CR or AKL or WL?

DG-12

Mouseketeer
I am making myself crazy. Every trip we have been on we have stayed at POR or POFQ. Now, this trip we can stay in a woods view room at WL or Garden wing room at CR or a water view at AKL... Trying to keep within my budget- but all are about the same price. Where do you think a couple (and one of them doesn't want to be at WDW) should stay?
Dana

Hi,

We stayed at AKL last August with savannah view and we stayed 3 weeks ago at CR with MK view. Have never been to WL. But if someone really doesn't want to feel they're at WDW, then I would recommend AKL. The CR was nice because we could see the fireworks at night from our room and being on the monorail was convenient since we have a 2 year old. The decor does not appeal to me though, and I don't think we'll stay there again.

AKL on the other hand is remote and you don't even feel like you're in Florida, much less WDW. The bus service is great because you don't share service with other resorts and it's very relaxing. If you don't have savannah view, there are plenty of places where you can sit and watch the animals. Boma is wonderful and I haven't eaten at Jiko, but I've only heard rave reviews of it.

We have two teenagers and a 2 year old and the CR was nice because the room was large and the bathroom was better. When we stayed at AKL we got adjoining rooms which worked out very well. If you are only a couple, though, the size of the AKl rooms would be sufficient.

I would book AKL again in a minute, but I would probably book the Polyl if I wanted to be on the monorail again.

Good luck, you'll enjoy it whatever you decide.

Lynn

Well, who's going on your trip and what do you like to do?

I've stayed at both CR and WL. They are wonderful resorts. We like the MK area because we have a small child.

After the convience of the MK resorts, we are very leary about staying at AKL because it is so remote. We are toying with adding a few days on our Sept trip and staying at AKL for 2-3 nights just to try it.

I would definitely take CR off your list. I LOVE WL and AKL but if you are going to take time off from the parks I personally would go with AKL. It is beautiful, more luxurious than WL and has a bigger pool with animal-viewing from part of the pool area:sunny:
You cannot go wrong with WL, however and it has more recreation options like boats and bikes:earsgirl:
Good luck!

I would choose AKL. It is a beautiful resort. We were not impressed with the rooms at WL, we were supposed to have split our stay last year between AKL and WL. We went to see a WL room and were not impressed and continued our stay at AKL instead. :)

If one of you doesn't want to be at WDW I would take CR off of the list. It has the feel of being in the middle of everything. We stayed at WL on our last trip. We really enjoyed it. Definitely has a more relaxed and secluded feel to it. I have never been to AKL but I think it would also have a quiet feel. I would ask the other person which he would like AK or WL. Is he into animals and African theme? I think both of these resorts would be great for a couple. Have fun choosing.::MickeyMo ::MinnieMo

......how are the rooms different at AKL and WL. The fact sheet I read said they were both 340 sq. ft. I haven't been to either so I don't know. Just wondering what the difference in the roooms at each of those two resorts were?

Stayed at WL 3xs, AKL 2xs. The rooms are similar in layout and size. I like the decor of AKL better. I also think the rooms at WL are showing their "age". The rooms at AKL seemed newer, cleaner to me. I much prefer AKL over WL. I really didn't care for either resturant at WL... and I think the boat to MK is very overrated. My vote is for AKL...and I have a little one and she prefers AKL.

Sorry, I can't agree with taking CR off the list. I love the CR. Have only eaten at WL, and haven't been to AKL, but when I look at pictures of those resorts, I don't care for the decor. My opinion, of course. But I don't like the "lodge" look - I don't like dark rooms. I like more bright, airy, open hotels.

THe CR is in a great location. A quick monorail ride and you can be at the Poly or GF to eat. The rooms are large and spacious. The restaurants at the CR are excellent too.

Take a look at pictures and details of the resorts on www.allearsnet.com. Maybe that will help you decide on the decor you want.

It's hard to make decisions based on opinions of total strangers!! Good Luck.

Cutekatcar

We stayed at AKL in September and it tops as our favorite! The theming is amazing. It is a beautiful resort. You cannot go wrong there. Good luck!

DH and I were at AKL in late March and loved it! I think it's perfect for a couple. It feels secluded and exotic. We had a great time relaxing by the pool (drinks at the pool bar are wonderful!) and the dining was amazing! Jiko is the one of the most romantic restaurants I've ever been to. I thought the room decor was beautiful and we thought the room size was okay - plenty of room but didn't really feel spacious.

I wouldn't take CR off the list either! I have stayed at all 3 and just find AKL and WL lacking in comparison to the other deluxes. While they are all very nice and beautiful, I find that when you go to Florida, we don't like to feel like we are in a cold climate of the NW. We also found the AKL a little remote. I can't put it into words, but I feel the AKL and WL are a few notches below luxury than the other deluxes, including the CR. At the CR, I can't help but think a little Disney magic will rub off on them...good luck with your choice!

I agree with the poster who said its hard to decide based on other peoples opinions because everyone is talking about decor and room sizes, etc. and nobody is right or wrong, its just their opinion based on their own particular likes or dislikes. You really need to find as many pics as you can for each resort and do a lot of research and then apply your own likes and dislikes to it.
I love WL big time and have zero desire to stay at CR based only on the convenience of the monorail, but for everyone like me, theres one who thinks otherwise. Its all up to you!

I wouldn't take the Contemporary off the list either! I was in the same boat you are before my first trip with my husband last September -- he had absolutely *NO* interest in going to WDW. In fact, when he proposed to me many years ago, before I answered him, I said, you know I'm going to drag your *ss to Disney World at some point, right? Well, it took almost 10 years, but one day last January I woke up and thought -- life is short, it's time to go to Disney World, regardless of whether we can afford it or not! Eight short months later, we were there. Hubby was not at all enthusiastic, but by the end of the 2nd day, he was saying, let's make sure we do that again next time we come here. He's a science fiction and fantasy fan, so he *LOVED* the Contemporary's sleek, 50's modern details -- especially the UFO-shaped silver lamp in our room. The monorail is just so cool -- it wins just about everyone over. The convenience of transportation to Magic Kingdom (where we spent a lot of time in Tomorrowland -- Astro Orbiter is one of our favorites!) and Epcot (Morocco rocks!) was perfect -- we spent 4 of our 6 days at those parks, with one day each at AK and MGM. I see you're considering a wing room -- that's where we stayed, and it was very quiet. We had a ground floor room in the North Wing on the end near the Food & Fun Center, the bus stop, and the walkway to the Magic Kingdom. We only did the pool at night, and it was very close, too. We're renting points in January 2005 at Villas at Wilderness Lodge to see if we want to buy into DVC there. If we don't care for the Villas there, we'll *definitely* be returning to the Contemporary!

Jay-Jay

Love, love, love the Contemporary! My 6yr old DD and I felt like we were right in the middle of the magic with the monorail running through the Concourse and Chef Mickey's celebrating every night! My daughter was happy just sitting with me in the lounge watching all of the action (and the other kids). She loved the pool and slide, and often we would just hop on the monorail to ride because it was so convenient. The big rooms and bathrooms were wonderful, and the beds were very comfortable.
I'm saving for my next stay there!

CR is always busy and you never seem to "leave the magic" but you never get away from it either. WL is kind of like escaping each time you go back to your room. CT transportaion is awsome but WL is not bad either. Theming could not be more differnt either. Ulta moderen VS Cabin feel. It a very personal choice. For a non WDW fan, I would choosw WL. It is our favorite too. Don;t really know anything about AK, never been there.

Jordans' mom

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter