Craziest present

rluey29 - Lot's of people are dealing with maliciousness in their stories, but yes, some can be just clueless.

In the case of my DH, I asked him about it. He said probably what happened is that when his mom was asked what gma should get for Christmas she said something inexpensive and usable, while the other kid's family told what he really wanted. His Gma just went with what the moms said instead of stopping and thinking, that yes, this would cause a problem. This is the same person who gave a 12 year old boy a big teddy bear. Some people just don't get it.

I agree it is hard to understand. I was fortunate to come from a very loving, generous family. My gma never did anything for one grandkid that she didn't do for all. So I really struggle dealing with some of the inequalities I see in DH's family. But I do know he is loved, they are just not bright people. KWIM. I've seen many scenarios that I've thought were crappy and where DH (or other members of his family) have been treated less than others, however, I also know that his family doesn't do it intentionaly. They just don't get it.
I'm proud that he can blow it off. I'm not sure I could.

Not really in the vein of weird gifts, but my DMom always wants to get just the right gifts for all of us. She is usually on a very tight budget (widow). So I either "sell" her stuff I have already bought or shop with her and find great sales.

Wouldn't you know it, these are ALWAYS the ones everybody goes crazy over!

Okay, I did think of something. Same DMom and I try to find "off-the-wall" things to open during the "Stocking Hour." These are the most fun! One year, the guys all got flart putty (huge hit)! Silly things (mugs, key chains) with all the wrong names on them, had to explain that one?!! Last year was the best! Lottery tickets that were all winners. DBrother bought lost it when he "won" $10,000. DNiece was picking our her car! We're weird but fun!

Last year my DMIL sent us (me, DH, DD5 and DD6) each a silver dollar! That's it. We didn't even tell the girls, who would have been very dissappointed to get a coin!! They don't live near us and don't see us very often, but come on!! You could at least send a book or something for the girls!!

One year, one of my students gave me an used pen he most likely found on the street as a Christmas gift. :confused3 Needless to say, I gave him a hug and thanked him for his thoughtfulness. :rotfl: :rotfl:

He also gave me my first three gray hairs.:scared1:

Two funny Xmas gifts stand out in my mind. When my brother was 10 (he is now 34), he wanted a remote control car. My grandmother made a huge deal to my parents that she got him the greatest remote control car, couldn't wait for him to open it, etc. Well, Christmas morning, he opened up a..............PINK BARBIE CAR!! It wasn't even real remote control....it had a cord attatched!!!:lmao: My brother looked at it and said to me (15 years old at the time) "this must be yours", then ran out of the room crying. My grandmother was shocked...she just didn't get it! :confused3

Every year my DH's family has a Grab Bag gift exchange on Xmas. The gifts are usually pretty decent, not expensive, but usually one or two duds or gags in the mix. Well, it was quite interesting when 92 year old Gram opened up a box that had edible underwear in it!!!!:rotfl2: Thank God she couldn't really see, and we just discreetly switched it with something else!!

On our first Christmas as a married couple, my new MIL bought me a scale and a pair of XXL pajamas. (I wear a 8-10):lmao:

MIL wins the prize for the worst gifts:
  • Control top pantyhose (she belongs to pantyhose of the month club and had a few hundred extra pair, so she gve me and SIL each a couple).
  • a knit doll that covers the extra role of toilet paper in the bathroom
  • light blue towels (for my peach-colored bathroom) that had already been washed so we couldn't return them. We actually got these for several years. Must have been a really good sale.
  • A tupperware mixing bowl that had to be 30 years old and smelled like their basement no matter how many times I washed it.

For my 22nd birthday (almost 10 years ago now), I got very excited because I unwrapped a Riedel wine glass box from my stepmother and dad. Even at 22, I knew Riedel wine glasses were NICE. So, my Stepmom says, "These are for your fine china collection." However, my excitement turned to horror when I opened the box to discover four cheap pink and clear bubble glass wineglasses that I know my aunt and uncle had given her about two years before. I think I even drank out of them at one point! (My stepmom and dad kept the real Riedel glasses for themselves.) Well, I was living in their basement at the time so into the closet they went. When I moved out, guess what....I took EVERYTHING out of the closet except the box of glasses. She never mentioned it to me. My gifts from then on have been much better. ;)

What goes around comes around...about three years ago she mentioned that some friends of theirs gave them some candlesticks that my stepmom and dad had given the friends!!! HA! HA!

A friend of mine got married a few weeks ago. She got two weird gifts: a weird beaded thing that was stuffed in a card and a package of baby wipes and diapers. At first we thought is was a friend making a joke but it was a family memeber that they did not know very well that gave it to them :confused:

not a bad gift, just a bad attitude...

Last year before Xmas the out-lasw were visiting. MIL and I went shopping together to pick up a few last-minute things. She got DH and me a gift card for Home Depot. We needed it, so no problem there, until we got back to my house... We got home and she says to me: 'Do you want me to take this home and mail it to you so you don't lose it?'
She has said some pretty insulting things to me in the past, but this was probably the worst. It doesn't read as aweful as it sounded. Try reading it with an air of self-righteousness and disdain.

I am soo sad these are over! I have enjoyed them all. OK, here's mine:

When my little sister was about 9, my sister-in-law got us all pretty decent presents. Well, then my little sister got hers......it was a white ceramic hand I like from the wrist up with thumb and fingers sticking up. Apparently it was a ring/braclet holder (?). Well, it looked like something from a cadaver! My little sister looked at it and looked at ours and just started sobbing. I think she even asked her, "why don't you like me?" We have no idea why the "baby" of the family got a gift like that?? Afterwards we joked about it and she actually kept it on a shelf above her bed for quite a while. BTW, 28 years later, and they are still NOT close!!!

Every Christmas, when we are discussing gift items, the "hand" comes up!:thumbsup2

I am the little sister she is talking about and it was a wrist with a fist and an empty hole in the center of it. Apparently the fake flowers that were supposed to be in it had fallen in the driveway on the way up to our house. I never found the fake flowers! I really think she didn't like me!

I am the little sister she is talking about and it was a wrist with a fist and an empty hole in the center of it. Apparently the fake flowers that were supposed to be in it had fallen in the driveway on the way up to our house. I never found the fake flowers! I really think she didn't like me!

I must have seen the hand thing elsewhere and got confused but I am laughing AGAIN thinking about the empty fist!! :rotfl2:

BTW, she doesn't like her!!!

We have a dear, dear family friend who will be 101 in October (and she's a firecracker!) Ever since I've known her, she's taken things around her house and wrapped them up. You never know what you are going to get from her- it's often times hillarious.

My favorite was one my SIL got from her- first Christmas in the family (I don't think they were even married yet.) It was a small box of Whitman's samplers. Some of the chocolates were gone. The papers were alls till there- she'd filled them with mini SNickers still in the wrappers and walnuts. SIL didn't even know what to say, it was just too funny!

We also threw her a surprise party when she was 90. She thought the party was for a neighbor's Sweet Sixteen. I picked her up to bring her to the hall and she confided to me she'd had no idea what to get a 16 year old girl. So she wrapped up a black plastic comb (the kind they give you at school pictures) in a piece of notebook paper for her. I was happy the party was really not for that girl to have her get that as a gift! :)

On the flip side, she once gave me an awesome 50's era ceramic mixing bowl. I LOVED that bowl! I broke it a year ago and felt horrible!

Thats the funniest story I've heard in a while!! :rotfl: God bless her!

I once got a CAN of black olives for Christmas.....nuff said.

My dear grandmother (90yo) has forever given us money in a card with the inscription (and I kid you not) "go blow yourself". This means we are supposed to spend the money, not save it. Its always fun when a sibling marries and a new family members gets their first card! :rotfl:

I once got a CAN of black olives for Christmas.....nuff said.

We must have the same grandparents, I got black olives once too! :rotfl2:

Did you put them on your fingertips and then eat them off one at a time? :laughing:

My dear grandmother (90yo) has forever given us money in a card with the inscription (and I kid you not) "go blow yourself". This means we are supposed to spend the money, not save it. Its always fun when a sibling marries and a new family members gets their first card! :rotfl:

That is hilarious!!!! :lmao: :rotfl: :laughing: :rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter