Cruises and VERY prone to motion sickness.

My DD#2 took Bonine nightly, starting the night before we boarded for our 10 night Hawaii cruise and did extremely well. She is VERY sensitive to motion. She only had a problem one day and that was on a rough sea day when we were doing the Pacific crossing from Hawaii to Vancouver. We had a total of 5 consecutive sea days on this crossing and the Pacific is known to have a very strong current pattern that causes "rolling" which is generally harder on the motion sensitive. DD and I both were really pleased, if not a little surprised, that she did as well as she did on this itinerary knowing her long history of motion sickness.

One thing I would advise trying for those that have more than mild motion sickness is to go to the spa the very first evening and have the acupuncturist place some "seeds" that can help with motion sickness. We did not find out about this option until Night #10, but they did seem to help my DD. It was a very nominal cost, $25 as I recall. The "seeds" are tiny little acupressure type adhesive patches (super tiny, like the size of a small pea), and DD's were placed in and around her ear and one on her temple. They have a tiny little knob that is not nearly as sharp as a needle. The acupuncturist advised her to press on one specific one of them if she started feeling motion. If she cruises again on DCL she is going to go straight to the Spa and have these seeds placed. They seemed to help. This was in addition to the Bonine nightly.

My first cruise was a 4 day on one of Royal Caribbean's smaller ships and I HATED it, I had an awful time and was sick the whole cruise. I thought I'd never cruise again, but I'm really glad I gave DCL a try.

I take bonine and ginger pills for my motion sickness.

My youngest (DD13) started with the Bonine the day before we flew down for our 7 day eastern in May. Then Bonine and ginger candy daily during the cruise. Worked well. She did have one rough night (we left St Thomas to head north to Castway Cay). Ship speed was much higher that night.

I have one kid who gets motion sick on a bus. We take a meclizine starting the day before the cruise. Only needed to take one a day worked good. Not being a sedative like Dramamine was important for us (unless you are trying to sleep)

My first cruise was a 4 day on one of Royal Caribbean's smaller ships and I HATED it, I had an awful time and was sick the whole cruise. I thought I'd never cruise again, but I'm really glad I gave DCL a try.

I take bonine and ginger pills for my motion sickness.

Ginger pills? Like you get from the vitamin store? What milligram?

I would suggest you call your family Doctor who knows you and can suggest a medication that would best work for you.

AKK

Three of the four of us in our family are prone to motion sickness. I take regular nightly doses of Dramamine and supplement with ginger. Ginger ale and rum is my go to drink. My wife is a frequent international traveler and she swears by the patch. She never has any side effects. Our daughter gets by fine with the sea bands. We have only cruised on 3-night trips. On these, the days are spent in port, so a majority of your waking time is rather secure.

Thank you all! Thinking we may start with a small 3-4 day cruise and see how that goes. =)

The first night out of Port Canaveral, as you cross the Florida Straits, is the worst night on a normal-weather cruise. Very bumpy. I don't get seasick but the first night of the first Bahamas cruise I was a little nervous! Thankfully a kind kid's club counselor told me about the first night being the worst, and it was.

My MIL was on an Alaskan cruise the first night at dinner, and suddenly her server gave her a bowl of sliced green apples and a small bowl of salt to dip them in. He saw that she was going a bit green, and brought those to help. She ate a few slices (dipped in the salt), and it perked her right back up. No nausea anymore.

Many many years ago I cruised on one of the smaller Royal Caribbean ships and it was a miserable 8 days to say the least. Hubby and I both are reluctant to cruise again because of this but I hear such awesome things about the Disney cruises, I don't want to miss out if the ships have changed/gotten more stable, etc. (PS: We are not interested in Land/Sea packages at all...we've done WDW 4 times in 4 years and have had our fill.)

Also there are cruises that now depart out of NYC but it appears to be Disney's older and smaller ship (Disney Magic). Is it worth it to fly to a different port?

Lastly, which cruise is the best scenic/adventure wise for a girl turning 9 in December. (I'm thinking of a Fall 2016 cruise.)

TIA!

I used to use dramamine and few other drugs, but they ALL made me feel really bad and had terrible side effects. I found on Amazon a product called 'motion cure' and im so happy with it!!. i really recommend it!. hopefully it will help you like it helped me..... Good Luck :)

I sailed with Royal Caribbean for my very first cruise as well on a smaller ship that is now retired. I got super sea sick. Now I wear the patch and drink ginger ale with dinner each night. The patch makes me feel dizzy for a couple of days with dry mouth though. Bonine might be the way to go, but I'd bring a patch along just in case. I noticed when I book mid-ship on a lower deck I don't feel much motion while in the cabin.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter