Costco shared membership?

I had a SAMs membership this past year. I split it with my bestie on the other side of the state. It asked who my second card was for and I told them that she would come set it up herself. So her name went into the computer. She set hers up in her hometown and got a card. However they may have used my address for her card though... I got the SAMs promos in the mail for her. But no credit card bills.

Wow - I had the opposite experience. DH and I share a membership. We were there together, using his card. The cashier saw both of us in line, but DH went to grab some boxes. I attempted to pay, and the cashier made DH come back over and verify that he, as the card holder, was physically present. I appreciate the security, but this was a little overkill. :confused3

Wow- I don't have a Costco card I have a BJ's card but when I want to go to Costco I just borrow a friends card who looks nothing like me ad use that and she borrows my BJ's card and uses that- never have had any issues! If I am picking something up for my brother I use her Costco card and my brothers credit card and still have not had an issue.

I, too, share my Costco membership with my mom who lives in a different state. We've been on the same card for at least 10 years. However, I was told that the rules have changed and it's no longer allowed, but we were grandfathered in when they changed (enforced?) the rules.

So as long as we keep the card the way it is, it's fine. But we couldn't go sign up like this now. I don't know if I was given correct information, but it seems to fit with what everyone else is saying on here.

My sister and her best friend shared a membership for years. They each had a card with their name/picture on it. Maybe it is up to each store to decide how strict they want to be about it.

My sister and her best friend shared a membership for years. They each had a card with their name/picture on it. Maybe it is up to each store to decide how strict they want to be about it.

I think they are more concerned with shoplifters then people who actually buy stuff in their stores.

They may not even glance at the membership card, but they NEVER forget to count the items in your cart as you leave. I am especially careful to make sure all items get rung up before I leave the cash area, especially when I'm doing self checkout.

We have the executive membership that gives 2% back. Our rebate this year easily would have paid for 2 executive memberships. I'm probably going to sign up for their store amex as my current spg amex has so many points right now. That one gives a gas rebate as well as store rebate.

Did you know that gas at Costco is 'top tier' gas? Sam's is not. BJ's is not. The price is usually the same. This is why almost all my gas is Costco gas.

I use my moms card for Sams all the time. They never look at the picture. And they do not count the items in your cart as the lines are always too long to exit the store.

I don't know if its a difference, I am on my dad's Costco membership in a different state... but his is a business account (not a regular gold star account)

After several years, I offered to pay my own way (married, making a good income) but he asked me not to. Apparently he gets a 1% kickback on what I spend :rotfl2:

I've been more than honest at my costco. I've gone in (missing my card) telling them to look under ABC Company 2000 miles away. They don't act strange about it at all.

My MIL gets the second card of my Costco membership and she does not live at the same address. I'm not sure if they check her ID but she has been getting the second card for years.

My grandmother has a costco card that she will give to me to go buy things for her. The card has a different last name than mine, and a photo of a 90 year old. They way we get around that is when going in, just say you are going to the pharmacy. Some sort of law (maybe just New Jersey?) prohibits requiring a membership to access a pharmacy. Once you are in the store, you can go to self check out.

I just joined costco a few months ago
They gave me a form to fill out and it asked for drivers license numbers and ss# if you want to write checks.
They never asked to see my wife or anything, simply printed a card with my name on it and another with hers.
:confused3

Given the fact that the majority of their profits are from memberships, I'm sure that memberships shared by non-cohabitants is frowned upon.

Given the fact that the majority of their profits are from memberships, I'm sure that memberships shared by non-cohabitants is frowned upon.

I find that surprising(but I do believe you) because everyone I know has the executive with the cash back and gets their membership for free every year. I guess that must not be the norm.

I really just think it depends on the location or it being like another poster said about being "grandfathered in" if you have a split household. It certainly was not an issue when we signed up.

You also can shop at Costco without a membership as long as you use a costco gift card.

My aunt and my mom went in on a membership. I don't think my mom was allowed to get her own card. To get around it, they just go shopping together, or my mom just uses the card with my aunts picture. They look similar enough. They've also talked about just buying costco giftcards for her to use, since you don't need a membership if you have one of those. They are both pretty much single ladies (my uncle travels a ton), so it works out.

I'm baffled by the fact you don't need a membership to use a gift card. Thought you needed a membership number to begin the transaction. I do know that you don't need to be a member to use the pharmacy. I'll have to ask DH, he works there. That's how I know for a fact that memberships are where their largest profits are from.

I'm baffled by the fact you don't need a membership to use a gift card. Thought you needed a membership number to begin the transaction. I do know that you don't need to be a member to use the pharmacy. I'll have to ask DH, he works there. That's how I know for a fact that memberships are where their largest profits are from.

You need a membership to purchase a gc, but I could buy $100 gc for a friend and then they can go in and use it to buy stuff. I mean it would be a hassle to keep purchasing gc just to access the club deals, but I guess if you just wanted to go a couple of times a year and didn't want to have to go with a friend it would be a way you could do it. I would think it would be easier to just borrow someone's card vs doing that, but from some of the posts I belong to one of the more laid back costco locations where pretty much anything goes.

From the website:

Members and non-members may use the cash cards to shop at any Costco location in the United States, Canada, Puerto Rico and online at Costco.com or on Costco.ca. Costco Cash balances may be used toward membership or merchandise.

My mother in law has a membership and I use her card. I go through the self check out line and they never look at my card. She rarely goes to Costco, but loves that I use it and is happy to keep updating her membership so her family benefits from it.

My mother in law has a membership and I use her card. I go through the self check out line and they never look at my card. She rarely goes to Costco, but loves that I use it and is happy to keep updating her membership so her family benefits from it.

I keep seeing people talk about self check out....so lucky, wish our location had that:sad1:

I keep seeing people talk about self check out....so lucky, wish our location had that:sad1:

Our location has 4 self checkouts and about 6 regular lines. There is always someone to help you scan your stuff. I love them!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter