Cutting down my groceries expenses

Some friends of ours have a "clean out the pantry/freezer week" where they don't go to the grocery for anything but milk/juice--otherwise they're eating whatever they have on hand in the house. We're going to try that next week.
I do this too - I don't bulk buy as much as I used to as we prefer to shop seasonally but I still find you end up with lots of bits and pieces in the freezer so it is great to go take a look and plan the week accordingly!
Regularly this will include chicken portions, sausages, frozen pastry, fruits & veg - the crock pot is your friend with budgeting.

We're having a clean out meal tonight before we go on our roadtrip tomorrow.
We have 4 hotdogs, some deli ham, 3 buns, cheese, a head of lettuce, half a cucumber, some leftover mini potatoes, 4 slices of bacon and 2 eggs!!

Looks like a fully loaded potato salad, hotdogs & salad for the boys and a ham & egg salad for me!

We also have leftover but not enough for the next day to feed the whole family of 5.
You can schedule a "leftover night" for dinner late in the week to use up leftovers. Tonight is ours...whatever is in the fridge is fair game.

I haven't read all the replies and this may have been mentioned but try phasing out much of the pre packaged and processed foods. I wouldn't do it cold turkey but start with some changes like taking a bag of chips and package Into smaller grab n go snack/sandwich bags. Make your own seasonings for meals like tacos, fajitas and etc. I swear if nothing else it tastes better.

I have found out if I focus and buy fresh that I'm forced to use it before it goes bad.

The other thing I do to accommodate varying tastes is "chicken sub night" or "quesadilla night" where I cook up chicken and then everyone makes their own with the veggies, sauces, etc. they like. It's a also a good way to use up leftover chicken. I always look for sub rolls in my supermaket's markdown bakery bin and often find a pack of 4-6 for $1.25. There are four of us, all adult-size eaters (the boys are 13 and 15) so that works out well for us.

I live in Texas and cook for a family of 5 adults. Never spent more than $225 at the grocery store each week. I buy in bulk some things at Sams. I buy what is on sale at Kroger - HEB is over priced! I also live near a Trader Joes so I get a lot of fresh, frozen and meats there. I don't buy convenience foods - my kids eat sandwiches if they are hungry.

check out the supercook website (or ones like it)-you can plug in the ingredients (aka leftover dibs and dabs) you have on hand and it will pull up recipes to use it in.

I also agree with this-

the crock pot is your friend with budgeting

check out the supercook website (or ones like it)-you can plug in the ingredients (aka leftover dibs and dabs) you have on hand and it will pull up recipes to use it in.

I also agree with this-
Definitely - we are out tomorrow night - family coming for DH's pre-birthday BBQ Saturday afternoon (everything ordered for that) and away Sunday night so I didn't want to shop and last night defrosted a special offer pack casserole steak then this morning added everything left in the fridge, carrots, potatoes, onions, a courgette, a worse for wear pepper, seasoned with garlic, paprika etc and tonight came home to a huge goulash style meal - feels like a free meal when you see what some people throw away.

When my kids were little, money was really tight, and I did these things to cut on groceries:

Monday: Spaghetti. (The key here, is I made a HUGE batch every couple of months and froze the sauce. That meant I could buy in bulk. For example, now to do that, you could buy institutional sized cans of crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce--whatever you use. Then dinner was thawing some sauce, cooking noodles, and making a salad. We lived in an agricultural area, so I got our vegies from a stand out by the farms.

Tuesday: Bean dinner. Beans made from dried beans. Often served with rice. We'd have red beans and rice, or chili, or pinto beans and cornbread. Fruit and veggies to supplement, etc. If it was pinto beans, I'd make lots and smash them for:

Wednesday: Mexican night. Often burritos with seasoned and refried beans from the night before. Or other things too.

Thursday: Casserole of some sort.

Friday: Stir fry

Saturday: Whatever (or we'd eat out)

Sunday: Some kind of roast. If it had bones, I made broth (so cheap, but so expensive to buy canned).

The thing about sticking to a pretty limited plan is you then tend to have the spices and ingredients you need on hand, and you can buy the great big sizes. Also, if you have something leftover, it will often last in the fridge or freezer till next weeks rendition. We didn't really get bored with a set menu, plus, a lot of stuff was made for the next step (beans for Mexican, broth for soup or gravy).

Looking at the stuff you buy, I'd consider giving up a lot of the convenience food.

Also, I used to shop multiple places--one place for meat, produce stand for fruits/vegetables, another place for cheap staples, etc.

Not sure you have the time to do all that, but cooking bigger batches and freezing them could help you free up time in the future.

Hi Hon
I went back to school after having my three sons and I know how hard it is to find the time
to do everything that moms are expected to do.

I eventually had the boys tell me what their fav meal was and we made a list of Mon-Fri a placed it on the refrigerator.
Weekends dinners were NOT my responsibility to plan, prepare or cook.

Here are a few examples of their choices:

Beef/Chicken Tacos and fresh mixed salad

Spaghetti --with elbow noodles instead of traditional noodles.

Mini cupcake pan quiche ---hash browns and baked beans

Grilled cheese/ham sandwiches and soup

Mini pizzas / caesar salad

I swear I could just repeat this week after week and they were happy which made shopping and stocking up on ingredients easier and cheaper.

Best wishes to you
Hugs Mel

$300.00 a week during summer. Maybe $225.00 week during school.

That's way more than you need to spend. I would cut out the steak and hot pockets right from the get-go. Also, bottled water does not have to be purchased. Just buy a Brita pitcher and replace the filter as needed. Probably better than what you're paying for in bottles anyway.

Have you tried the Dollar Tree? They have lots of name brand food in there. I personally purchase everything I can there, then the rest at Walmart. You can get cereal, snacks, bread, rolls, lots of boxed and canned goods (canned veg are 2/$1.) DT has a double pack of pizza crusts that are name brand. They are personal sized pizza, but still much more expensive at Walmart. I buy those and name brand jar of pizza sauce (enough for 8 to 10 pizzas.) I also buy the Hormel pepperoni when they have it. The only thing I don't buy at DT is cheese. It's not real there.

Dollar Tree even has an entire frozen section with boxes of prepared snack foods, pot pies, tv dinners, boxes of ice cream cones, Popsicle, etc. The majority of what they sell is name brand. I would suggest checking expiration dates, but other than that, it's all good!

The rest of what I need, I get at Walmart. We are 5 people: 4 adults who work from home in our business, and one grandchild who hangs for 10 hours per day 5x week.

I don't use coupons at all and my monthly grocery budget for all of us is $500.

Dry beans and rice are very inexpensive. Bean soup is a favorite here. Just whatever kind of beans you have on hand. I usually use kidney, black, navy, and some red beans. Throw in a pound of cooked hamburger and a can of garlic and onion (or whatever flavor you prefer) chopped tomato.

I also buy all of our ground beef at once from a meat market and cook it all in a huge pan. After draining it, I separate it into freezer bags with a bit less than a pound per each one. That way, when making something, it limits the amount of expensive meat that goes in. If doing it fresh, most people tend to cook 3x that much meat for a meal.

If you're really trying to stick to a budget - you have to think the other way around IMO. You have to make your LIST match your BUDGET - as in, start with BUDGET first. It sounds like you're starting with your list and then surprised when it is above your budget. Take your $150 (if you're currently at $300 I don't think you should go that low so quickly - start at maybe $180 or $190). So let's say take $190 - and then subtract out each NECESSITY first...milk (- $2.79 or whatever it is times two I'm guessing for a family of 5) - so now you're down to $184.42. And then continue like this until you're out. If you still don't have enough for dinners - you need to subtract out some of the larger$$ items (like steak) and substitute with pasta and sauce and pancakes and sausage to make 2 meals instead of the 1 that the steak would have covered. DEFINITELY a couple meatless meals per week. For lunches - what does everyone eat? I would make the kids stick to the basics...either leftovers from the night before or a sandwich (with lower-cost lunchmeat) or even grilled cheese sandwiches (very cheap - can get a large pack of cheese for $7.50 and that could last a whole month, even with 3 kids I think). I guess it is teaching the kids to have lunch based on what is available and in the budget rather than what they might want (hot pockets, hot pizza, etc).

Also - Make some basic dinners and give them an approximate cost. This will save time for making your list. For example: Grilled Chicken, roasted potatoes and watermelon ($10 for the chicken (1/2 of a big pack), $3 for potatoes, $5 watermelon) - total is $18 (maybe throw in a bag of frozen broccoli for $2 to make it an even $20).

Do the same for a few handfuls of other meals - Tacos - $16, pancakes, sausage and strawberries - $12, pasta with shrimp and a salad - $32. Do the math based on prices for the items in your store.

Then when you're making a list you can start with a couple of the 'HIGHER' priced dinners, add in a couple 'Medium priced' ones and then fill the rest with the low price options.

Makes it much quicker.

OP, I don't think you have said, do you have an Aldi where you live?

I think this could really be the key for you. It is a nice small store and won't add much time to your weekly shopping trip. They have sooo many items and I you will save money on nearly every one of them.

I plan my meals and make my list and then get everything I can at Aldi and finish up at my main grocery store. The first few times, don't rush thru Aldi. They have lots of items you could miss because the store is so compact.

You will save a lot on milk, bread, lunch meat, eggs, cookies, crackers, mac and cheese, etc. They even have their own brand of hot pockets! Seriously give Aldi a try.

Maybe if you post what you are buying and where you shop? Aldi's is great for stocking up on staples like sugar, milk, eggs, butter, maple syrup and even cereal, granola bars, taco fixings (cheese, sour cream, taco seasoning) and cookies

I will admit to "stopping by" the market at least 3x a week. However, I realized how much that increases my food budget, so now I tell the kids (11,17 and 19) that I am only going shopping once and if they eat everything on Day 1 they are going to be very hungry the rest of the week!
This!!!!! I hit WAY too many stores in the past week to just 'grab one thing'....:scared::scared1::confused3 and ended up with way too much spending.....(well, I have an overstocked house now, and I refuse to go back to the store for at least another week or two!) I don't even know how it happened,other than just summer crazy busyness,going on too many store trips,and not enough solid lists in my hand(I even forgot to use an easy 4.00 in store coupons just sitting in my car!!!) I have reformed from my 'crazy month' and vow to use careful lists from here on in,as I can't afford to go overbudget like this every month..... my usual MO is to keep it simple,(aldi works for me) with the occasional stop at a warehouse for certain items....as it is I have no more in my budget line to spend till the end of this month so.....:thumbsup2

Great tips! As mentioned, items go on sale during certain times of the year. 24 packs of soda on sale 5 for $10 during summer holidays. Stock up. I make Crystal light lemonade and stock up the packets when on sale.
I understand working and being busy with kids. Some things are worth the money for convenience.

I usually get a pre-made rotisserie chicken every week for dinner for $5.99 at the grocery store. Hardly worth making from scratch. You also have leftovers for salad.
I keep frozen sausages, chicken cutlets, Kayem hot dogs and turkey kielbasa in the freezer for a fast protein meal. Add fries and veg for a quick meal.

Buy toiletries, cleaning products, and paper goods at Walmart or the dollar store. I get storage bags and trash bags for $1. at the dollar store.

Cereal goes on sale alot. Wait for the sale and stock up. Kids love having a bowl for snack or part of a meal. Watch the ads and go to at least 2 stores if they have a sale on stuff you always buy. Good luck! You can do it.

That confession aside:rotfl2: I like a pp's suggestion..... create your spend budget,and make your list around that. just subtract from your amount and get creative if you see it going too fast..... like a meatless spaghetti meal once or twice a week is delicious and less cost! (just make sure your lower cost choices are nutritious and taste good,and your family should be fine with it) You can start with sale flyers, or Aldi,etc. If you always have ingredients for a quick meal with pasta and veggies,or possibly breakfast for dinner(yum) or a nice soup in the crockpot,you should be ok

What I do a lot is cook once..eat twice. For example...if you make baked ziti...make an extra pan and freeze it. You will find that you don't really need double of everything...just buy a little bigger bag of cheese and a larger bottle of sauce, etc. Saves money and you already have another dinner done for another week when things are crazy busy.

Roast chicken...buy the largest one and make two meals out of it instead of buying a chicken each week. Have it roasted the first night, then make chicken salad or soup, etc. for another night.

Things like this will save you time and money.

Food always cost me more money when the kids were in school because I was buying lunchmeat, individually packaged snacks and bottled water. It was always cheaper when they were home in the summer because I could control costs by preparing their lunches from scratch.

My biggest cost-saver is to eliminate that bottled water and other bottled beverages. Buy a Brita pitcher and refillable water bottles instead.

Cook as much from scratch as you can. Hot Pockets, frozen pizzas and Lunchables shouldn't be on the shopping list if you're trying to cut back on costs. You can make your own versions of those things and not only save money, but make them from healthier ingredients.

Homemade Rice Krispies Treats, a batch of chocolate chip cookies, and store-brand Popsicles were the kids' summer treats.

Pre-cut fruit would be a no-no. Steak would be once a month, not weekly. Ground meat is more expensive than boneless chicken breasts around here and the chicken is healthier. Even pork is cheaper than beef. However, I realize that Texas prices may be quite different from Philadelphia prices.

Learn to love meatless meals. Rice and beans aren't just for people on a Dave Ramsey debt program! Substitute one meatless dinner during the week and you'll see some savings.

How much food are you throwing out due to spoilage? Plan your shopping so that you only buy what you will actually consume. Start saving recipes on allrecipes .com or foodnetwork .com, especially the ones that have common ingredients. It makes it easier to change things up if you find yourself in a rut.

Good advice. Think about what you buy. Hot pockets and Lunchables should be an occasional treat when they are on sale. I have 5 children and they would tire of different foods quickly. Shop around for the best prices. Use restraint with sales and coupons. Nothing is a great deal if you do not use it.

I think all the savings sound great, but keep in mind you also need to balance what works For your family and how you want to eat, and accept that maybe huge savings aren't possible in those parameters (or maybe they are depending on your family). Every family is different so find what works for yours and try to let the stress go a little (from one money stressed person to another, I know it is easier said than done )

For example I spend about $300 for a family of 4. Some weeks a little less. We don't eat much of anything processed so no coupons really, except for things like shampoo or contact solution and the occasional cereal. We also eat mostly organic which is where it is harder to save, i shop a minimum of 5 stores to try to get savings and buy specufic things at each store (Publix, Walmart, costco, Trader Joes and the Butcher). $300 is low for what I buy, I have young kids and I feel meats and dairy without hormones are not negotiable, so I accept I will pay more and have less money for other things (and stock up on sales when they come). I make most things from scratch so that helps save also, and hit the famers markets when we can. When I moved from NJ to Florida I thought the groceries would be much less but they are actually more for most things, and so is gas, so that has been an adjustment. I do what I can to cut where I can, I used to stress out so much but now I try to accept that there are certain things In how I feed my family that will always cost more, so in turn I need to not stress about the cost as much.

Make your own ice tea. Ice tea is cheap about 2 dollars a gallon but in a years time it could easily be a few hundred dollars.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter