CROWDS??? Better BEFORE or AFTER Memorial Day???

Discussion in 'Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies' started by hstrickland, Jul 24, 2009.

1. hstrickland

hstrickland Way Down South...

Have a trip planned the week BEFORE Memorial Day May 22-29. Should we go the week after or stick with what we have??:confused: How have the crowds been in the past at this time?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Supermom3

Supermom3 DIS Veteran

I was wondering the same thing, but my dates would be may 27-june 3 or the week after that june 3-10. I'm also trying to catch Star Wars Weekends when we are there, but I'm not sure of when that is exactly.

My guess for you would be that the week of May 22-29 would be great. Schools really aren't out yet and you miss Memorial Day crowds.

4. BrianD

BrianD DIS Veteran

The week before is definitely better until the weekend of Memorial Day hits. That Saturday & Sunday are very crowded typically.

5. beccasmom

beccasmom DIS Veteran

I agree that the week before is better. It starts to pick up crowd-wise around the Memorial Day weekend.

6. 2MOdisneyfans

2MOdisneyfans Mouseketeer

We are planning a trip for the same time.

Our school gets out May 21st and I want to leave on the 22nd. The only thing I have to wait on, is to see if we have to make up snow days.

7. hstrickland

hstrickland Way Down South...

Supermom3, go to Touringplans.com and they already have Star Wars Wks posted on the calendar. Not sure if the dates are correct, but they're there. I believe you have to pay around $8 for a year subscription to this site. Has great information and a great crowd calendar.

8. WeLoveTheMouse

WeLoveTheMouse <font color=blue>Earned My Ears<br><font color=pur

Watch out for Gay Days that might hit after Memorial Day.

9. disnut8

disnut8 DIS Veteran

This year, most of the schools around the Atlanta area got out on the Wednesday before Memorial Day. So they were not heading to Disney World that week. If they were going to go, it would have been the week after Memorial Day. Seems like more Southeast schools are letting out sometime the week before Memorial Day which makes the week after the first full week of summer vacation.

10. redheadx3

redheadx3 DIS Veteran

The week before will be better. Most schools are not out yet.
    Our school get out June 2nd and my plan for now is to arrive on the 3rd and stay until 11th or 12th.

11. rie'smom

rie'smom <font color=green>"Always let your conscience be y

Go the week before Mem Day because this weekend is the official start of the summer tourism season at WDW. The crowds will be much smaller.

12. Supermom3

Supermom3 DIS Veteran

Thanks, great idea. I already have the subscription, too.

13. MOM POPPINS

MOM POPPINS <font color=red>I keep getting SOUVENIRS (wink) wh

Week before is much better! We went this year the week after and saw a difference in last year when we were there the week prior.

:)

14. catne

catne DIS Veteran

week before is much, much better. We went week before Mem Day weekend in 2007 & 2008. This year that schedule wouldn't work out, so we arrived Memorial Day weekend instead of leaving then. Memorial Weekend was very crowded, and the week after was more like 7s or 8s on the crowd calendar (instead of mostly 5s like we'd had years past in the previous week.) Besides there being a lot more families (many parts of the country do get out of school before Memorial Day, by the way. ) Also, the week after Memorial Day there were many, many, many school groups from local schools having their end-of-year field trip days or whatever...can't begin to give a count, everywhere we turned there were several hundred such-and-such high school band, or middle-school-graduation-celebration...they all had t-shirts identifying their groups. They were mostly very well behaved, but made for some incredibly long lines -- like Splash Mountain on the Thursday after Memorial Day had 120 minute stand by at 1:00 in the afternoon.

15. snowwhitenyc

snowwhitenyc Mouseketeer

Before!! We went this year from May 19-26 -- the Tuesday before Memorial Day to the Tuesday after. Crowds were fine up until (and including) Memorial Day...but that Tuesday after was a horror. Wait time for Splash Mountain was 2 hours, BTMR was 60+ minutes, POTC was 40 minutes (and we hadn't waited more than 5 minutes for Pirates the whole trip).

The timing actually worked out well for us...we were so sad to leave, but then after spending a few hours at the MK on that last day and realizing what we'd be up against, we were happy to head home and start planning the next trip :)