Corned Beef & Cabbage in Crock Pot?

OKWAnneMarie

DIS Veteran
Has anyone ever made corned beef and cabbage in a crock pot? I would love some recipes and/or advice.

Thanks.

I FOUND ONE

Ingredients
1 medium onion, cut into wedges
4 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
1 pound baby carrots
3 cups water
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 bay leaf
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 (3 pound) corned beef brisket with spice packet, cut in half
1 small head cabbage, cut into wedges

Directions
Place meat in a 5-qt. crock pot. Combine the onion, potatoes and carrots, water, garlic, bay leaf, sugar, vinegar, pepper and contents of spice packet; pour over beef. Top with cabbage. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours depending on your slow cooker or until meat and vegetables are tender. Remove bay leaf before serving.

Has anyone ever made corned beef and cabbage in a crock pot? I would love some recipes and/or advice.

Thanks.

It is very easy. Take the corned beef and put in crockpot. Add the seasoning packet that comes with it and a bottle of beer. Put cabbage, carrots and potatoes on top. Cover and let cook all day long. It is easy and really good. The meat does shrink alot (I learned this the hard way the first time I made it for my in-laws).

It is very easy. Take the corned beef and put in crockpot. Add the seasoning packet that comes with it and a bottle of beer. Put cabbage, carrots and potatoes on top. Cover and let cook all day long. It is easy and really good. The meat does shrink alot (I learned this the hard way the first time I made it for my in-laws).

I do it the same way but instead of beer I just use water. My mouth is watering just thinking about Corned Beef. Yummy!!!

for a couple of years now.
Funny story...the first few times I cooked it...my daughter complained that the house smelled awful!!! The next year. when I made it...I put the crockpot on the back porch so as not to smell up the house. My new SIL (daughter's husband) came over that day to mow our yard. He came in about a half hour after he started mowing and said..."Mom...don't go out into your backyard, somethings died out there and I'm trying to find it!" This is still a big story every St. Pat's Day now at our house...:rotfl:
Barb

Just made it, I just use water and the spice packet that comes with it, then I add red skin potatoes and cabbage.

I usually cook it in the crock pot. The one thing I did find, though, was I don't add the cabbage in at the beginning. I add it in about half-way through the cooking time. I cook the potatoes in a separate pot on the stove. The corned beef, I just add the spice packet and water (and baby carrots if I have them).

I do my corned beef in the crockpot with water and the spice packet that comes with. Put in at bedtime, fish out in the morning. Scrape the excess fat off the meat, put the meat in a tupperware in the fridge. Toss that excess fat, pour the broth into a different tupperware and put it in the fridge. That evening, spoon the congealed fat off the broth and put the broth in a pot on the stove. Quarter and core a couple heads of cabbage, put them in the pot of broth, lid on, cook for 15-20 minutes. Slice the beef and add it back to the pot to take the chill off.

Makes it at least a little more waist-friendly!

DH is leaving tomorrow on business trip, so this is what we had tonight! Well, I don't make the cabbage, but put some carrots, onions, water and the spice packet in the crock pot with the meat. I had a small piece of meat, and it cooked 3 hours on high and 2 on low, and it was delicious!

Bobbi:goodvibes

I have never cooked this before.

Can anyone tell me how long to cook it in a Crock Pot for? Also when I bought it I asked to Meat guy how to cook it and he said I have to boil the salt off it for about a half hour( in a pot of water ) do I need to do this if I cook it in the Crock Pot?

Thank You,
Melissa

I have never cooked this before.

Can anyone tell me how long to cook it in a Crock Pot for? Also when I bought it I asked to Meat guy how to cook it and he said I have to boil the salt off it for about a half hour( in a pot of water ) do I need to do this if I cook it in the Crock Pot?

I have never heard of 'boiling the salt off of it'. You will get a foamy scum on the top of the water, just scoop it out and toss it.
I cook as above with water. I put this on low at 8-9am and turn off 4-5pm.If I am working, I have put it on as early as 6:30am on low and it cooks all day 'til I get home about 6:00pm.
I only turn my current crock on low since it boils things quickly. My old one could be on high all day and be fine. So it just depends on yours. Corned Beef and Cabbage is one of my favorite meals.

:thumbsup2

Thanks.

I did mine this way for last night's dinner and it was the best I'd ever had. Not sure if it was just the cut of meat I got or the crockpot method of cooking, but it was yummy!

I started with just the beef and cooked on high for 6 hrs. added my veggies (cabbage, onion, potato, carrots) and cooked for another few hours.

At dinner time the veggies were still a bit underdone, so I moved it all into a pot and simmered for 1/2 hour. It was very good.

popcorn::

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter