• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cruise line transfer w toddler

TwoSpringers

Earning My Ears
i booked a transfer through cruise line but I'm curious what people do with small kids in car seats. It's a longer drive so I'd prefer my child (20m) to be in her car seat. Are there seat belts on the bus? Thanks

I'm almost positive that Disney does not allow car seats on the buses because there are no seat belts. The buses are designed to protect riders in a different fashion (by size and construction) assuming those riders are sitting in the correct way (forward facing specifically). You could keep the child in your lap, but I get that a 1+ hour ride is a long time to hold a kid down.

I'm travelling with a 6, 3 and 21M old myself in a week, and would welcome other suggestions. I have a CARES harness for the plane ride, but doubt that it would work in a bus without a seatbelt (and not even sure it would be a good idea).

I'm almost positive that Disney does not allow car seats on the buses because there are no seat belts. The buses are designed to protect riders in a different fashion (by size and construction) assuming those riders are sitting in the correct way (forward facing specifically). You could keep the child in your lap, but I get that a 1+ hour ride is a long time to hold a kid down.

I'm travelling with a 6, 3 and 21M old myself in a week, and would welcome other suggestions. I have a CARES harness for the plane ride, but doubt that it would work in a bus without a seatbelt (and not even sure it would be a good idea).
Let me know how you make out, please. I started looking into private car services, might be the best option if we want to keep her in the car seat. I did the bus from MCO to WDW in January, but kept her in the ergo as she was only 8M.

You would have to stow a car seat under the bus with the other carry on luggage, strollers, etc. If you used a car service - Happy Limo, for example - you can request a car seat ($7 surcharge, I believe) for your toddler. I have the same situation as you. Used the transfer bus at WDW - no car seats for my 21 mo, he just sat on our laps. However, on our upcoming cruise, we are doing Happy Limo instead of the DCL transfer and adding a car seat.

Car seats are not allowed. Some of the buses have seatbelts for some reason. But coach buses are built in a way so seatbelts are not needed. Just like city buses don't have them.

I am a huge car seat proponent and my son was in the maximum safest sort of seat situation until he was truly done with them, and I won't let him sit in the front with an airbag until he's 13 (the age in wa for front seat being ok), but buses are different beasts.

There have been seatbelts in the bus the last two times we used it:
orlando 2014 bus seat belt 14016 P1020136 1500.jpg

However, it's my understanding that you can't use regular car seats with the belts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter