Cruise secrets that DCL doesn't tell you

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by misseulalie, Mar 7, 2007.

1. ethanash1

ethanash1 A little bit of Pixie Dust can fix almost anything

Post it notes are fine. The "no sticky" rule was implemented because cruisers were using double sided foam tape and similar products on their doors. It was peeling off the paint, so there's no tape allowed any longer. I used post it notes on our last cruise with no issues at all. They're harmless...

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. tnbeth1972

tnbeth1972 Earning My Ears

Regarding the extra appetizer: Do we just put it in our room and write our housekeeping CM's name on it? How do we give out extra things like candy or stuff I bring from home? This is our first Disney Cruise. We had other cruises in the past and never thought about things like this.

4. EWL

EWL In Pursuit of Enchanted Tiki Birds

OK... something not sinking in here. :lmao: I get doing this on the last night when there is no room service the next morning (although even then, they get you up so early...) but why on other nights? Why not just order it in the morning? No waiting? Or do they only deliver in the morning according to the continental breakfast timeslots and you get up even before the first one? :surfweb:

5. Susiesark

Susiesark DIS Veteran

I bring goody bags to give to the guest services desk, when leaving something to sign, and a daily treat for the room steward along with a thank you note. On the last day I've left a large box of Oreos for the Oceaneers Club & Lab.

6. Codie

Codie DIS Veteran

What kind of daily treats?

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

7. ddixon1

ddixon1 Mouseketeer

I ordered a carafe of hot water on the last night, and cream and sugar. It stayed piping hot until the next morning. I added my Via, and was good, to go!

8. Shartman79

Shartman79 First Time Cruiser

Love the pillowcase idea!!

9. itzkelly

itzkelly Earning My Ears

Just finished reading all these wondeful tips! Thanks so much! :dance3:

10. triciari

triciari DIS Veteran

I think they open ay 7 am. I am an early riser - 5:15 or so - and want my coffee!!! (Although I'm hoping I'll sleep later on the ship!)

11. Susiesark

Susiesark DIS Veteran

Candy bars, unpopped/micro popcorn. I've also heard about giving international phone cards, but I don't know if they would include all countries.

12. ctomblin

ctomblin Earning My Ears

Thanks for all the great tips!

13. mgmcpa

mgmcpa Disneyland Lover

Just got back from the July 23rd week Alaska cruise ... my biggest surprises (as someone who read all the threads on here for months):

#1 - Tracy Arm day
    Despite having a sold out ship and the first sunny day on Tracy Arm all season, there was no issue at all getting a spot on the rail on Deck 4 at 3pm (as we pulled up to the glacier). We have a 6 year-old and had made the decision that we couldn't camp out all day for this and would just hope for a glimpse ... nope, we walked out on Deck 4 and got a great spot immediately. Took photos with Minnie & Donald, enjoyed the sights, went in for awhile to go a princess tea, then returned at 4:30pm and got the good rail spot again.

I'm so happy we didn't spend an extra $2k for a veranda for this day, there were tons of free, great spots on Deck 4!

#2 - Clear Plastic Shoe Holder
    That really was awesome. I thought I'd be a bit overboard with this, but honest, the bathrooms are so tiny that you don't want to have all the medicines, brushes, make-up, etc everywhere. With this shoe holder hanging on the door (we hung it into the hallway outside the bathroom), everything was easy to find and there was very little chaos in getting ready.

#3 - Clock was horrible
    We had a digital clock with an iPad docking station that came with our room. What a hunk of junk. Couldn't get the time to change (and I'm not bad at this sort of thing) on the 2 time change days and had to call maintenance. Didn't glow at night. If you need a clock, bring your own.

#4 - Palo - skip dinner, go to the brunch
    Brunch is incredible! Dinner is like going to any fancy restaurant back home ... go to brunch! We went at 11am and at 1pm when we were ready to leave they kept insisting we stay and relax longer, watching humpback whales out the window.

14. DizDays

DizDays DVC & D23 Member

We had the same problem, as did our entire dining table. We already have an alarm clock packed for the next cruise. I can't understand why everything else is such good quality (especially the bedding!) but these clocks stink.

Thanks for sharing some great information!

15. acourtwdw

acourtwdw DIS Veteran

There are cards in your stateroom that you hang on your door before you turn in for the night. You pick the time that you want the items delivered in the morning. RS calls you about 15 minutes before they are going to deliver your items. If you wait to order in the morning, you will be waiting for your order. This way there is no waiting...and the phone call is used as a wake up call. I like to do this since the clocks in the staterooms are horrible and I don't always remember to set the alarm on my phone esp if there is a time change.

16. anett

anett Mouseketeer

:hourglass Counting the time away so that we can use all these wonderful tips! Thanks

17. Bonniec

Bonniec DIS Veteran

Can they really accept that? If so, Id bring them a whole meal lol

18. Renysmom

Renysmom <font color=darkorchid>Just wondering what is goin

No they can't accept it. Some will be nice and say thank you then toss it as soon as you are out of sight.

There are huge disciplinary actions if they do according to former CM's who post here on the boards

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

19. Bonniec

Bonniec DIS Veteran

That's what I thought. Too bad though.

Id love to hear froma current C on if there is anything they do like. Phone cards I get. Candy....Im wondering if they would really eat it.

Im glad to hear that writing about them helps. Ive written in about 2 CMs from the parks who were amazing. I try to remember their names and write about them.

20. ksbellerma

ksbellerma Earning My Ears

"Originally Posted by ariesmom
    Apparently we can Topsiders (is it Beach Blanket on Wonder?) for breakfast buffet option on disembarkation morning."

What is this exactly. Would love to do this with my family. We are first time cruisers and this would be great to do.

Thank you

21. erk711

erk711 Mouseketeer

Finally made it through 5 years and 5 months worth of posts!! Thanks for all the amazing tips and the compilation with the Google doc!!!

My tip (which I saw elsewhere and plan to use on our first cruise....so excited) is to use a zip tie to secure your FE to the fish as there have been some thefts.