Curious about one time use points vs borrowing

I would borrow because I believe I was told that once you purchase the additional points, there are no changes...Borrowing can provide more flexibility if you have to change your trip outside the 31 days...at least those points could be used for another vacation by the end of your use year. I always try to think of the "what if" scenario if we are forced to change or cancel our trip outside the 31...Good luck!:goodvibes

Member since Jan 2009. This is the 1st year I've actually used points in the use year to which they belong. Borrow, borrow, borrow and when you run out of points, add on. But sometimes I'm a little short, so I've had to buy some one time use points to fill out the reservation.

Unfortunately, I've run out of money to buy more points, sigh :(

But sometimes you can end up with needing something like 12 points; to me, not worth renting for (especially if it's not a full day's worth of points for the stay).

thats when we stay 1 or 2 nights at a hotel, still less expensive than buying 1 x use, but I understand how others may see buying is easier or better for their situation.

Borrow no doubt. You could always rent one nights worth of points from someone else, or stay in a hotel room for less for the 1 night. Unless you absolutely have plans for those 20 points next year, I'd borrow. Besides, if you did need then next year, you can always borrow again and be in perpetual borrow mode. We've transfered points in from another member when we ran out and couldn't borrow anymore.

had to buy once for a longer stay with more bedrooms. Haven't had to but would if it made sense. Sometimes there is a "bigger" trip coming up so it would make sense to buy rather than limit next year's pool of points.

I would borrow because I believe I was told that once you purchase the additional points, there are no changes

I don't think that's true.

thats when we stay 1 or 2 nights at a hotel, still less expensive than buying 1 x use, but I understand how others may see buying is easier or better for their situation.

On the trip when we bought the points, it was already a cobbled together trip at the bitter end of our UY, with two normal hotels already (AS Music and Pop). If we had just stayed at a hotel another night, we would have abandoned points and not have had the fun of staying at SSR (while dreadfully sick and trying to figure out how I was going to run the WDW Half, ugh, bad times).

That's the reason we bought them; it was January with a Feb UY, we had *nothing* usable at all (banking the orphaned points would have been useless because we had nothing to borrow backward to use with them), etc. It was literally a use or lose situation, so we used and bought some extra points. :) I'm not explaining it well!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter