Cotton apparel ideas for boys?

CarrieR

DIS Veteran
I've been on a major sewing kick lately, making some skirts for my upcoming trip. My nanny kids are also going to Disney soon, and JoAnn's has the *cutest* cotton Disney prints right now that I want to do something with. Nannybaby (just shy of 2.5 at the time of the trip) is getting twirl skirts - I already finished one for her. (Her lovey is a stuffed Dumbo named "Ellie," so when I saw this Dumbo fabric she just NEEDED it, lol.)

But I am stuck on what to do for her brother, Nannykid (just turned 5 at trip time.) He is getting a sweatshirt/hoodie made out of Buzz Lightyear fleece and has asked for a Baymax one, but those are of limited use in Florida! Does anyone have any ideas of what could be done with cotton for little boys? I thought of maybe a button down shirt or cargo shorts with cotton pockets as accents but I'm not in love with either idea.

I'm going to try to upload a photo of Nannybaby's skirt (I put it on her to verify the waist was the right size and had to peel it off for nap time lol.) It turned out so cute! In the meantime, I'd love ideas of what to do for her brother :)

Very cute little skirt!!!

I wish I had some ideas for the little boy but my mind is drawing a blank currently..

Very cute skirt!

I can relate entirely. I have a 2.5 yo DD and 5 yo DS myself. It's so easy to sew cute things for my little girl, but for my boy, it is much harder. What about something that isn't technically apparel? I'm thinking about one of those drawstring backpacks. (Here's a tutorial in case you don't know what I'm talking about.) It would be very lightweight and easy for him to carry. Maybe he could keep some snacks and an activity book in it for when he is waiting in line?

ETA: Just thought of another idea . . . pajama pants, perhaps? And I don't know if you applique or not, but it would be pretty easy to do a Baymax applique t shirt that he could wear with the pajama pants and/or in the parks.

Last edited:

Thanks!!

I had settled on a pair of cargo pants, just solid colored with patterned pockets. But I took the kids to the fabric store today and found some adorable plaid Mickey fabric - very understated - so I'm actually going to do that for the body and navy accents to break it up a bit. Then he found soft/fuzzy Mickey fabric that he just had to have - he'll end up with that as a hoodie, plus the Buzz hoodie we're already working on. (He begged me to bring my sewing machine over and helped me sew part of it today. Kid cracks me up!)

ETA: Pajama pants was definitely on my list, but all of the fabric that I would use is "not approved for children's sleepwear." I'd be okay making jammies out of it for my own kiddo but I am hesitant for someone else's. Which stinks, because there is super cute, super soft Big Hero 6 flannel that I *almost* bought for just that purpose!

I am making bags for my 5yo boy, two 9yo boys & 11yo girl. I let them pick between two styles of bags and then took all 4 with me to the fabric store (that was the hardest part :scared:) I have finished two so far, Olaf for the girl and a star wars one for the oldest boy. (I'll post a pic as soon as I figure out how)

11079504_10204928656554668_4462011629892363927_o.jpg

Yay, it worked!
11124560_10204928655234635_271474025534118170_o.jpg

What about doing a simple t-shirt with an applique to match some basic flat-front shorts? Could use the fabric from the shorts as the applique.

I do like the button down shirt idea though. I always think little boys look so cute in those types of shirts.

I make shirts (collar and buttons down the front). I have learned to make them a bit longer than the pattern so there is a little "growing room" in them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!