Crystal Palace or Tony's

frkymcky

Mouseketeer
I am pretty sure what responses I will get but thought I would ask. I currently have a 6:30 res at Tony's but can get Crystal Palace at 4:30....just curious what would you do? Why am I hesitant? My kids aren't so great with the characters, they improved a bit on our last trip just worried we may find our DD under the table again, lol.

I'm pretty sure I know what the answers will be as well...but I'm going in the other direction. If you are unsure how your kids will react to up-close and personal visits from freakishly large storybook characters, by all means, there is no reason to have them hiding under tables. And at an "off hour" no less. I would stick with Tony's and go in with modest expectations. Once you are there and can gauge how they respond to characters, you can always try to walk up or get a last minute reservation elsewhere.

I'd do Tony's. If the kids might be afraid of characters, I'd rather eat in peace at Tony's and have the food brought to me. Otherwise, I'd be pulling kids off me, from under the table, & going back & forth to the buffet.

The OP doesn't say how long its been since the last trip that scared their child. However long its been you may be surprised at how quickly their likes/dislikes/phobia's change when they are young. Don't assume that because they had a problem before they will still have a problem this time. Its not unusual at all for a 2YO to be afraid of the characters but may have no problem at all at 3YO.

OP here...DD is 9, 2 years ago she was still timid, 3 years ago she was under the table at a meal...I can laugh now but boy was it frustrating then. DS is 6 and sometimes gets nervous when the characters are close. They both insist they will be fine..guess we will see what happens. Thanks for the feedback!

Tony's!

.. if it was my children that could likely be facing a fear of the characters, I wouldn't subject them to that.

When we were at Chef Mickey's last year, half way through our meal, a family sat down with two children who were not pleased with them coming around to the tables. One was TERRIFIED and oh did she scream!! Unfortunately, the characters ended up avoiding our section for the remainder of our meal and the ONE character my son really wanted to see, Goofy, we had to ask a cast member to locate for us... all the way across the restaurant. It wasn't fair for the family with the frightened children or the other families who booked Chef Mickey's to specifically see the characters.

OP here...DD is 9, 2 years ago she was still timid, 3 years ago she was under the table at a meal...I can laugh now but boy was it frustrating then. DS is 6 and sometimes gets nervous when the characters are close. They both insist they will be fine..guess we will see what happens. Thanks for the feedback!

since they are older children, asking them straight up was a good idea. :)

Hi
If the children think that they'll be ok, I would definitely go to CP. Tony's food isn't very good.

I would skip Tony's under any circumstances. The food was not good for us..at all.
I would definately pick CP if you think your kids are up for the character interaction.
If they are not into the characters I would recommend The Plaza. Excellent food and the desserts are fabulous. :)

Remember the Spaghetti that comes in a can, Chef Boyardee? Do your kids like that because that's pretty much that's what Tony's is.
if it were my last meal on earth, I'd starve.
Only restaurant at Disney that I would say is down right nasty.

Really. if you think the kids are going to be scared at crystal do counter service.

A friend of mine at work, took her mother in law from italy who was vacationing there with the family. MIL wanted to burn the place down. LOL

We rather liked Tony's and thought it was better food-wise than the buffet at the Crystal Palace. (We were comparing lunch to lunch.) The 5 year old had the spaghetti and meatball in honor of Lady and the Tramp. DH had a flatbread and I had the shrimp scampi. No apps or dessert because of a late Dole Whip stop.

I can't see spending the money on CP if the characters aren't your thing.

Crystal Palace!

More food the kids will enjoy, more relaxed Nd more fun! Your 9 yr old will be fine. Three years was a loooong time ago. You an also whisper in Pooh's ear that she is a little shy. Your younger will. Oat likely take the cue from the older.

:flower3:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter