Cost of gas prices on Lake Buena Vista/535

CR Resort Fan 4 Life

DIS Veteran
Has anyone noticed how much more expensive gas costs at some of the stations on Lake Buena Vista/535, when you compare it to the Hess stations in WDW, on 192 and International Drive? Is it because of the area they are in that they can charge so much? That's the only reason I can think of, unless someone else has a different answer?

Gas prices vary widely for many reasons.

Most stations adjust costs based on what they pay suppliers when they get another load of gas, and that's where the pricing stays until the next load comes in, then it's adjusted accordingly.

The Hess stations on WDW property get their gas at a discounted rate from their supplier. Most suppliers give discounts based on volume. Some "brand name" stations charge more because they offer incentive based credit cards for thier brand that make their prices comparable to off-brands when the customer uses their branded credit card.

I'm not sure why you're trying to analyze this though. :confused3

I too have noticed that the gas prices in the area around WDW are a bit higher, but I have always chocked it up to simple supply and demand. That is one of the busiest areas of road in the area, and I avoid it for that very reason. If they are able to get $.10 more per gallon than another station 1/2 mile away, then I guess more power to them. It is the American way after all:) I'll just choose to drive the extra half mile before filling up...

I've always noticed this and simply can't understand who would put gas in some of those gas stations by the Disney entrance on 535.The one station that always has ridiculous prices is the one just south of the Disney entrance,we were at WDW around Dec.21st for a couple of days this gas station had regular for $3.47/gal.The Hess stations inside Disney were at $2.92/gal and I saw some on 192 around $2.85.I definitely don't think it's supply and demand there are many busy areas in Orlando such as in I-Drive where the avg. was about $2.95 for regular,so the only place that you see those prices are in that particular area.In my opinion they're simply ripping people off.

I agree with the last poster - all I can say is it's a lot cheaper to fill up in WDW than at home! It costs my DH $130 to fill up:scared1: I think we will have to get a bike:sad2:

When I find myself starting to complain about gas prices, I often try to remember the prices I have seen during my travels to Europe as a bit of reality check.

On the other hand, with the ever falling dollar, America is on a half price sale with those of you fortunate to hold the Pound:)

surprisingly enough gas prices are cheaper in Orlando than theyt are where i live... in Pensacola its a good 10 cent more than in Orlando i would take the gas prices in Orlando and LBV any day

I have always noticed the higher prices on 535. I really don't know why. Supply/Demand/Greed. If they can get those prices, then there really isn't a problem with it. If they couldn't get those prices, they wouldn't be charging them.
I think it is just such a busy area, they are likely banking on people not realizing there are cheaper stations on WDW property until after they filled up, and also on those not willing to drive the extra half mile.

Another side note on gas prices. When we were picking up our rental car the last time, we overheard them trying to sell the full tank of gas to many people, they streched the truth about current prices saying how expensive it was for gas and how the renters would be smart to buy this. As it turned out, gas was only a few cents more at the gas stations than the rental car companies were charging for a full tank. I can get in to the details of why the full tank option is just plain bad and you should never do it, but I won't.

Another side note on gas prices. When we were picking up our rental car the last time, we overheard them trying to sell the full tank of gas to many people, they streched the truth about current prices saying how expensive it was for gas and how the renters would be smart to buy this. As it turned out, gas was only a few cents more at the gas stations than the rental car companies were charging for a full tank. I can get in to the details of why the full tank option is just plain bad and you should never do it, but I won't.
I forget how much the actual cost would have been, but usually the rental car companies at the Airport charge 5X more then what a regular gas station would cost, so that is why when ever my family returns a rental car we always get gas before brining it back so it would have a full tank.

Also, part of the reason why gas is higher surrounding Disney is the cost of property is higher right around Disney. As you travel away from Disney, property costs start to drop, and gas prices start to drop, so the company has a larger overhead on getting into the property and higher property taxes.

On Disney property itself, I believe the contract with Hess gas was they could only go a certain percent higher than wholesale and Disney put that in the contract so that they couldn't gourge the guests ( Disney reserves the right to do that on Disney property)

I forget how much the actual cost would have been, but usually the rental car companies at the Airport charge 5X more then what a regular gas station would cost, so that is why when ever my family returns a rental car we always get gas before brining it back so it would have a full tank.

Rental car companies offer an option to buy a full tank before picking up the car. With this option, the price is usually about 5% below current market. When we were in Orlando in November they were charging 3.09/gallon. You can then bring the car back with any level of gas in it.

What you are referring to is if you don't buy the full tank and they have to fill the car after it is returned. They will fill it and charge for the actual amount of gas put in it at astronomical prices. If they have to put 2 gallons in they charge for 2 gallons. The option I was referring to is if the car holds 12 gallons they charge you for 12 gallons up front.

If you bring the car back on fumes you are ahead, bring it back with as little as a gallon still in the tank and you have lost money on the deal. The car companies know that no one is going to risk running out of gas when returning the car so they cash in.

Rental car companies offer an option to buy a full tank before picking up the car. With this option, the price is usually about 5% below current market. When we were in Orlando in November they were charging 3.09/gallon. You can then bring the car back with any level of gas in it.
Oh wow, I had no idea about that rule so I just learned something new.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter