Current Promotions for New Members?

Discussion in 'Purchasing DVC' started by MAGICFOR2, Nov 5, 2012.

1. MAGICFOR2

MAGICFOR2 DIS Veteran

Does anyone know what the promotions are right now for new contracts?

My in-laws are thinking about purchasing, but wanted to know if it would be better to go on a DCL cruise and purchase onboard, or if there were other good promotions out there right now. Thanks in advance!

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Official Ticket Center is Orlando’s #1 discount attraction ticket agency, selling millions of Walt Disney tickets around the world.

to hide this adverts.
  3. erionm

erionm DIS Veteran

4. Deb & Bill

Deb & Bill DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

It's better to buy resale and save a bundle.

5. dvcterry

dvcterry DIS Veteran

They have generally given extra perks for DCL cruises, the last time we were given shipboard credit, which is more than the typical fastpasses or other promotions given.

6. MAGICFOR2

MAGICFOR2 DIS Veteran

Thanks everyone for your answers! I will check out the link and tell them about re-sale also. I am just concerned that with re-sale you don't get the same perks as with buying direct. They were impressed with our 10% discount all over Calif. DTD this past weekend!:goodvibes

7. dvcterry

dvcterry DIS Veteran

8. MAGICFOR2

MAGICFOR2 DIS Veteran

Thanks!

9. chalee94

chalee94 <font color=green>I thought all sand was ground up

resale buyers currently get the same dining/shopping discounts as direct buyers. those dining/shopping discounts can go away at any time for both direct and resale buyers. (it's going to take a lot of 10% off discounts to add up to the thousands saved by buying resale either way.)

the only big difference currently between direct and resale is access to trades for disney cruises and disney hotels (also "adventures by disney" - but those take HUGE numbers of pts). the cost of trading out for cruises and such is usually more expensive than simply paying cash (renting pts for DVC stays and using the cash).

resale buyers get the same member perks otherwise, including access to trades for RCI and intrawest timeshares. and if your circumstances change and you need to sell your DVC contract, you will be selling at resale prices even if you paid extra to buy direct.

10. DougEMG

DougEMG DIS Veteran

Given that perks can change at any time, it isn't a good thing to buy direct because you want a specific perk, you could end up being disappointed in the future.

11. MAGICFOR2

MAGICFOR2 DIS Veteran

Thanks. This will be alot to discuss with them. One of the things they liked is that we took a 6 day repo last year on the West Coast strictly on points. I know that if you add up the money, etc. it might not look like a good use of points, but we enjoyed taking a "free" cruise and it was a nice vacation, which is what DVC is about. So for us, trading for a cruise worked out well. DBIL, however, is a MBA so he might look at it the way you just explained.:goodvibes

12. MAGICFOR2

MAGICFOR2 DIS Veteran

That's true. We have been turned down for those perks lots of times at DLR because they CMs didn't know about them. I don't think anyone would really base a purchase like this on 10% off at stores - it just got their attention, so they stopped by the Kiosk.

13. ethanash1

ethanash1 A little bit of Pixie Dust can fix almost anything

I agree. Although its not the best "bang for your buck" to use Pts for cruising, I have taken 3 cruises on points. I can't imagine not being able to trade out, and like you mentioned, since its all pre-paid, it feels " Free" to us to...even though we know full well it's not. I'm sure they'll love which ever way they decide to buy, but its good that you're researching for them!