Country Suites Calypso Cay Reviews?

kimkarli

DIS Veteran
Trying to find a nice, good priced, off-site hotel for after cruise. We want to hit WDW and Universal for Harry Potter. I found this one with a great pool, mini-golf, etc.. but very mixed reviews.
Anyone have any personal experience at Country Inn & Suites Maingate Calypso Cay?

Thank you!!!

The resort is quite nice, good pools, playground, stayed in the Calypso Cay suites, but am considering the Country inn if I can find a decent price. Very good location.

We stayed there, but it was 6 years ago. It was clean, and the pool area was nice. We had a 1 bedroom suite. It was so long ago things could have changed. We never went back because we started staying in condos or townhouses in windsor hills.

I don't know how much things have changed, but we stayed there twice. First time it was nice, but the next year we stayed was not nice. We rented the two bedroom lockoff unit. There was a huge roach in the lockoff unit one night in the livingroom and then another night the girls saw a few scuttling around in the bathroom. Needless to say, everything went back into zipped luggage for the rest of the trip.
Another night while down at the pool area some of the local residents snuck into the pool area and started causing trouble with resort guests. Security had to come to remove them, and then after they were removed, the ones security did not realize were with the other set of trouble makers, started giving me the nasty looks. Security had to get them out, too.
It seemed to me this was a common occurrance.
Oh, and I forgot to mention the police helicopters that were circling the resort for about ten minutes with their lights shining down on us in the pool area.
I am not kidding.
The area surrounding Calypso Cay seemed nice when you drove through, but I learned afterwards there is a lot of crime occurring over there.

When I vacation, I don't want to have to worry about crime. I would never again stay in Calypso Cay.

Thank you guys very much for the info!!!
If anyone has any suggestions, I am open to them.
Here is what we are looking for:
Kid friendly
pool
hottub
breakfast
good location
good price

Aren't we all??pirate:

Kimkarli - We stayed at the resort 2 years ago, it was our 4th stay. Last year we stayed at the hotel Royal Plaza, but midded Calypso Cay. We are booked into the Country Inn there in March for 2 nights, but are going to extend it by another 2 nights. Never had any problems of the security type.

Stayed there one night about 4 years ago, it was very nice and would stay again.

That is good news, since the kids are already going crazy over the water slides and putt-putt!

We own a timeshare at Calypso Cay since it was built, 8 years ago. It was nice when opened, but has gone seriously downhill!! We don't even stay there anymore. We had bug infestations, roaches and ants. We also had the locals using the pool. They were so brazen that they went out the gates to meet their child on the school bus and then walked back to enjoy the pool with their kids.

Maybe the Country Inn and Suites is different. I've never stayed there.

Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter