Creative ideas to build 1st trip excitement for kids

KozFam

Earning My Ears
We're getting closer to our first family Disney trip. Kids are 7 and 3. Once we get even closer (maybe 2-4 weeks from going), I'd like to start helping to build the excitement for them. What are some creative ideas you all have done before? For example, I read somewhere online of a Mom giving her child a pin (for pin trading, to put on her lanyard) each night under the child's pillow for the 10 days leading up to the trip. I'm looking for inexpensive, creative ideas. Thanks!

I read about a family doing some themed nights. Pick a Disney movie to watch, theme your dinner accordingly. Maybe do a craft that goes along with it.

A calendar they can cross off the days leading up to the trip?

A lot of disney pays tribute to walt and the older live action movies he made. If you think they will sit through it, swiss family robinson, huck fin and movies that walt made and parts of the parks are designed after might offer them a better sense of why there is a tree house to talk up, etc. I'm not sure how much pre-excitement but it will definately help understand the parts of the parks that has nothing to do with the animations they know by heart.

paper links they can tear off each day and see the chain getting shorter...have them start packing their own bag...have them make a list of what they want to do and see...

I posted this on another entry, but I created a "royal decree" for my DD to meet Anna & Elsa. Our FP+ reservations come up 4 days before her 2nd birthday. So at her birthday party a "special delivery" will arrive for her statig this:

Fairest Princess J,
Our sincerest apologies as we were unable to attend your birthday party. A royal emergency came up with Christoff and Sven that was unavoidable. That sneaky Prince Hans doesn’t know when to “let it go”. Just a little joke! No matter what, I know your birthday will be magical!
However, we have heard about your bubbly personality and kind manners. We also understand that you are incredibly smart and beautiful. So, with this royal decree, we request your presence for a face-to-face meeting. The time shall be at _______ on the 15th day of September. The location shall be Princess Fairytale Hall found in Walt Disney World!
Here are your instructions:
1) Once departing the magical bus from your resort, come through the gates to Main Street USA.
2) Once you spot Cinderella’s castle, head straight past this location to Fantasyland.
3) Look for the signs to Princess Fairytale Hall and enter the line.
We are looking forward to meeting you and cannot wait to see you “for the first time in forever”!
With much love,
Queen Elsa of Arendale
Princess Anna of Arendale

We are also showing the WDW planning DVD and saying, "Do you want to go there and meet Mckey?"

paper links they can tear off each day and see the chain getting shorter...have them start packing their own bag...have them make a list of what they want to do and see...

I'm going to do this! We home school, so there will be lots of counting down and planning and drawing involved in our kindergartener's day. It's pretty easy at this point to make the month before our trip all about Disney. :)

I posted this on another entry, but I created a "royal decree" for my DD to meet Anna & Elsa. Our FP+ reservations come up 4 days before her 2nd birthday. So at her birthday party a "special delivery" will arrive for her statig this:

This is so cute! I love it. :)

Have you looked on Pinterest at the Disney countdown ideas? There are some really great ones on there I plan to use next time. We love looking at the Disney Parks channel on YouTube. It has a lot of fun stuff to get in the mood! Also make sure to order your customized maps and Disney Side sticker too!

We did a 20-week (Eek! I know) movie countdown for my kids' first trip. It was 1 movie a week with a themed activity, snack, or meal to go along with it. I planned it out so that on busy weeks, it was simple stuff, and on less busy times, we could do more. Alice in Wonderland = our own tea party. But Brave was a busy week, so we just had gummy bears and popcorn while we watched. Swiss Family Robinson = "Coconut bomb" (water balloon) fight. The kids thought it was awesome.

We also did a countdown calendar for the last week. I didn't think I could keep up with it any longer than that.

I also had my son watch ride videos. He'd never been on big rides before, and he's my cautious kid. I knew that if he knew what to expect, he would be fine. So we watched the videos and talked about how it's pretend and even if it's dark, it's ok, etc. And he LOVED them - even rode Space, Dinosaur, and EE. He's looking forward to them all again next trip.

This trip, we're doing the movie countdown again - at their request. I'm also allowing them (they're almost 8 and 4) to earn extra "Disney Dollars" to spend at the parks since they have to spend their own $ on the stuff they want. And we'll be watching ride videos with the 4 year-old since she was too short to ride last time. At the rate she's growing, she may be tall enough to ride Space. Ha!

Order at:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/229175675/disney-countdown-frame?
il_570xN.794651191_kv95.jpg

Our first trip to the parks was in January. That year for Christmas my girls were given a scavenger hunt reveal, it was amazing! Also, we did a 30- day countdown, movie theme nights and watched ride videos to get them excited (it also gave us an idea of what they could and could not handle). Have fun!

Maybe a homemade calendar that is like an advent calendar with something for them every day? Disney pins, candy, Disney inspired jewelry (if girl/girls). There is a shop on Etsy JBGLITZ that creates adorable wooden bead bracelets that run around $14-18/each. She does some really cute Disney inspired designs.

I printed out a basic calendar from Microsoft Word---threw in a few character clip arts on it and hung it up in the kitchen. I wasn't sure if my 2.5 year old would really get it---but it is the highlight of his day every night when he gets to cross off a day on the calendar. He is so excited and points out when he will take an airplane to go to Mickey's house to see the castle.

My DS is really too young at 22 months to grasp this whole concept, but I'm doing somethings to familiarize him with the idea of parks, rides and characters. A few people whose kids are the same age as mine have posted links to the trip videos they put on youtube. A few times a week I'll play them for DS. It's one of the few times he'll sit still! He loves them.

I also made a countdown board just using a chalkboard/corkboard from the Target Dollar Spot, ribbon and stickers. If he were older, I'd do the number of days. But instead I'll be pinning onto it a tear off countdown chain. Though not until we get closer to our trip. At his age I'll have to hang the chain out of reach except for "tear off" time or he'll probably go to town by day 2 ;)

I am also showing him some Disney movies in short spurts. I'd love to do the themed dinners, but I'm pretty sure they'd be lost on him.

Finally, on another thread a poster recommended a picture story technique for helping my speech delayed son. I just made him a personalized, laminated book to prepare him for going to mother's day out. And it's been a hit. So I think I will make him a similar picture book that has him as the main character and talks about him going on an airplane, meeting characters, rides, etc.

Following this thread. My kids are the same ages and the trip will be a surprise. I'm going to tell them about a month before. I want to do a countdown chain, re watch several movies, and have watch videos of some if the attractions on YouTube.

I agree with the movie nights and countdown calendar. Your kids are probably too little but we've done trivia games that I made up that I tried to balance out to play to each kid's strengths. They could win Disney and Lego gift cards they could use for souvenirs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter