Cruise secrets that DCL doesn't tell you

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by misseulalie, Mar 7, 2007.

1. mickeyfan1

mickeyfan1 <font color=purple>Come and let me show you my tat

The standard tip amount will be chaged to your room account, beginning very soon. You may add to it with cash at the end of the cuise, go to guest services and add to it using our account or change the tip amount as you see fit. Cash or room charge, they are not taxed on the $ paid them. As far as do they pay taxes at home, you would hae to ask a CM. As to the bartenders or bar staff, I don't know if the auto tip and anything above goes to the server or the bartender or is split. I assume that if you order from a server, that person gets the tip, if you are at the bar and the bartender serves you, that person gets the tip. Again, you would have to ask them directly about taxes, anyone here, unless they have held that position, would be speculating.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. jiminwi38

jiminwi38 Earning My Ears

Thank you so much for the info this is a great site i will let you know about the fantsy when we return

4. DLW8

DLW8 DIS Veteran

When rebooking onboard, there is not need to actually wait in line or visit the booking desk personally. There are quote request cards that you can pick up at the booking desk. Fill it out, drop it off and they will return the quote to your room. Then, if you decide you want to book it, call the # on the card and you will get the confirmation delivered to your room.

If you aren't sure when you can cruise again, book a "dummy date" and then you can change it to whenever you want and you keep the discount and OBC.

I have read way too many posts about people that didn't book onboard and then regret it as soon as the leave the ship.

5. rescuetink

rescuetink DDC Member #428 A DCL Loving Family!! W

This is what I did!! When we sailed 11/2011 I booked the last 3 day cruise at the end of 2013 and we'll change it to a 7 day cruise at another time!! This kept the initial deposit LOW, and allows me time to find the cruise I want without feeling pressured to decide onboard. But I'm locked into the 10% discount!! :yay: And if you decide you won't cruise you can always get your deposit back!! NOT US!! WE'RE GOING!!! :woohoo:

On another note...

... I keep getting request email to "share" the document I made with all the cruise secrets that have been posted here (I have some updating to do!!) Can someone please explain to me what it is that your asking for? :scratchin I thought that by posting it here I was "sharing" it!?!? :rolleyes:

6. Crecia27

Crecia27 Earning My Ears

I just want to say thanks for all of the info - especially the word doc! I really didn't think it was possible to be more excited for our first Disney cruise - and then I found this board!

Also my husband and wallet greatly appreciate the rebooking a 3/4 day cruise while onboard! I'm 99.99% sure I will want to do the Fantasy in 2014. :wizard:

7. Tikifamily

Tikifamily Earning My Ears

I just finished reading all 63 pages and have 3 pages of notes. Incredible information! I loved the abc photo shoot idea. We have less than 60 days until Alaska and we have our pillowcases ready to go. Thanks for the suggestion to use fabric markers instead of sharpies.

8. DisneyMouseHouse

DisneyMouseHouse <a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/" targ DIS Lifetime Sponsor

If it's like the ones in Europe and other places, it doesn't need to be a magnetic card, any piece of plastic will do - there's a "main switch" that's hit when the card is inserted and it allows the A/C etc etc to be left on in the room......

I can see why they'd want to tie the lights to that switch, but not the A/C - oh, well......... :rotfl2:

9. DisneyMouseHouse

DisneyMouseHouse <a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/" targ DIS Lifetime Sponsor

With Google Docs, you can opt to "share"' (blue button in the upper RH corner of the page) the google doc so that others can add it to their list of Google docs and don't have to bookmark it or keep coming back to the DISBoard thread to find the link.....

When you share it, you have the option to let others edit it or for it to be just like it is, "read only"....

We have numerous cruise docs shared so that others can edit them - like a packing list we've shared among our Facebook Group, and also a "things to do before you leave" list :) :blush:

Hope that helps and makes sense......

Beverly

10. thinz

thinz Earning My Ears

Thanks to all who posted tips!

Our first cruise is in less than a month and I'm sure these tips will help raise the level of magic. I especially can't wait to bring junk food for our CM's! popcorn::

Happy cruising! :flower3:

11. txtricia

txtricia Mouseketeer

Thanks for all the great tips! We sail for the first time on DCL in 4 months. We have been on a number of cruises but there is so much info specific to DCL.

12. lookitsaplane

lookitsaplane Proud owner of Disney Stock! :D

13. rescuetink

14. CMJeanae

CMJeanae Earning My Ears

Thank you!

One other tip - I was talking with one of the entertainers, mentioned that we were doing the signatures thing on our next cruise, and what food offerings were most loved and he said they get a good amount of candy but very little heathy treats. So granola bars, raisins, etc. of course, he was obviously careful with his figure but he can't be the only one.

Oh, and he just lit up when I mentioned the food offerings. They're very appreciated. :)

15. jiminwi38

All i can say is that the tips on this page are great. My cruise on the Fantasy is still 5 months away I am takeing tee shirts to have them singed for my granddaughter and grandson. what a great Christmas gift that is if i can wait to give them to them hehehe

16. rescuetink

popcorn:: Just Bumping!!!

17. scrapbookingtigger

scrapbookingtigger Mouseketeer

Thank you so much for sharing your list! Saved in my DCL file on my computer! Thank you thank you thank you to everyone for all the helpful tips!!:cool1:

18. rescuetink

I need to update the secrets document with some of these that I know aren't on it!! I promise to get to it soon!! :surfweb:

19. jiminwi38

What a great list i am going to keep reading the up dates and then make a copy just a few weeks befor my cruise there are some graet gits ideas

20. taximom00

taximom00 Mouseketeer

While I haven't cruised Disney before, here's my tip re: fabric markers.

They are not all created equal and Sharpie now makes fabric markers. Best ones I've ever found!!

Also, wash and dry the item you are bringing to be signed before you leave home.

The markers will adhere better and you will run less of a risk of colors fading/bleeding due to sizing in fabric.

21. sthissell

sthissell Earning My Ears

I am still reading through this thread, so it may be answered in a post that I haven't read, but is there a maximum number of items that can be signed per cabin? We will have two cabins, but there are 3 kids. Also, I would love to do the pillowcase, but we are having special autograph books made. We tend to go to Disneyworld a lot and I have found that I enjoy not having the autograph books (because you get much better pictures without trying to juggle autograph books). Would be able to get 6 items signed between the two rooms?