Cruise secrets that DCL doesn't tell you- Part 2

My family and I boarded the Fantasy this past April. Our DD8, DD4, and DS3 all attended the kids club. Once I was allowed to go in and take my DS in their family bathroom instead of checking him out...It was very spacious and had wipes and other necessities that one might need for their child(ren). It was great!!

one cruise secret for me is to never use the elevators at all..EVER....
logic: wont feel as guilty about eating all that yummy food, and works up an appetite to eat more yummy food. :)

I agree, and that's a reason, given a choice, that we like to pick a room in a middle deck. Its never more than a few flights up or down to where we want to go.

(Speaking for Port Canaveral) Unless it's your once in a lifetime cruise, don't bother arriving super early unless there are ticketed events you need to get onboard to obtain. Arrive at the terminal after 1:00, usually no line for check in or boarding the ship and your room is ready at 1:30 so you can go straight there, drop off any carry on items and then go have lunch.

Again, unless it's your only cruise where you need to experience everything, ride the AquaDuck on Pirate night after dinner. No line whatsoever. I personally prefer doing this over leaving Castaway Cay early as that is the other best time. I like all the Castaway time I can get! lol

Don't be afraid to ask for something. If you don't find something you like on your menu that night, ask for alternatives. Most of the servers are more than happy to grab you something from another of the restaurants if they can and have time. At the same time, don't abuse that option and if you do ask for something out of the ordinary, please tip them appropriately. If the servers are willing to step up their game for you, please be willing to do the same for them :-) (My personal thoughts and opinions of course.)

AFTER 1:00, you have to be kidding me.....

Worse advice ever!

Free samples of non-drowsy seasickness medicine (Meclizine, 2 chewable tablets/package) are located in bins just outside of the Health Center on deck 1 forward. The sign says to only take 1 sample/person and that seasickness medication can be purchased in the shops (I went with the theory that there are 4 people in our cabin and took 4 samples). You don't need to speak to anyone to get samples. There is also a Motion Sickness Informational sheet you can take with you.

Thank you to everyone who has mentioned this advice before! I used it for DD16 on our first cruise, the Alaskan one--she needed it on sea days.

Disagree. For someone who's done a few cruises, going on 7 night cruise and isn't a pool person, this makes a lot of sense. Doesn't make sense for everyone but under the right conditions I agree with this advice.

Have done 11 Disney.

I agree if you don't have young ones, or want to use the pool. But you could still relax and eat lunch then go to room

Have done 11 Disney.

I agree if you don't have young ones, or want to use the pool. But you could still relax and eat lunch then go to room

The problem is that lunch at Cabanas tends to be very crowded until 1:30pm when people go to their rooms. We have decided to go with the late arrival plan next time as well. I know that it will work for us.

Of course one of the cruise secrets that has not been mentioned is that there is also lunch offered at Enchanted Garden/Cariocas/Tiana's Place. And that it is usually less crowded there and you get a server to bring you your drinks and an assigned table.

"Of course one of the cruise secrets that has not been mentioned is that there is also lunch offered at Enchanted Garden/Cariocas/Tiana's Place. And that it is usually less crowded there and you get a server to bring you your drinks and an assigned table."

If it's extremely windy, lunch in the restaurant may be better than at Cabanas. On our last cruise we had my MIL in a wheelchair so we intentionally went to Parrot Cay instead of Beach Blanket. I think the general "guides" on board tend to direct you to Cabanas so you may have to tell the CMs that you want lunch elsewhere.

For small families or families with not alot of luggage heading to WDW after their cruise, you can rent a car from Alamo nearby the port and return to to the Swan/Dolphin or the Disney Care Center for cheaper than the Disney transfers. Saves time and money.

Not sure it's really a secret but you can add transfers from the ship to the airport while on the cruise. We had a car rental scheduled on our last cruise but decided to let MIL and SIL take the transfers to the airport so the rest of us could hang out at Downtown Disney until our later flight. That worked really well especially as MIL was in a wheelchair and the bus was wheelchair equipped.

Just to follow on to the past couple of posts...if you're combining your cruise with WDW/Orlando, also price out keeping the car for the entire time. It may turn out to be much more expensive, but, in our case (at the time) doing so pushed us into a weekly rate that was comparable to two one way rentals, even with parking added in. A couple advantages to this if it works out $-wise: you can leave things in the car (clean/dirty) that you don't need on the ship and the car is right there when you get off the ship...no shuttles involved. We didn't, but also consider staying at a Port Canaveral hotel the night before...several will get you discounted parking at the port.

Sorry, have to join the chorus of cruisers that prefer to get onboard asap. I enjoy having that time between boarding and the room being ready to book mixology/wine tasting, square away kids club stuff, eat a leisurely lunch, enjoy the pool (if it's a hot day in PC), get a drink and relax.

Getting on after 1pm, everything would feel extremely rushed -- not at all the the way I want to start a vacation.

For small families or families with not alot of luggage heading to WDW after their cruise, you can rent a car from Alamo nearby the port and return to to the Swan/Dolphin or the Disney Care Center for cheaper than the Disney transfers. Saves time and money.
What is the Disney Care Center?

What is the Disney Care Center?

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/car-care-center/

As an example, we rented a full size (Nissan Altima) for $89 included a booster seat for my daughter. So, we'll take our own bags off and do the express debarkation, drive to our resort (Animal Kingdom Lodge) and drop off our luggage. Spend the morning at a park, the hit a grovery and go back to Animal Kingdom Lodge to drop off groceries. The rental car has to be returned at 4pm so we just plan to drop it off at the Swan at 4 pm and spend that evening at either Hollywood Studios or Epcot.

I remember reading somewhere at some point that there was cake of the day on DCL. Is that still going on?

Also, I'm not sure if it's a secret, but it seems sweet. You can have milk and cookies ordered through room service during the evenings.

We have done 12 cruises and we still want to board ASAP.
Waiting till after 1 would be torture for us. We love cabanas have lunch up there then relax at satellite falls until 130.
agree with this post!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter