Cruising with a DUI

This persons DUI may not even have gone to court by the time we go on this cruise...he just got it like two weeks ago and apparently the process to be actually convicted takes a long time. So it may still be pending by the time we go or he would have just gotten convicted. We just changed our cruise to a western Caribbean...hope it won't be a problem to go on this cruise with a very recent DUI!

Since it's that recent, he probably needs to check if there are any restrictions to his travel before his court date. He may not be allowed out of state, to say nothing of international travel. If his court date comes just prior to the cruise date, do you have a contingency plan if he is sentenced to serve time? I'd seriously be considering his options; he needs to have a conversation with his lawyer, not rely on Internet message board advice.

Good luck with it all and I hope you all enjoy the cruise!

Since it's that recent, he probably needs to check if there are any restrictions to his travel before his court date. He may not be allowed out of state, to say nothing of international travel. If his court date comes just prior to the cruise date, do you have a contingency plan if he is sentenced to serve time? I'd seriously be considering his options; he needs to have a conversation with his lawyer, not rely on Internet message board advice.

Good luck with it all and I hope you all enjoy the cruise!

This was a misdemeanor DUI not a felony DUI. No one was hurt, it was a minor incident, a first offense and first arrest ever so there will be no jail time. We've already spoken with our attorney and told him when we planned on taking the cruise and he gave us the go ahead. He said Canada would be an issue but not the Caribbean. I wasn't willing to move our cruise until we talked with him.

This was a misdemeanor DUI not a felony DUI. No one was hurt, it was a minor incident, a first offense and first arrest ever so there will be no jail time. We've already spoken with our attorney and told him when we planned on taking the cruise and he gave us the go ahead. He said Canada would be an issue but not the Caribbean. I wasn't willing to move our cruise until we talked with him.

Just curious, what State is this?

I know very little about legalization and in any case I'm sure you're kidding around, but aren't the border patrol folks federal, not state?
I do believe you are correct on this. Even though the state may have legalized it its not federally legalized which is why there would be an arrest. You can not cross the border with marijuana even with a prescription.

If this has changed someone can correct.

It's true. Apparently lots of people receive nasty surprises on trying to do Alaska cruises that leave from or port in Vancouver.

I guess there's some legal route you can follow (if you can afford it) to appeal and get them to 'forgive' you, but I've never seen any specifics. There's also a whole other element to this thing where apparently the individual border patrol officers have very wide leeway in how they handle it, so it's hard to get clear answers on what to expect.

I'm not trying to downplay the seriousness of DUIs--they kill people.
I agree with you on seriousness of DUI, I also think it all depends if you will be driving in Canada or not, people are concerned here who fly to vancouver and have 4 hours window only to be on the ship to sail to Alaska in a few hours, where is the risk then? I truly think tourism industry is missing out on the fact they don't let people in, i am concerned myself as i have a cruise booked which arrive in Vancouver and husband has DUI and other things - the last one is in 2011, we dont have time for TRP, we decided to fill out application and take it with us pleading at the border, we arrive to vancouver and our flight back home to USA next day, my concern - a husband will be denied boarding to begin with, does anyone know if we can be denied boarding without actually speaking to the boarder control officer? boarding is in Alaska so there is no chance i can even try for TRP.

I agree with you on seriousness of DUI, I also think it all depends if you will be driving in Canada or not, people are concerned here who fly to vancouver and have 4 hours window only to be on the ship to sail to Alaska in a few hours, where is the risk then? I truly think tourism industry is missing out on the fact they don't let people in, i am concerned myself as i have a cruise booked which arrive in Vancouver and husband has DUI and other things - the last one is in 2011, we dont have time for TRP, we decided to fill out application and take it with us pleading at the border, we arrive to vancouver and our flight back home to USA next day, my concern - a husband will be denied boarding to begin with, does anyone know if we can be denied boarding without actually speaking to the boarder control officer? boarding is in Alaska so there is no chance i can even try for TRP.

Interesting topic. - Never read it on here or elsewhere.

Don't have any feedback to give re: DUI but I'm intrigued by the lack of information from DCL about it.
Shouldn't they have an advisory about who can and cannot board their ships going to x/y/z destinations?
Not only if you have a DUI, but also felony records... e.g: what if pedophiles, domestic violence offenders, etc want to board a cruise, would his/her record show? Shouldn't DCL post something in the line of: "if you've been convicted of xxx you should not book" ?

You probably want to do some research but I believe Canada does not have a presumption of innocence until proven guilty like we do here in the US. Any arrest for a DUI or Felony will prevent you from being able to enter the country.

I'm not trying to downplay the seriousness of DUIs--they kill people.

DUIs don't kill people - drunk drivers kill people. People with DUIs are just the small percentage of people who got caught.

(Don't drink and drive! And be cautious of how medications affect your driving!)

This persons DUI may not even have gone to court by the time we go on this cruise...he just got it like two weeks ago and apparently the process to be actually convicted takes a long time. So it may still be pending by the time we go or he would have just gotten convicted. We just changed our cruise to a western Caribbean...hope it won't be a problem to go on this cruise with a very recent DUI!

If he has not been convicted of a DUI, it should not be a problem at all. Also, DUI is no issue for Caribbean cruises. And you can travel to Canada after being convicted of a DUI - you just have to apply in advance and pay a fine. Just search "travel to Canada with a DUI," and you should find some legal pages with the information you need.

*Edit: UGHHH a zombie thread!!! Hope they enjoyed their cruise!

Last edited:

Ahhh, it was you who awoke this 3-year-old thread! Your best bet would be to talk to a lawyer. I've *heard* that they're more likely to let you into Canada with a DUI if it's on a cruise - not sure if they would deny boarding. Did a quick Google search and found this FAQ on the Carnival website that may apply - https://help.carnival.com/app/answe...ry-into-canada---guests-with-criminal-records and here's some free legal advice - http://www.canadaduientrylaw.com/

You probably want to do some research but I believe Canada does not have a presumption of innocence until proven guilty like we do here in the US. Any arrest for a DUI or Felony will prevent you from being able to enter the country.

*Edited*
We do (section 11(d) of the Canadian Charter of Rights) but it may apply only to Canadians. Canadian passports will be seized (to prevent Canadians from getting out) while people from other countries will not be able to enter the country for misdemeanors (like violence, drugs and DUI related charges/conviction) unless they received a "pardon".

Last edited:
Not really. The responsibility to make sure a person can legally travel somewhere is normally on the person, not the company providing transport. I'm not aware of any exceptions to that but don't rule out the possibility they exist.
in that case if they should care less, I should not be denied boarding :)

yes, me :) thank you, ok, so-called waiver per Carnival is TRP and no, you cannot get it a few weeks prior your cruise, you must plan 4 months average and is not guaranteed you will even be approved, you can get TRP at the border if it is emergency, there are some states you can become rehabilitated after some times and some state that no matter how long ago the crime occurred, you always can have a problem, however, I cannot imaging considering the ship capacity they will automatically throw out everyone who has ever had DUI record. That being said - may be they run a report yo show any criminal convictions (dismissal / withdrawal does not count) within past 5 years - flag those "guests", anything else will be dismissed and let on the ship, I don't know - I am hysterical at the moment but definitely will go back and repost - people want to know and hear real stories, Unless i warn in advance by the cruise that my husband will be denied 100%, i will try to board him a ship, just the whole thing is sad because many of us here to see Alaska not Canada, and because of some over 100 years old law which I don't even know why we need in the first place especially now for cruise ships not traders, we need to suffer, I personally don't have any criminal record so not that 50% f population suffer but think of situations and there are so many! a family - big family, one member is in question from 20 years old DUI, people where I know most likely will be admitted, those who are less patient, decides just quit and go to Caribbean instead, no one wants to just for 4 hours in Canada apply and wait for TRP and Canada to decide let go or not let go or take chances, they must come up with some alternative to the issue as I mentioned - something like a sealed bus if they don't want to change 100 years old needless law, or design something specifically for cruise ship passengers - something where we can calculate if Alaska cruise is worth or not, not some assumptions and guesses, there got to be something, i really think if there is a 20 years old DUI and you don't plan on driving in Canada with a proof of itinerary that you do go back home immediately, I don't see any risk to the country, however with so much uncertainty, people don't want to risk.

Last edited:
DUIs don't kill people - drunk drivers kill people. People with DUIs are just the small percentage of people who got caught.

(Don't drink and drive! And be cautious of how medications affect your driving!)
I agree and those who got caught should suffer! the chances you can commit any driving related offense is seriously small with 4 hours window jump from the plane to the ship, they should consider this as well.

yes, me :) thank you, ok, so-called waiver per Carnival is TRP and no, you cannot get it a few weeks prior your cruise, you must plan 4 months average and is not guaranteed you will even be approved, you can get TRP at the border if it is emergency, there are some states you can become rehabilitated after some times and some state that no matter how long ago the crime occurred, you always can have a problem, however, I cannot imaging considering the ship capacity they will automatically throw out everyone who has ever had DUI record. That being said - may be they run a report yo show any criminal convictions (dismissal / withdrawal does not count) within past 5 years - flag those "guests", anything else will be dismissed and let on the ship, I don't know - I am hysterical at the moment but definitely will go back and repost - people want to know and hear real stories, Unless i warn in advance by the cruise that my husband will be denied 100%, i will try to board him a ship, just the whole thing is sad because many of us here to see Alaska not Canada, and because of some over 100 years old law which I don't even know why we need in the first place especially now for cruise ships not traders, we need to suffer, I personally don't have any criminal record so not that 50% f population suffer but think of situations and there are so many! a family - big family, one member is in question from 20 years old DUI, people where I know most likely will be admitted, those who are less patient, decides just quit and go to Caribbean instead, no one wants to just for 4 hours in Canada apply and wait for TRP and Canada to decide let go or not let go or take chances, they must come up with some alternative to the issue as I mentioned - something like a sealed bus if they don't want to change 100 years old needless law, or design something specifically for cruise ship passengers - something where we can calculate if Alaska cruise is worth or not, not some assumptions and guesses, there got to be something, i really think if there is a 20 years old DUI and you don't plan on driving in Canada with a proof of itinerary that you do go back home immediately, I don't see any risk to the country, however with so much uncertainty, people don't want to risk.
If Canada gives you an issue getting into the country you could always visit Alaska by land instead of cruise and fly there.

i really think if there is a 20 years old DUI and you don't plan on driving in Canada with a proof of itinerary that you do go back home immediately, I don't see any risk to the country, however with so much uncertainty, people don't want to risk.
That's just it. Even with proof that you have onward travel, and (apparently) have no plans on actually driving in Canada, they can't count on that.

I'm sure there are people who've lied about onward travel who just stayed in countries when they weren't supposed to.

Canada doesn't wan't people who they deem "felons" in their country.

People are smart not to take any chance. We can't take for granted that the officers will let people with (old) DUI get in our Country. They don't owe them anything.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter