Cruise secrets that DCL doesn't tell you

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by misseulalie, Mar 7, 2007.

1. tkalita

tkalita Born with Minnie ears!

I use them all the time too but it supposedly damages the doors :( We're doing the Breakaway next July. Big group for my sister's wedding in Bermuda. I'm dying to know what you thought about it!

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. bonrea

bonrea Family-Above All Else In Life

I send DH to Home Depot to get some large 3M brand stick on hooks to hang the "hanger" on. They stick to the door and the sticky thingy pulls right off when we are packing for home. You must read the instructions to make sure you stick and remove the device properly or it will leave a mess.
    Our cabin steward mentioned that DCL is asking guests not to use sticky stuff but I showed him how it is removed without leaving a mess. He loved it and said he would let his supervisor know that they should recommend them over the "over the door" devices.

Happy Sailing!!!

p.s.: DH gets the big green ones that have a high weight support listing. I've hung my large Dooney and Bourke DCL bag on it and it holds the bag and all my stuff in it. LOL and I have a lot of stuff in it. :cool1:

4. MDennis28

MDennis28 Mouseketeer

I think Disney has also banned these hooks as well. Some don't come off as easily and cleanly as others :-/ Bummed because I already packed mine.

5. carissa1970

carissa1970 DIS Veteran

We were able to hang a strong rope/ string through ours, and hang it on the hooks already on the wall.

[​IMG]

6. MickeyWatcher

MickeyWatcher Mouseketeer

I zip tied my shoe holder to a hanger, and then hung it on the hook outside that bathroom. (The hanger was one that I got from a dry cleaner that is used for quilts. Much stronger than a regular hanger.)

Worked great!

7. emmedancer

emmedancer DIS Veteran

thats what i did with my shoe organizer. zip ties are a must!

8. Patsydust

Patsydust Mousketeer

Wow! Thanks everyone! These are some really fantastic tips!

9. pfp258

pfp258 Mouseketeer

This is one area where Disney would be wise to listen to us repeat cruisers....we need hooks, lots of hooks where possible. And our Mediterranean cruise this past July on the Magic I saw lots of places where some of those nice big hooks would help us out!

10. aan1701

aan1701 DIS Veteran

I guess I am really missing something. 12 cruises with DCL and we have never needed to hang a shoe organizer or needed hook. We really must be doing something wrong.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using DISBoards

11. Phantomzkb

Phantomzkb Earning My Ears

Yes I am so happy to say that the Fantasy does serve the Banana almost daily, it is also my favorite. Enjoy !:wave2:

12. GoofyLovingFamily

GoofyLovingFamily Mouseketeer

That banana ice cream is my favorite too. Glad it is still available.

13. tinkerone

tinkerone DIS Veteran

ditto. I have never needed them. I guess I need to pack more 'stuff'. i'm missing out on something....:rotfl:

14. canadiandisneycruise

canadiandisneycruise Mouseketeer

We've only done 2, but we never used it either. Brought it the first time, and left it there! I found there to be lots of shelving, and I bring a lot of stuff! Lol!

15. DannyDisneyFreak

DannyDisneyFreak Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas.

What's the Breakaway that some have mentioned?

16. GoofyLovingFamily

GoofyLovingFamily Mouseketeer

Breakaway is a Norwegian Cruise Line new ship.

17. PoohJen

PoohJen <font color=green>Willing to share a Mickey Bar?<b

The shoe holders were just super convenient; it wasn't a matter of necessity or for lack of space. They were really easy. The prior poster wasn't missing anything by not bringing one; it's just a matter of personal preference.

I loved it so much, I now have one on the back of my laundry room door!:thumbsup2

18. DannyDisneyFreak

DannyDisneyFreak Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas.

Thank you, I thought I was missing a new port or event or something.

19. kgundyfire

kgundyfire Earning My Ears

I love this idea! Question though, do you eat off of the signed plates? I was thinking it would be great to get these for the kids and have them signed and keep adding to it every time we cruise, but I'd like to be able to eat off of them and not sure if the sharpie signatures last with being ate on and thrown into the dish washer.

20. Patsydust

Patsydust Mousketeer

Well there are many tutorials that say if you place sharpie'd items in a cold oven and let it rise to temperature 350 and leave in for 30 minutes that the sharpie will become permanent. Just type 'baking sharpie on ceramic' into Google. Some people say it works perfectly and other say it doesn't. My advice, would be to test it out on another cheapy craft store item and if it works go for it on the plates!

Goodluck!

Patsydust
    :tink:

21. Kendal

Kendal DIS Veteran

I guess u could do it Nd if it comes off ten just have it signed again next trip.... Kinda like a lesson learned type of thing lol please don't take me serious I am not trying to step in anyone's tows here

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards