Crystal Cove State Park & Cottages

vjmartin

Mouseketeer
Has anyone been to this beach/state park area? Or maybe stayed in the beach cottages? The website was pretty basic. My DH would like a better picture of the cottages (he would also like to see the inside of the cottages). We are planning on visiting So. Cal. next summer (May or June).
Any information would be helpful.

Thanks in advance!

You're right,

...in that there is nothing easily found on the web on these cabins. I googled it and found a B&B of similar name, another site from BC Canada, and an alternative private camp ground. No images.

Can't help you with the cabins, but the beach is great - one of our favorites. It is quite a hike down the hill from the parking lot, but worth it. It is hardly ever crowded and there are some rocks and tide pools to explore also. Hope you have a great time.

Hi! the Los Angeles Times just did a story on Crystal Cove this last Sunday in the travel section. I imagine you can go to their website and look it up. Looks fun!

I grew up just north of Crystal Cove... if you remember the beach house from the movie "Beaches" it's one of the cottages available for rent. I doubt the interior shown in the movie is the same, but it gives you a feel for the beach. The cottages are small, old and incredibly quaint... to the south you have Laguna Beach... to the north, Corona del Mar and Newport Beach. I wouldn't hesitate to rent one..

:thumbsup2

This is an original plein-air painting of a cottage at Crystal Cove. It hangs in my office!

crystalcove11.jpg

Thanks for telling us about these cottages!

One of my coworkers & friend has had a dream to stay in a cottage on the beach ever since she saw Beaches, many years ago, and she told me a few years ago how much she wanted to do this. So, I've been on the lookout for a place to visit on the weekend.

Well, the first of each month they open up a month to rent the cottages & I was able to book us in Cabin 16 on March 23-25, 2007. She's so excited, and I'm always up for an adventure. :sunny:

When you look at the map of cottages, it is the one on the far right.

I did find a pic of the one we're staying at:

n_16gif.gif

Here are pics of the cottages (finally found them on the web):
http://www.crystalcovebeachcottages.org/icottages.html

Great job MaryJo. I would love to have a vow renewal next year on the deck of one of the cottages. Since I was born in Newport Beach and spent every summer of childhood going to the beaches there, I thought it would be a great place to celebrate 20 years of marriage.

What time did reservations open?

What a neat idea for you & your dh!

They open promptly at 8am. I got online at 7:40 & registered, then waited with the dates & cabin on the screen. I tried to make the reservation at 7:55 - no go, but right at 8am I hit enter & was able to make the reservation. When I checked for availability a half hour later, all of the private cabins weren't even showing up, which means that there was no more availability for the month of March. The bungalow cabins had some availability - but just Sun-Thu. That was quick!

So where'd you go that the shark wants to take a bite of your noggin?

Mary Jo said:
So where'd you go that the shark wants to take a bite of your noggin?

I faced my life long fear of being shark bait. I snorkeled with the sharks in the Bahamas.

ed2e1af9.jpg

ed2e17b8.jpg

ed2e1826.jpg

The picture is a reminder that I am capable of facing any obstacle and to not let fear hold me back.

Tink33 said:
Great job MaryJo. I would love to have a vow renewal next year on the deck of one of the cottages. Since I was born in Newport Beach and spent every summer of childhood going to the beaches there, I thought it would be a great place to celebrate 20 years of marriage.

What time did reservations open?

You must be a Hoag baby! I have one of those! :sunny: And yes, Crystal Cove would be a lovely place to renew your vows!

Great idea!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter