Cooperstown, New York

momto1

DIS Veteran
We are going to Cooperstown, New York for a baseball tournament in a coupld of weeks. I would love any suggestions for things to do, places to eat, etc. I really need to keep this to a budget.

DS has been dreaming of this trip since he was 8. It should be a blast.

TIA!
Lori

Sorry, I don't have much advice for you as it's been over 10 years since we have visited. BUT, I wanted just to say how much I LOVED Cooperstown! It was a quaint charming little town, with a beautiful lake. I can't wait to visit again when my DS is old enough to appreciate it.

Look forward to hearing others advice!!

Have fun!

We did Cooperstown 6 years ago. We were only able to do an overnight but the one attraction we visited (aside from the HOF, of course) was Howe's Caverns. http://www.howecaverns.com/ Very interesting. Have a nice trip!

If you're going to be there several days you may want to do the combo ticket for the 3 major attractions, the Hall of Fame, Farmer's Museum and Fenimore Art Museum, or look at the other discount options on this site:
http://www.cooperstowntickets.com/#combo

When you go to the Hall of Fame make sure to fill in the kids' quiz page--it takes around 20-30 minutes to fill in all the answers but it's a good way to get into the details of the exhibits and when it's done they give the kids a free pack of baseball cards at the book shop.

Many of the restaurants on Main Street (in Cooperstown village itself) are quite expensive and touristy. The cheapest is the pizzeria, Sal's, not a shiny new place but it's authentic NYC style pizza. You'll probably be spending time in that area if the tournament is in Doubleday field. You may want to bring in sandwiches and packaged snacks to save $$. There's also a drug store and a small supermarket/dollar store on Main St. between Doubleday Field and the Hall of Fame for budget snacks.

Are you going to have a car? The Soccer Hall of Fame is around 30 min away in Oneonta:
http://national.soccerhall.org/Plan_Your_Visit.htm

There's a beautiful state park along the lake 15 min north of Cooperstown--there are some activities listed
http://www.nysparks.com/parks/info.asp?parkID=22

We've been to the Hall of Fame 4-5 times--if you have specific questions I might remember some more facts.

Thanks everybody! These are some great ideas. We are looking forward to this trip!
Lori

a short distance away is the herkimer diamond mine where you can mine for diamonds... although we've not been yet, it is on the kids/dh's short list of vacation destinations... there is also a KOA campground there if you are interested in camping... i believe it is a 30 mile ride from cooperstown...

My husband's best friend owns a wax museum on Main St. in Cooperstown. We actually stayed in the apartment in the museum & it was really creepy at night LOL. It actually is a really cool place to visit and has lots of interesting things inside.

I live very close to Cooperstown. It is a town that is plopped in the county towns.. Farms and Farms .If you do not like baseball you will be board. It is a nice town to walk around. They have the best Pizza place :thumbsup2. Good prices to. Herkimer Diamond mines are 45 min away( again major drive through county roads).. Try to stay in Richfield Springs for hotels (you will still have to drive) also Try Tally Ho in RichfieldSprings for dinner GREAT diner food:thumbsup2

My son will be playing at Cooperstown from June 27th thru July 3rd!!! When does your son play? I am glad you posted this question because I have no idea what else we will do besides the games and the hall of fame.

Good luck to your sons team

BTW...we are playing at the all star village and staying in the cabins across the street from the field

My son will be playing at Cooperstown from June 27th thru July 3rd!!! When does your son play?

We will be there June 13 - 19th. We are the Plainfield Warriors Red. Good luck to you son, too! I bet your son is super excited. I know mine is!
Lori

We will be there June 13 - 19th. We are the Plainfield Warriors Red. Good luck to you son, too! I bet your son is super excited. I know mine is!
Lori

He is very excited and he has been waiting for this too since he has been about 8 or 9. Have fun and enjoy...they will remember this forever!!

We went to Cooperstown in February. Had a very nice dinner at an Italian place called Nicoletta's. Right on the main street on the opposite side from the Hall of Fame.

We were there in '06 for my son to play at the Dreams Park, and then we literally DROVE there last summer so he and my hubby could do the Hall of Fame "properly". If you found a place to stay, then you are over the hardest part!

Remember that the Dreamspark is south of true Cooperstown. The best place to eat for a quick bite is right across the street at DiMaggio's. I'll try to edit with a pic where you can see the park in the background.

IMG_0662.jpg

IMG_0673.jpg

My best advice is bring a fan if you can for your kids' bunk. Buy gatorades at the supermarket, and bring an umbrella. Also, do you already have pin books for you kids? You can buy them there, and they aren't too much.

Have fun! OH - and Brooks BBQ is down south of the Dreamspark and is great. A real throw back of a place (looks like it is stuck in the 70's) but we loved it!

ok heres the deal, live minutes away in fact just got home from cooperstown

sal's pizza on main st the best.
there are 2 chinese resturants one right in the village and the other near the dream park, both are decent, P& C the supermarket makes great subs they are huge. Danny's market on main st has great sandwiches.

Tunnicliff creamery on rt 20 between richfiled springs and springfield, makes there own ice cream and has great food, they do classic car cruise ins one night a week. worth a trip. cherry walnut ameretto is my fav.

Brooks bbq in oneonta is worth the trip less then 1/2 hour from the dreams park.

park in a trolley lot and ride the trolley into town, parking sucks! and the 2 hour limit is strictly enforced.

If you are looking for a fancy dressed up kind of dinner visit either
the otesaga hotel (they also do a breakfast and lunch buffet)
ot the American Hotel in sharon springs

Things in the surrounding area to visit besides the hall of fame
fly creek cider mill
howes caverns
landis arboretum
farmers museum
glimmerglass opera

please feel free to pm me about specifics on any place you want more info on. I have lived here my entire life.

We were there in '06 for my son to play at the Dreams Park, and then we literally DROVE there last summer so he and my hubby could do the Hall of Fame "properly".

When I looked where you are from DROVE is quite an event! Thanks for the tips.
Lori

WOW! Thanks everybody! It sounds like we will have a fun filled trip with lots of good food!
Lori

We will be at Cooperstown Dream Park 7/31. Trying to figure out what to do with my 21 year old daughter..... I am fearing, as she is not a baseball fan, even though it is her brother, she will drive us nuts!

Should be interesting!

---Paul in Southern NJ

Another vote for Brooks! My DH's family is from the area ( Middletown & Schenevus). I would make the drive to Brooks! Rachel Ray once featured Brooks on one of her old Food Network shows. My DH aunt lives near their and you can smell it for miles! :cheer2:

The Cooperstown Bat Company may be interesting for the boys if they have never seen a bat made before.

How's this for frugal??

When we were newly married and had little vacation time and less money, my husband was DYING to go see Ozzie Smith be inducted into the Hall of Fame...

So we drove - from southwestern OHIO - to Cooperstown in in the middle of the night, and slept in our car for about 2 hours before the museum opened. We spent all day touring the museum and watching the ceremony, and then got in the car and drove all the way home.

It was an 11 hour drive each way... absolutely insane, unsafe, and I could never do it now - but what a memory :)

Have a fantastic trip - Cooperstown is adorable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter