Cruising with 1 y/o- safety measures?

momto2dkids

<font color=purple>Now blessed to be proud Mommy t
We will be cruising with our 1 year old DD soon and need the help of the experts on the DIS boards. Since she has just gotten the hang of walking, she loves exploring anything, everywhere. I would love for her to be able to explore our room safely without having to tell her no all the time.

I know she won't be able to open the door to the verandah herself and plan to put the various nick nacks that might be out, up and out of her reach, but am trying to think of other things that might pose a safety problem for her. I am trying to put together a box of things to bring, i.e. suction hooks for hanging wet swimsuits in bathroom, over the door hanger and am wondering if I should also bring some safety outlet covers.

Does anyone remember the location of the various electrical outlets particularly in cat 4 room? How many are exposed?

If any moms or dads out there remember anything in particular in or about the room to be aware of or have any ideas to help make the room as safe as possible for a 1 year old, I would love to hear them.

Thanks

We learned of a minor hazard the tough way. When we cruised DS had just started cruising(no pun intended). Once he fell and hit his head right on the tracks for the closet door. At first we thought it was a fluke thing, but then he did it again a while later. After the second time we smartened up and learned to keep the closet door shut. :rolleyes: ;)
Good luck!

The one thing that was a major toddler hazard was the toilet -- if they lift up the seat and drop it on their hand, because there is a big lip on it, it creates quite the bruise. Our 19 month old did this on the first night and had a nasty bruise to show for it.

Either keep the bathroom door closed or bring a toilet lock.

As for the outlets, most of them are either hidden or up high -- like by the desk.

Marcy

Thanks CamColt- I would never have thought of the tracks of the closet as a a potential hazard.

Thanks to you MarcyIn Florida as well-
At home I keep the door to our downstairs bathroom closed mainly because I worry about accidental drowning so I will more than likely do this on the ship as well.

Does anyone know if deck rails are plexi-glassed? My DS will have just turned 2 when we cruise & he loves to run & climb. I'm afraid that he will get away from me & try to climb one of the deck rails! :eek:

If I remember correctly from our last cruise two years ago, the decks have plexiglass top to bottom on the inside of the railings thus preventing climbing. My husband was paranoid that our then 3 year old would climb the rails and fall overboard. He realized as soon as we boarded that that was not going to be possible. We did have a verandah room and again it had the plexiglass inside of the railing so my DS could look out at the ocean but couldn't climb it. Just watch out for nearby deck chairs that could be climbed on! :earseek:

I think there are some verandahs that have metal (navigator) verandahs, mostly in the aft of the ship, that might pose more of a problem if you have a climber, but I haven't seen one personally so I don't know for sure.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter