Craziness at DCL Today!

One last thing that I was wondering about this morning. The wait staff was really pushing for us to have disembarkation breakfast in the dining room. We of course went to Cabanas like we always do. I realized that after 9 DCL cruises, we've never eaten breakfast in the dining room on disembarkation morning.

Our first cruise was on the Dream. The waitstaff really pushed the disembarkation breakfast in the dining room, also. Not knowing any better, we did it. :crazy2: Never again. We've had them mention it since, but I firmly let them know that we will be going to Cabanas that last morning.

ummmmm, "a giant mouse"? That would make me jump ship. Please, no meeces in the guest quarters.

Last edited:
Our first cruise was on the Dream. The waitstaff really pushed the disembarkation breakfast in the dining room, also. Not knowing any better, we did it. :crazy2: Never again. We've had them mention it since, but I firmly let them know that we will be going to Cabanas that last morning.
why is that? is the breakfast in the restaurants not as good as at Cabanas?

We just got off the same cruise and I would concur. We had 2 major issues. First, my wife's luggage was completely soaked through when it got to our stateroom, as in we were wringing water out of the clothes. Needless to say, we had to cancel Palo Friday night since she didn't have anything to wear. Second, (and this was first for us after 9 cruises with DCL) we had ants in our room.

There is something about the Dream that just doesn't click and I'm not sure what it is. We loved the Fantasy, but we didn't feel the extra passengers on that ship like we did on the Deeam. We also much prefer the Magic over the Dream as well.

On a good note, the food was very good on the Dream and the show (we only saw Golden Mickeys) had an excellent cast.

One last thing that I was wondering about this morning. The wait staff was really pushing for us to have disembarkation breakfast in the dining room. We of course went to Cabanas like we always do. I realized that after 9 DCL cruises, we've never eaten breakfast in the dining room on disembarkation morning.
Our most recent cruise, (Wonder), they were really pushing the MDR for breakfast too. Our 3 previous cruises, (1 Dream, 2 Fantasy), we never experienced that.

We were also told specifically to go to the MDR for breakfast on the last morning and not Cabanas. I just figured it was because our head server wanted to see us, buthe now I wonder if there's another reason. It doesn't matter anyway since we always have breakfast in the MDR on the last morning.

Btw, did you get a bag of popcorn and two rice Krispy mickey heads delivered to your stateroom with a note?

We were also told specifically to go to the MDR for breakfast on the last morning and not Cabanas. I just figured it was because our head server wanted to see us, buthe now I wonder if there's another reason. It doesn't matter anyway since we always have breakfast in the MDR on the last morning.

Btw, did you get a bag of popcorn and two rice Krispy mickey heads delivered to your stateroom with a note?
Yes, sure did...

Hmm. We never go to the MDR on the last morning. If you are on first dining, it's waaaay to early for us, and even though the 8:00 seating for second dining is better time wise, we are usually wanting to just grab a quick bite, then get off of the ship.

Last edited:
I think DCL's goal would be to have most of the guests go to their assigned breakfast time in the MDR, with only a minority hitting Cabanas. This tends to help stagger the number of people attempting to debark at the same time. It shortens the lines, in theory. When too many guests want to "grab and go," the debarkation lines can be a nightmare. Sure, those who need to leave the ship as soon as possible to catch flights and such don't really have a choice and should go for it. No argument there. But DCL's encouragement to attend your assigned breakfast is probably purely an effort at crowd control during debarkation.

Thanks for the mini report. Sounds dreadful with no on demand, and poor weather. But as you said there were still some bright spots!

I think DCL's goal would be to have most of the guests go to their assigned breakfast time in the MDR, with only a minority hitting Cabanas. This tends to help stagger the number of people attempting to debark at the same time. It shortens the lines, in theory. When too many guests want to "grab and go," the debarkation lines can be a nightmare. Sure, those who need to leave the ship as soon as possible to catch flights and such don't really have a choice and should go for it. No argument there. But DCL's encouragement to attend your assigned breakfast is probably purely an effort at crowd control during debarkation.

Sure, but if they really wanted to stagger deoartures, they could call bag tag colors like they do at other ports. That's more trouble overall, but it's an option if they really felt they needed it. In any case, I'm going to use the buffet on the last day. Always. It's a much better option for our family.

why is that? is the breakfast in the restaurants not as good as at Cabanas?

The food is fine. We just prefer to grab something and get off the ship. Actually, I prefer to eat at Cabanas each morning. In the mornings and at lunch, I don't have the patience for a sit-down meal, even at home.

The food is fine. We just prefer to grab something and get off the ship. Actually, I prefer to eat at Cabanas each morning. In the mornings and at lunch, I don't have the patience for a sit-down meal, even at home.
LOL
As for rushing off the ship, we will be taking the Disney transportation back to POR, I assume it doesn't matter when we get off. Having your own car, I would leave the ship as fast as possible myself.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter