Court ruling on airline seats

Just flew with Westjet..had an aisle on the Emergency exit and the fellow beside me took all of his seat and a third of mine. When we landed (Las Vegas) my leg was soaked in sweat. Mine and I am sure his! Blech. Same thing happened to me on Jet Blue to San Juan a year back..If you are that fat, buy another seat! For your own comfort as well! I paid for ALL of mine!:rolleyes1

>>> both put their legs
>>> a third of mine

You should have complained before takeoff. Then the airline would have to reseat you (or the person next to you) or face yet another lawsuit or even a charge of being an accessory to assault.

The subject of whether a larger person should pay for two seats is irrelevant (off topic) here because in your complaint quietly to the flight attendant you should not talk about what the other person should or should have done.

>>> 225lbs ... A and C

You should have put hubby in B.

>>> both put their legs
>>> a third of mine

You should have complained before takeoff. Then the airline would have to reseat you (or the person next to you) or face yet another lawsuit or even a charge of being an accessory to assault.

The subject of whether a larger person should pay for two seats is irrelevant here because in your complaint quietly to the flight attendant you should not talk about what the other person should or should have done.

>>> 225lbs ... A and C

You should have put hubby in B.

I think it's not just the seating arrangements that are uncomfortable but bringing it to the attention of the flight attendant is also uncomfortable. I know that I would probably stew in my frustration rather than get the flight attendant to acknowledge that I was being squished. Although, who knows, it would depend on my mood up until the squishing. LOL

I experienced this on a shuttle bus to the airport once. They sold just enough tickets to seats on the bus. I got on last and there was only one seat left...or should I say, 1/3 of a seat left. I literally had to squeeze myself into this partial seat because the woman in the next seat over was enormous. The arm rest on the aisle wouldn't go up either so I sat there, breathing with difficulty, squashed onto the armrest. When I got up, the impression of the arm rest was on my body for a good long period afterwards.

Now, imagine THAT on a 5 hour trip on a airplane. :headache:

I disagree.

I think airlines have to make reasonable accommodations for disabilities just like any other business serving the public. If a person literally cannot fit into the narrow wedge of space the airlines have decided is what the average person needs, then the airlines have to accommodate that person.

The airlines don't charge passengers by the inch or by the pound for transportation. They charge per person, for transport from point A to point B.

While I agree that many of us would like an extra seat for free, and it seems unfair that very large people get 2 for the price of 1, I wouldn't trade my life for theirs just to get hold of an extra seat on a flight!

But this isn't the case at all. They have always charged per seat. If someone needs extra room because they are in a stretcher, or because their service dog needs additional space they pay for the seat, they also pay for the seat of their companion. This is the same as Cineplex Odeon, they used to offer a free companion ticket as a courtesy, but they weren't obligated to do so, and they stopped offering it more than a year ago.

bringing it to the attention of the flight attendant is also uncomfortable.
We need to start a fad. Since you didn't, that lengthens the time others will suffer.

No I didn't say hubby should stay in B for the whole flight. Just long enough to get those in A and C to retreat to their proper positions and then you switch back.

... the bus. I got on last and there was only one seat left...or should I say, 1/3 of a seat left. I literally had to squeeze myself into this partial seat .:
At least on a bus you could stand up and stretch.

*Except on the Magical Express bus. If they "deplane" you for standing up on your scheduled ride back to the airport, ME still owes you prompt transportation, a complimentary taxi ride if need be. The latter is called the APL procedure.

Once I was at a party and the host called me out for doing something I do at home all the time, sit on the arm rest of a (his) sofa.

Probably someone who can claim to justify a handicap parking pass or a motorized scooter when all they need is a good walk from a regular spot . Flame me all you want, I could justify a pass for bad knee's and back but choose to not do it for people who really need it. I'm getting larger with age but it's my own inactivitity and laziness doing that not some other excuse.

I have been saying that for years... I don't think because you are over weight you should be allowed a handicap parking pass. What you need is a pass to the gym. I may get burned as well but I have 2 family members that would be classed as handicap a sister with down syndrome and a father with a missing limb but we were always taught that those spots for parking are for those that need it more. I don't think my father was reffering to those that are obese, but to the elderly and those in wheel chairs etc. Just my thoughts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter