info.

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android

here are some threads you might want to bookmark to make things easier:

Commonly used DVC Forum Abbreviations and Acronyms

A List of Common Abbreviations

DVC is the disney version of a timeshare. it is a "home-away-from-home" concept so it may not suit people who love certain aspects of hotel stays. it is a commitment but can be a great deal for onsite stays at wdw. here is a good link with more information:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2742113

but here's the basic scoop: DVC works best for people who:

1) go to disney at least every other year
2) prefer to stay onsite at deluxes (or at least moderates)
3) can plan their vacations 10 or 11 months in advance
4) can limit Fri-Sat stays since weekend point costs are a little higher
5) intend to use DVC primarily for staying at a DVC resort at disney (rather than trading out for other timeshares or cruises, etc.)
6) need or prefer larger accommodations than a basic hotel room

OTOH, there are lots of good reasons to balk at buying DVC:

1) thousands of $ upfront plus annual fees require a certain level of financial ability and commitment (and you still need to pay for tickets and travel, etc.)
2) commitment to wdw/fear of wdw burnout (sorta - while you can trade out if you buy direct, the best value is staying at the DVC resorts)
3) DVC not as deluxe as deluxe hotels in some senses (limited housekeeping, sofabeds, no room service at some DVC resorts)
4) you prefer stays on weekends as weekend point costs are higher
5) financing a depreciating (sooner or later) luxury purchase is generally a poor idea
6) you are happy with value hotels/offsite
7) amenities like a kitchen and washer/dryer have no value for you
8) you don't/can't plan vacations 6+ months in advance
9) you enjoy hunting for deals/bargains for each trip

If you’ll be upset when other people can pay cash for a room and get a discount or get “free” dining thrown in, then DVC is not for you.

also be aware that if you think you might keep DVC for 6-8 years and then sell it down the road, it may have little to no value as DVC has begun cutting perks that transfer when you sell your contract. resale contracts no longer qualify to trade for cruises and wdw hotels like the GF...(but those trades tend to be a poor value anyway.)

remember that it's not a "membership" so much as a long-term real estate lease commitment with continuing costs. while you can stay in studios that are similar to hotel rooms (only OKW has 2 queen beds, though, and all the rest have 1 queen + 1 pullout sofabed), DVC is a better value if you want to spread out and get a 1BR villa or larger...

Alot to read.. I think I did less research on my home. lol
Thank you all for taking the time...

Valid points Charles. Too bad there isn't a DVC gearer for those of us on tighter budgets who are happy with value or moderate resorts, etc.......:confused3

yes after reading Charles post , I did mentally shy away. A lower cost option might a better option for me.. But still looking..
Thank you all

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter