Crowds in December...early vs mid month...weekday vs weekend

goofy4wdw2

DIS Veteran
We're looking to do a last minute 3 night trip in December. Currently booked Tues-Fri 12/15-12/18 because that's what I could book through DVC but on waitlist for a Fri-Mon 12/4-12/7 because that's better with work schedule. I know weekends are generally busier than weekdays...just curious if weekends in December are crazier or less crazy in the parks than usual with the holidays around the corner. And curious if there's a big difference in crowds early December vs mid December. Thanks!

We're looking to do a last minute 3 night trip in December. Currently booked Tues-Fri 12/15-12/18 because that's what I could book through DVC but on waitlist for a Fri-Mon 12/4-12/7 because that's better with work schedule. I know weekends are generally busier than weekdays...just curious if weekends in December are crazier or less crazy in the parks than usual with the holidays around the corner. And curious if there's a big difference in crowds early December vs mid December. Thanks!

Our original trip this year was planned over the time you currently have booked. We have since rebooked- and are now there over the earlier times you are trying to get. Crowds are lower earlier even though it is a weekend. Not by much, though- and it is park dependent- but overall just slightly lower earlier in the month. It doesn't get really busy until the 19th- but on the 18th a couple of the parks are going to be pretty busy. Those marked increases at parks we wanted to attend on the 18th and 19th are the reason we moved our dates.

Keep in mind the Christmas Parade will likely be taping in MK that first weekend in Dec. I don't think it affects wait times too much, but there will prob be increased crowds on Main St and around the castle.

We will be there 12/13-12/20 and don't know what to expect as we haven't been in Dec. since 2006! It is just my adult DD and myself so we are planning to just go with the flow and enjoy celebrating her birthday on the 15th. The first time we went as a family was in 1993 for her 12th birthday. These kids just never outgrow Disney....thank goodness...

We've been the first week and then the week of like the 15th. It's usually "quiet" (because no time is quiet now) the first two weeks and as kids start getting out of school, crowds start increasing. It really just depends on when schools let out for the winter break. I found that after the 15th it gets busier and busier and busier and by the 20th I'm done.

We're planning a 12/10 arrival. I'm hoping things will be a bit more calm...But as it's been said, this has been an odd year with crowds!

We went that week last year (Dec. 2015), as my son who is in college had a fairly early start for his school break. The vast majority of schools won't be getting out till the next week (his school too this year unfortunately) and it's a pretty decent time to go. Our crowd levels were rated a six which is lighter than summer, spring break, Thanksgiving, etc. and waaay lighter than Christmas week with the 9s and 10s.

Be sure to be prepared for anything weather wise. We had great weather in the mid 70s and sunny during the day. Night time was mild, but great for jeans and a nice fleece.

The first week will be less busy than the second. No big difference on first weekend as PPer noted except for parade taping in MK. Second week expect crowds to increase a little each day. I've been going during this time since 2004; each year crowds are heavier, but still a great time to go! Expect headliners to have waits of 50 minutes or more by noon. Last year ToT was 70 minutes at 11:00 am. It's no longer the SLOW time it once was--but frankly NO time is SLOW anymore.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter