Couch to 5K. Just starting, anyone like to join me?

snowangel72

Mouseketeer
I am doing the Neon Vibe colour run in August so I need to start a C25K program. Anyone one to do it with me? :beach:

I've been working on counc to 5K since early April. It has taken me longer to get past each week. I've never been a runner.....hardest thing for me. I'm finally up to the end of week 5. My pace is slow but today I was able to run for 8 minutes straight. Might not seem like a big deal but it is for me.
The nice thing about the app is you do take it slow and progress slow. Less likely to get injured.

I'm about to get started on this. I used to be able to walk everywhere, sometimes up to 10 miles a day, then I realized that was over 10 years ago. I'm 41 and about 70 lbs overweight, and I so need to get back to where I was.

Take it slow. Maybe just start walking before you do the program until you can do 30 minutes walking. You don't want any injuries!! I just signed up for my firs 5K in 22 years. I'm on week 7 but it really has taken me more like 10-11 weeks to get there.

I'm on week 4 of c25k. I'm training to do the Star Wars 10k in January. I used to run about 4 years ago, but I did a stupid trail 5k and injured my shins. The real bummer is that I had signed up for the Princess Half Marathon and was just in too much pain to do it. I'm finally able to run without pain so I am really excited. My dream is to do the Princess half marathon in 2016. I want that tiara medal, darn it!

Right now i'm signed up for the Star Wars 10k, then I'm planning to sign up for the Tinkerbell Half in August.

Im on week 2. I feel like I need to do week one again because I dont feel like I mastered it. Im struggling to run for 90 seconds.

*sigh* Right now my plan was to do a local 5K in December, but now that I know runDisney Legacy is considered having done one particular run since the beginning, I am sorely tempted to sign up for the Star Wars Half Marathon. *sigh* I really can't justify the expense in going to DL next January just for one race and a shot at Legacy when a) it's a big jump going from 5K to Half Marathon, and b)I really can't afford to go, as I'm taking the family to WDW in August, and that's our big trip for 2 years. Aiming for going Coast to Coast in Jan 16.

Couch-to-5K graduate here. Stick with it, everyone!! You can do it! :)

Suggestion for all of you (and some of you probably already have done this) - make sure you go to a running store to get fitted for a pair of running shoes. It will help so much!

I've been working on counc to 5K since early April. It has taken me longer to get past each week. I've never been a runner.....hardest thing for me. I'm finally up to the end of week 5. My pace is slow but today I was able to run for 8 minutes straight. Might not seem like a big deal but it is for me.
The nice thing about the app is you do take it slow and progress slow. Less likely to get injured.
That is awesome. Congratulations!! :yay:
Take it slow. Maybe just start walking before you do the program until you can do 30 minutes walking. You don't want any injuries!! I just signed up for my firs 5K in 22 years. I'm on week 7 but it really has taken me more like 10-11 weeks to get there.
::yes::
Im on week 2. I feel like I need to do week one again because I dont feel like I mastered it. Im struggling to run for 90 seconds.
I think a lot of people repeat weeks when they don't feel ready to move on to the next one...I know I did! :)
*sigh* Right now my plan was to do a local 5K in December, but now that I know runDisney Legacy is considered having done one particular run since the beginning, I am sorely tempted to sign up for the Star Wars Half Marathon. *sigh* I really can't justify the expense in going to DL next January just for one race and a shot at Legacy when a) it's a big jump going from 5K to Half Marathon, and b)I really can't afford to go, as I'm taking the family to WDW in August, and that's our big trip for 2 years. Aiming for going Coast to Coast in Jan 16.
I'm sorry, but the Star Wars Half Marathon has sold out for 2015, so you won't have a chance to be legacy for that one. :(

You're right that 5K to half marathon is a big jump, but it would be a great goal for you in 2016! And just an FYI on Coast-to-Coast...your races have to be in the same calendar year to count. :goodvibes

I want to build up to it but afraid at 320 lbs I'd get injured so will start with a walk/speed walk. I'm trying to increase my fitness for a trek up to Mount Rushmore in August. In Oct may do a color run type run with my daughter but it would be more walking than anything I'm sure. She wants to do track and field but the club is almost done with this year so we will save for next years annual dues for her.

I'll be starting but will probably be more walking/speed walking than walk/running combo. :) ;)

I did my own version of couch to 5K but wasn't concentrated on a certain mile mark but just a walk/jog program. It was a good 15+ years ago. I worked up to running 10 minutes straight once but never recorded and don't recall my mileage for that run. :( I did good though and only issue I had was shin splints. I was also 100 lbs or so less than I am now.

Don't hesitate to repeat as needed!

I want to build up to it but afraid at 320 lbs I'd get injured so will start with a walk/speed walk. I'm trying to increase my fitness for a trek up to Mount Rushmore in August. In Oct may do a color run type run with my daughter but it would be more walking than anything I'm sure. She wants to do track and field but the club is almost done with this year so we will save for next years annual dues for her. I'll be starting but will probably be more walking/speed walking than walk/running combo. :) ;) I did my own version of couch to 5K but wasn't concentrated on a certain mile mark but just a walk/jog program. It was a good 15+ years ago. I worked up to running 10 minutes straight once but never recorded and don't recall my mileage for that run. :( I did good though and only issue I had was shin splints. I was also 100 lbs or so less than I am now.

Do what you need to do to keep yourself in injured. DH has more weight than you, got self-competitive while doing the program, and hurt his Achilles. Went to a doctor who turned out to have a hard time with people of size, got lousy service and advice, and still hurts over a year later. Even if you got a good doctor, you don't want to need that doctor. :). So keep yourself safe!

I'm sorry, but the Star Wars Half Marathon has sold out for 2015, so you won't have a chance to be legacy for that one. :(

You're right that 5K to half marathon is a big jump, but it would be a great goal for you in 2016! And just an FYI on Coast-to-Coast...your races have to be in the same calendar year to count. :goodvibes

Did some looking around, and yes, while individual registrations are sold out, you can still get in thru charity organizations. I might go thru Alex's Lemonade Stand's Team Lemon for the Rebel Challenge. I'll need to fundraise $1800 for the charity, but I need to get more info first (i.e., when do they need the money by, how much up front, etc). Plus I'd need to arrange funds for me getting out there to begin with :moped:

I'm just start this program as well. My ultimate goal is get healthy and to run the Princess 5k & 10 in 2016.

I'm just start this program as well. My ultimate goal is get healthy and to run the Princess 5k & 10 in 2016.

We share similar goals! I'm aiming to complete in the Princess 5k and Half-Marathon in 2016/17 if I can. I'm still comparing the Nike Run + app to the Couch to 5k app. I'm not sure which one I prefer yet!

Anyone have a good C25K schedule? I have committed to a 5k in June, but am NOT a runner... currently using the elliptical to get my cardio in shape, because the treadmill is too hard on my knees and feet right now. NOT a fan of intervals. Tried that before, and did not have enough recovery time after the running portion. :P

Every once in a while the guilt to run starts up and I try it out a couple of days a week, but I can't stick with it. I picked up an app of Couch to 5K for my phone, but I find myself exhausted and unable to run after 15 minutes (but by that time, I have already ran over a mile). Yes, I am terribly inactive. Anyone have tips?

Anyone have a good C25K schedule? I have committed to a 5k in June, but am NOT a runner... currently using the elliptical to get my cardio in shape, because the treadmill is too hard on my knees and feet right now. NOT a fan of intervals. Tried that before, and did not have enough recovery time after the running portion. :P

Have you tried extending the walking portion of the interval - say 30 seconds harder intensity, then 2 min lower intensity?

Every once in a while the guilt to run starts up and I try it out a couple of days a week, but I can't stick with it. I picked up an app of Couch to 5K for my phone, but I find myself exhausted and unable to run after 15 minutes (but by that time, I have already ran over a mile). Yes, I am terribly inactive. Anyone have tips?

From my (limited) experience, it sounds more like you are pushing yourself at a faster pace rather than being 'terribly inactive'. :) I find that I can run longer distances if I slow my pace down.

(I completed this Couch to 5k plan twice - once in 2010 and more recently in late 2014. Weeks 5 and 6 were my hardest challenges both times and I had to repeat them for a full month before I could run 2 miles nonstop. It's frustrating, but your hard work will pay off in the end!)

From my (limited) experience, it sounds more like you are pushing yourself at a faster pace rather than being 'terribly inactive'. :) I find that I can run longer distances if I slow my pace down.

(I completed this Couch to 5k plan twice - once in 2010 and more recently in late 2014. Weeks 5 and 6 were my hardest challenges both times and I had to repeat them for a full month before I could run 2 miles nonstop. It's frustrating, but your hard work will pay off in the end!)

Huh. I never thought that my pacing could be too fast. I'll force myself to keep it smooth and steady and see how that works. Thank you!

I have terrible health but really REALLY want to do Expedition Everest and Princess Half one day. I can barely manage to do 30mins fast walk on my treadmill (small incline) and it takes me that whole time to get a little over a mile. I'm so discouraged about my time, since I know Disney requires a 16min mile. I tried doing the walk/run thing and couldn't make it past the first interval without my vision getting blurry. : / Any tips? I'm technically healthy, although I have high blood pressure and a high resting heart rate-- like over 110bpm. It doesn't help that I have to keep switching meds for depression and anxiety. I'm slightly overweight for my size, but mostly I think it's that I get so depressed that I rarely do anything that counts as exercise.

Help?

I tried doing the walk/run thing and couldn't make it past the first interval without my vision getting blurry. : / Any tips?
How long was the running interval? You might need to start off with very short running intervals. If you are using Galloway's intervals, he has a beginner's conditioning program that is meant to very slowly build up your ability. http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/beginners/

Beyond that, if your vision is getting blurry as soon as you start running, I would consult a doctor. Your health and safety are important, and none of us are qualified to give medical advice. Be careful and exercise safely!

Running interval was 90 seconds. I see that this one is much lower, which is probably better for me. I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to exercising and I tend to take instructions pretty seriously. I really thought that not being able to do 90 seconds meant I was more or less a failure. Depression is so fun.

I think that the problem with my vision is more overexerting myself. My heart rate can spike because I'm not in condition at all. I've seen a doctor and I'm otherwise healthy, so using smaller intervals might really help. Thank you so much!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter