Corral placement & proof of time for challenges

MeridaAndAngus

If you had a chance to change your fate would you
Looking for some advice. I'll be running the Dumbo Double Dare this year. It'll be my first challenge race. I'm still a pretty slow runner, but I'm working on completing local 10ks & half marathons to help keep myself in shape & for a decent time to submit for the challenge.

I'd love some input based on past runDisney experiences on what proof of time will help keep me out of the dread last corrals for the Dumbo Double Dare. I remember reading last year some folks were upset with their challenge corral placement for Dumbo because it seemed like rD (or Track Shack) had assumed much slower times for Dumbo than people felt was realistic based on their proof of time.

Here's my scenario. My best half time so far is 3 hr 5 min. I'm a run-walk person, and I'm still in my first year of running. There's an upcoming local half on a course I've run before (fast & flat course). I think I could get myself to a just under 3 hr half on that course. There's also a 10k that same weekend (also fast & flat course). I think I can get to a 1 hr 15 min 10k on that course.

My question is, will a 3 hr half proof of time keep me out of the last corrals for Dumbo? What about a 75 min 10k time? Of these two times, is it better to submit my half time or 10k time?

I've heard rD uses the McMillan calculator to determine times, but how does that work for challenges like Dumbo? Do they just add on extra time assuming people will be tired from a two day race?

Looking for some advice. I'll be running the Dumbo Double Dare this year. It'll be my first challenge race. I'm still a pretty slow runner, but I'm working on completing local 10ks & half marathons to help keep myself in shape & for a decent time to submit for the challenge.

I'd love some input based on past runDisney experiences on what proof of time will help keep me out of the dread last corrals for the Dumbo Double Dare. I remember reading last year some folks were upset with their challenge corral placement for Dumbo because it seemed like rD (or Track Shack) had assumed much slower times for Dumbo than people felt was realistic based on their proof of time.

Here's my scenario. My best half time so far is 3 hr 5 min. I'm a run-walk person, and I'm still in my first year of running. There's an upcoming local half on a course I've run before (fast & flat course). I think I could get myself to a just under 3 hr half on that course. There's also a 10k that same weekend (also fast & flat course). I think I can get to a 1 hr 15 min 10k on that course.

My question is, will a 3 hr half proof of time keep me out of the last corrals for Dumbo? What about a 75 min 10k time? Of these two times, is it better to submit my half time or 10k time?

I've heard rD uses the McMillan calculator to determine times, but how does that work for challenges like Dumbo? Do they just add on extra time assuming people will be tired from a two day race?

I'm not sure how well the Disneyland race times and corrals compare to WDW, but I just did GSC with my sister. Her 75 min 10k got her C for the 10k and I (out of P) for the half. Even if west coast racers are faster, I still think that a 75 minute 10k time will keep you ahead of the last corrals. As an illustration of how a few minutes can make a big difference I'll say my 63 minute ( 12 minutes less) 10k got me B and F.

I'm not sure, but I think the 10k time would be the better to submit.

Any time that you submit that is faster than the time which they don't require a proof of time will get you out of the last corral. The faster your submitted time, the further up that gets you.

Just putting in the numbers into the McMillan calculator, the 10K time predicts a 2:47 half time, which would seed you further up than your documented 3:05 half time. I would use that one, since you are concerned about getting further towards the front.

Use a faster 10K time. That is our plan, DD and I, if we do another runDisney race. For Glass Slipper this year I was in A for the 10K and F for the half. My submitted time was a 2:15 half.

I think either of those times will keep you out of the last corral. :)

If they are using the same method of taking times for Dumbo as they did for January (the most recent race I've done), they'll have a link on rD.com where you put your submitted time and distance in, and it'll spit out your predicted time right there. So if they are doing that same thing it should give you some real-time feedback (I'll be in a similar scenario - need to decide whether to use a 10K or a 10-miler time). But I agree, it seems the 10K time will probably get you a better corral.

Hello Everyone! Sorry for piggybacking, but I have a similar question. However, this is in regards to the 10K events.

I have completed a couple Run Disney challenges, but I have never run a Disney race with my daughter. She is turning 10 this year, so I wanted to run the Star Wars 10K with her next January. Do I need to submit a proof of time for her so we aren't in the last corral for that race? On the Run Disney site, it says that no proof of time is needed for 10K events, but does anyone know how to they decide who goes in which corral?

I can't add anything orignal other than share my expereince running out of Corrall P. Ths past January I ran the Goofy Challenge as my first races ever, so I had no proof of time to offer. Given that I was placed in Corrall P. I am not a fast runner by any stetch of the imagination but I can tell you it was rough. I joked to my wife after that I ran a half and full marathon and a 10k during by zigzagging back and forth trying to get around other runners. But even tougher was the long wait to start was so difficult for me!

I agree with what others have shared, go with a 10K time and good luck and have a great time!

Hello Everyone! Sorry for piggybacking, but I have a similar question. However, this is in regards to the 10K events.

I have completed a couple Run Disney challenges, but I have never run a Disney race with my daughter. She is turning 10 this year, so I wanted to run the Star Wars 10K with her next January. Do I need to submit a proof of time for her so we aren't in the last corral for that race? On the Run Disney site, it says that no proof of time is needed for 10K events, but does anyone know how to they decide who goes in which corral?

I have never done a stand alone 10K with runDisney, but they don't require a proof of time for a 5K, so I am presuming their policy/protocol is the same. They ask you to estimate your pace for the race and give you a half dozen choices or so as which to pick. I would imagine if you both selected the same pace group, then you'd be in the same corral.

I can't add anything orignal other than share my expereince running out of Corrall P. Ths past January I ran the Goofy Challenge as my first races ever, so I had no proof of time to offer. Given that I was placed in Corrall P. I am not a fast runner by any stetch of the imagination but I can tell you it was rough. I joked to my wife after that I ran a half and full marathon and a 10k during by zigzagging back and forth trying to get around other runners. But even tougher was the long wait to start was so difficult for me!

I agree with what others have shared, go with a 10K time and good luck and have a great time!

The wait for your corral is probably the worst thing to me. Yes the latter corrals have more runners and cause a bit more zig zagging, but the waiting and standing are torture for me. I'd almost rather run further, just not to stand still.

MinnieMouse28--I had my 12 year old run the 5k with me at Disney in January and my 15 year old run the 10k. Neither had proof of time but I think I used an estimated finish time for them. They both started in Corral D. If your daughter's corral starts later than yours, you can always move back to be with her. That's what I did.

I have a question about submitting proof of time. I am planning on doing the Glass Slipper Challenge in 2016. In my area, it is very difficult to even locate a 10k (majority of local runs are 5k). I have 2 options this year but only 1 posts finishing times online. I have read, in different blogs, contradictory statements regarding whether the race has to have a 'certified' course, post online finishes, etc. Is there anyone who can walk me through the actual process? Do you just enter in the information when you register? Do they verify the information online or do I submit my official print-out time, etc? There is a 10k in my area in May I would like to use as my time but it is not a certified course nor are results posted. The other (certified, posted) race is 1 week before the deadline for submitting proof of time. Should I wait and try to submit that one? Should I just stop worrying about corral placement in general? :)

I have a question about submitting proof of time. I am planning on doing the Glass Slipper Challenge in 2016. In my area, it is very difficult to even locate a 10k (majority of local runs are 5k). I have 2 options this year but only 1 posts finishing times online. I have read, in different blogs, contradictory statements regarding whether the race has to have a 'certified' course, post online finishes, etc. Is there anyone who can walk me through the actual process? Do you just enter in the information when you register? Do they verify the information online or do I submit my official print-out time, etc? There is a 10k in my area in May I would like to use as my time but it is not a certified course nor are results posted. The other (certified, posted) race is 1 week before the deadline for submitting proof of time. Should I wait and try to submit that one? Should I just stop worrying about corral placement in general? :)

If there are no results online then it can't be used for Proof of time. There's an online form you fill out and a link to your result is required. I would only do one if the results are online.

Should I just stop worrying about corral placement in general? :)

It's always better to get a placement in a corral based on a time instead of being put in the last corral. You'll have less people to deal with from a congestion perspective, and you'll have more time to finish the race.

I would keep looking for another 10k, even if you have to travel a bit. Waiting until the week before the deadline leaves you no option if something comes up last minute. I know several people got stuck when the race they were going to use was cancelled or rescheduled. Good luck!

I would recommend getting a proof of time. I failed to post a proof of time for the WDW Marathon Weekend and ended up in the last corrall; it was rough. Once Corrall A went I had to wait just over 40 more minutes and it felt like hours! Have a great time running the Glass Slipper Challenge.

I have 3 half marathons from last year, 2 which have results posted on line, one of which I'm pretty sure is certified since they invite runners and have a cash payout for winners (maybe that doesn't make a difference). I have an email out to them asking if they are certified. I ran a 10K last weekend which is, at this point, the time I'd like to use because I did well. I emailed the 10K people and just heard back from them. Their results are posted on line and they gave me a certification number from 2013 and will be certified again NEXT year...their "distance is correct, but technically is not certified." How strict are the runDisney powers that be? Any idea? If they can look up the official time and distance will they say, "sorry this race has no current certification number" and if they reject your race time, will you know so you can submit another one? I'm running the half that I believe is certified again this year on May 30. Any advice on what info I should submit would be appreciated!

I have 3 half marathons from last year, 2 which have results posted on line, one of which I'm pretty sure is certified since they invite runners and have a cash payout for winners (maybe that doesn't make a difference). I have an email out to them asking if they are certified. I ran a 10K last weekend which is, at this point, the time I'd like to use because I did well. I emailed the 10K people and just heard back from them. Their results are posted on line and they gave me a certification number from 2013 and will be certified again NEXT year...their "distance is correct, but technically is not certified." How strict are the runDisney powers that be? Any idea? If they can look up the official time and distance will they say, "sorry this race has no current certification number" and if they reject your race time, will you know so you can submit another one? I'm running the half that I believe is certified again this year on May 30. Any advice on what info I should submit would be appreciated!

We've heard anything from the course needs to be certified to the results just need to be certified and available online.

I lean towards thinking it's just that the time/result needs to be certified and online - and that's why they don't accept virtual runs as PoT.

I would put in the fastest time you have for right now, and then submit the half you're going to run. Chances are, you'll be good as long as you have a link to results.

So, even if you submit one time, you can change it as long as it's before the cut off date? I just received an email that the Dam to Dam Half IS certified so I'm looking to improve on last year's time but it's not a fast course like my 10K this weekend. :worried:

Yup! It's a website - you can submit a new Proof of Time every week if you want to!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter