Credit Card vs Debt Card question

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by NASCARVW, Feb 28, 2013.

1. NASCARVW

NASCARVW Earning My Ears

I have been Credit Card free for the past 6 years, and am wondering if I can use my have my DEBT card on file for all charges, or if I need a Credit Card to put on file. I guess it's not a big deal, as my FIRST ever cruise is not until Sept. 15.
    If I need to, I guess I will get a credit card, but like I said, just hoping to use my bank debt card instead.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. tweis

tweis DIS Veteran

You certainly can use your debit card. :goodvibes

4. Kristen K

Kristen K Earning My Ears

I had no problem with my debit card.

5. lanejudy

lanejudy Moderator Moderator

You may use a debit card or cash or Disney gift cards for you onboard account. Credit card is not required.

Enjoy your cruise!

6. peachygreen

peachygreen DIS Veteran

One thing to note on your debit card is that sometimes they have a daily limit on them. You might want to check into that to make sure that the debit card daily limit and the cruise limit before they charge line up.

I don't like to give my debit card to the cruise for my on board charges so I pay in cash or use disney gift cards (or prepay part of my on board account). I actually do the same to pay off my balance of the cruise as I couldn't pay the whole balance most of the time with the limit.

I do have a credit card that I use strictly for hotels or rental cars though. I hate the hold they put on your account for both.

7. NASCARVW

NASCARVW Earning My Ears

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! Everybody has answered all of my questions!
    Can you tell I'm a NEWBIE??:confused3

8. CatDenver

CatDenver Mouseketeer

My bank's debit card daily limit is $9000. I'm guessing you'll be fine.

9. neg58

neg58 DIS Veteran

One thing you have to be very careful of with debit cards is that mistakes can be made and until they are fixed you are out the money.

Say you are vacationing and DLC charges what you owe on your debit card, and instead of charging you $600 they charge you $6000. Now there is no money in your account. What if you don't notice it until you go to check in at a hotel or rent a car?

You are just much better off using a credit card. You have more rights when disputing charges, and you aren't out the money while the dispute is happening.

Nancy

10. disneyfan888

disneyfan888 DIS Veteran

You can certainly use your debit card :thumbsup2

11. SG101

SG101 Mouseketeer

I always use a credit card because you can always dispute a charge. It's much harder to dispute charges with the banks because once the funds have left they almost don't care how long it takes to rectify the matter.