Crunched some numbers and guess what I learned?

iloveeeyore

DIS Veteran
If we purchase the DDP for our trip next summer, we'd save a whopping...$37!!

But something has occured to me. I'm using the 2010 cost of the DDP vs. 2009 menu prices. Do you know when the menu prices are increased and by approx how much we can expect them to increase?

TIA

But something has occured to me. I'm using the 2010 cost of the DDP vs. 2009 menu prices. Do you know when the menu prices are increased and by approx how much we can expect them to increase?

TIA

Not sure about all of them, but according to TGM, Cinderella's Royal Table will increase in the beginning of October. I'm sure others will also be on the way.

I also did the math and the DDP saves us a good amount (we have 2 little kids and do a few character dinners so the savings is really good for them), and I also remembered that by the time we go in July 2010, the restaurant prices will go up.

It isn't scheduled and anticipated like ticket increases. The prices just change in dribs and drabs over time, like the menus. So while it is safe to assume that some prices will be higher by the dates of your trip, it is impossible to predict which ones or by how much.

yeah, if you look at Allears.net, the menus update here and there all the time.
There's no real set time for everything.

If you just cut out a dessert or appetizer or snack here and there, you probably would do just as well paying OOP then. And you wouldn't throw food away or take home a million snacks that you really didn't want.

We have found the same thing--the savings is not huge.

However, when we did the DDP vs. paying OOP, we ate a lot better. We normally would try to do CS meals, snacks, and a few TS meals. And, when we went to TS meals, we were always looking at the prices to try to cut costs.

So, it may not always be about the savings as much as it was nice to go into the restaurant and just order, without worrying about the price. And, when I got my dessert, I didn't feel bad about eating just a few bites. Had I been paying OOP, I would have never ordered it--or, if I did, I would have eaten all of it!

For budgeting purposes, it can be a good thing.

TIA

If you're using wdwinfo or allears menus, you may not even have the current prices. Some of the menus are already out of date and the prices are slightly higher. Many sodas at TS are still listed at $2.29 but in July some of them were as high as $2.69 - it may not seem like much but 40 cents x 4 people x 6 days = $9.60 and with tax that's a little over $10.

I honestly don't see the appeal of the DDP. My family would never feel that ordering four entrees and four desserts is a treat. Sure there is some savings if you order exactly what the DDP offers, but to me and my family we eat at Disney like we would at any other sit down restaurant. Order what you want to eat and it all works out in the end. It is usually some mix of apps, entress and desserts.

I think to a lot of families Disney is the only place that they ever really eat out so they go hog wild and somehow think that the cookie cutter TS dining is awesome. When at WDW or any other restaurant we review the menu and decide what we would enjoy.

For us when you total up 4 entrees, 4 desserts and 4 non alcoholic drinks we could get one app, three entrees, one dessert and several alcholic drinks and feel that we got a much better "deal" for us.

DDP is a personal choice and if you think you want an entree, dessert and non alcoholic drink at each dinner and that makes it for you then by all means go for it.

I crunched the numbers as well and found that we save quite a bit. We normally aren't dessert eaters when we go out to eat here at home, but on vacation, we like to splurge. And where better than at WDW!! The desserts all look so great, it's a pleasure to be able to indulge.

I like the DDP and will get it whether it's "free" or not. If I wasn't on, I'd be looking at the prices on the menu and obsessing over how much this entree costs or that one is. I like being able to order without worrying about that. I'm on vacation!! I shouldn't have to worry about that!

I love that Disney gives us a choice to do the dining plan or not to. Every family is different every budget is different. The past two meals we did the dining plan and loved it, but that is just this family and this budget.

We did a 12 day trip in December 2007 with DDP. We did Mickey's Hoop-Dee-Do-Revue, Boma, O'hana, Le Celier Candlelight Processional, Chef Mickey, Whispering Canyon Cafe, and many more. We saved a bundle on that trip. However, in honesty, it really wasn't a savings, because had we not had the DDP, we just wouldn't have eaten at all those places. We do not normally eat that many big meals, at home or on vacation. We normally just grab something on the run. We only did it because we said "it's free".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter