Cruise fashion

lilosurf11

Mouseketeer
So I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread about cruise fashion. I've seen a lot of people asking what to wear, what kinds of clothing to bring, etc. and that's ok. So post your ideas and suggestions; I think it will help a lot of people!:cool1:

Great idea for a post!!! I don't have any pics to contribute but I'm looking forward to seeing everyone else's.

I pack capri's rather than shorts for our trips. I had all different colors (black, navy, khaki, etc.). They can be dressed up or down depending upon the shirt or shoes you pair with them and can are good for both warm days and cooler days.

I also packed one white lightweight zip up sweatshirt that went with everything I owned and one ivory colored shawl that I used with my dressier stuff (sleeveless cocktail dress at Palo on a windy night, for example).

One pair of sneakers, one pair of brown slide sandals, one pair of silver strappy sandals, and one pair black flip flops was all I needed for the week.

Great idea! I will be keeping my eyes on this thread.
I'm on a 7 night med cruise and I think i'm fairly comfortable about what clothes to take for for myself and DD, it's DH and DS3 i'm worried about.

It's really difficult in the UK (I find) to get smart pants for boys...lots of "smart" jeans and lovely shorts. Think I may need to up the cruise budget :goodvibes:goodvibes

I normally wear casual capris or skorts during the day. Most nights I wear dressier capris or a skirt with a nice blouse or a sun dress. On formal nights and at Palo I wear a cocktail dress. The trick is trying to limit the number of shoes. I still have problems in that area. I usually bring nice walking sandals for day time and a bit dressier sandals for evening. I tend to bring 2 or 3 colors of each. And by the time I add tennis shoes for working out, heels for the cocktail dresses, and flip flops for by the pool; I am up to 7 or 8 pairs of shoes.

DH has a much easier time. For formal attire he just brings one suit and changes out the shirt and tie for each event. On normal nights he wears Khakis and a polo shirt to dinner. He wears shorts or jeans during the day. For shoes he only needs 4 pair; tennis shoes, his Keens, brown leather slip-ons for dinner, and black dress shoes.

I'm really glad to see the responses so far and it's good to see that people like this thread!!!:cool1:

Urgh! I hate packing for extended trips. This is what I usually pack when going to a tropical destination:

DH:
One nice suit for 'dress up night'
Hawaiian shirts
Khaki shorts
Lightweight tan slacks
Dressy shoes
Sneakers
Crocs
T-Shirts
Swim trunks
Sweat Shirt
Straw Hat
Sun glasses

DD:
Shorts
T-shirts
Sun dresses
Capris
Blouses
Sandals
Flip flops
Crocs
Princess outfit
Dressy dress and shoes
Lightweight zip up sweatshirt
Swimsuit
Sun Hat
Sun glasses

DS:
Hawaiian Shirts
T-shirts
Khakis
Shorts
Sneakers
Crocs
One pair of dressy shoes
One lightweight long sleeve shirt, pants, and belt for 'dress up night'
Swim trunks
Sun Hat
Sun glasses

Me:
A couple of sun dresses
Shorts
Capris
Blouses
T-Shirts
One nice dress up dress and dress up strappy pair of sandals
Flip flops
Teva casual non dressy sandals
Crocs
Swimsuit
Visor Hat and Straw Hat
Sunglasses

A few swimsuits are a must; on the bikini bring ones that can be mixed up to give a different look. example. i have black bottoms that can go with multiple tops. :rotfl:
Always bring a sporty swim suit for playing in the water.

Black flip flops that can be worn with swim suits and casual dinner atire.

I have a pair of dressy heeled sandals that are a combo of a clear strap & black patent that I try to wear with dressy capris on cruise casual nights and with cocktail dresses for semi-formal, formal & Palo. They really can go with a lot of things so if you watch what you pack something like that is very practical. I pack dresses for myself with some polyester in them so that they don't wrinkle. I pack them in those slippery garment bags from the dry cleaner in the garment bag to reduce the wrinkles too. I have a little black cocktail dress that is a MUST to bring. I also bring a wide sheer black scarf that I sometimes use as a shoulder wrap too with these dressier outfits. It gets COLD in the dining rooms so I also pack a lightweight sweater for the casual nights.

For DS, (if I can find them to fit), I bring a couple pair of those convertible zip-off pants. Not the track / exercise kind but the ones that are like cargo / khaki style. Those he can wear to dinner on cruise casual nights with his leather sandals then he can zip them off to wear as shorts the next day.

3 bathing suits & cover-ups + flip flops for the beach & pool. I do not wear flip flops to dinner. I bring dressier sandals for dinners.

Downey Wrinkle Release!:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

I read ages ago about collecting the freebie hangers and packing stuff on the hangers so you can quickly unpack, but what with all the shoes wt is an issue so we dont do it, but its a good idea,cause you dont have to bring them home.

We are cruising next January. I'm having a hard time deciding what to bring in the jacket/sweater/wrap category. I kind of want a sweater/jacket that I can wear at dinner or stuff in my bag when sightseeing. Part of the problem is that I used to have the perfect jacket many years ago. I can't find anything like it now. Being plus size doesn't help. Of course I hope to be many sizes smaller by the cruise. (Not holding my breath)

This is my first cruise so it is nice to see what everyone else is doing. Since we have been on many WDW vacations I usually wear a disney themed tee and nice chico or jcrew long (knee length) shorts. For the cruise I have made disney cruise type tee's and plan to do them with nice shorts. I have been keeping my eye out for nautical wear as well as that is in this year. I have found two skirts nautical theme to wear to dinner. Pirate night is what is giving me trouble. I am just not up for a lace up the front short pirate wench dresss. Maybe 15 yrs and 2 children ago. :)
Keep posting, this is intresting!
Ann, Dh and 2 boys.

And remember....cruising the Caribbean/Bahamas or any warm climate really has no season...meaning you can wear white and bright colors or tropical attire all year long!!!

I also mostly bring capri's and casual tops during the day and dressier tops for evening. I bring one pair of black dress slacks and usually a pant suit for semi-night and same pants but glittery top for formal night.

I always bring at least 3 bathing suits...I find we go to the pool alot and hate getting into a wet bathing suit.

MJ

If you asked my mom this question she would say anything gold lame and with sequins/rhinestones.

:goodvibes

I got 3 sarongs to wear on our cruise. They can be adjusted to be any length which will be good as we are going into Churches and Cathedrals in Europe. We can also use them as blankets on the flight over.
I also followed along the lines of the above poster with the switch flops. I opted to go with OneSoles though which have a sandal base and interchangeable, neoprene snap on sandal tops. I was looking into switch flops but was kind of worried about the comfort of the in-between toe thing. I haven't had much luck with flip flop type shoes. I'm not sure if I just have really sensitive skin or what but in between my toes can get pretty shredded up in flip flops.

These Lindsay Phillips Switch Flops have been the answer to my prayers as far as cruise shoes! I bought the "Lily" dressy sandal and have 4 or 5 different straps for them. They'll go with anything! They also have a dressy wedge, and flip flops from flat, to medium heel to wedge.:thumbsup2

http://www.switchflops.com/cart/home.php#shoe=lilly-black&strap=dflt

So cute! Thanks for this link....will definitely be looking into buying some of these before our October cruise!

I read ages ago about collecting the freebie hangers and packing stuff on the hangers so you can quickly unpack, but what with all the shoes wt is an issue so we dont do it, but its a good idea,cause you dont have to bring them home.

the throw-away hangers is a good idea but like you say with weight restrictions they are an unwelcome addition. I am planning to pack shoes into hand baggage to reduce weight in the check-in bags. I hope to manage with one or two pairs of strappy sandals, 2 pairs of wedges, one pair of flats for sightseeing and everyday stuff, one pair of beach shoes and one pair of lightweight trainers for the gym. DH will have trainers, formal shoes, and probably an everyday pair of lightweight shoes and a pair of sandals. Hopefully that will be enough.

I love those switch-flops but don't like the between-the-toe post either, so no good for me. Wish someone would invent inter-changeable sliders!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter