"Cool Straight People"

Hi there :goodvibes This is my first post on this section of the boards.

I think I'm a CSP. :thumbsup2

My best friend that I have had since high school is a lesbian, and she is very praising to me sometimes in the fact that out of all her original so called friends in highschool, I was the ONLY one who accepted her when she came out. Everyone else shyed away from her like she had a disease, and that they would catch 'the gay' or something.... :rolleyes:
(also keep in mind we went to school in a conservative southern highschool....)

She got ridiculed a lot in highschool, but I stayed with her as a true friend would do through thick and thin..even when my own sexuality was constantly questioned because I dared to have a friend who was a homosexual... :rolleyes1

We still keep in touch, because after all she's the best friend a girl could have. :cloud9:

I consider myself to be a CSP ... I tend to be the person all my friends come to for relationship advice, and regardless of whether its a gay or straight relationship, I usually have some advice to offer. Personally, I feel that sexual orientation doesn't matter ... yes, sometimes I'll use it as an identifier maybe to distinguish between 2 folks with the same name, but only if other identifiers don't work (ie both have black hair or something)

I know cool people of all orientations, and I know jerks of all orientations. Either way, we're all humans, right?

Hi All!!

CSP here! We could be a co-ed fraternity...Chi Sigma Pi! Sorry, couldn't resist! I guess I haven't paid much attention to the DIS recently because I just noticed this board. Anyway, I'm 41 and have been married to DH (also a CSP...well, OK, he was a band geek in H.S. ;) LOL!)for 15 years.

I've always had gay friends, male and female, and I absolutely adore the ones I have in my life now!! Not that my straight friends aren't just as adorable but I've come to really appreciate the courage it takes for GLBT people to live truly open and free lives!

I consider myself very fortunate because I was raised by my Mom & Grandma who always accepted everyone just the way they were!!! The only things, to this day, that make my Mom's blood boil are lies and any form of prejudice! One of my fondest memories of my Grandma (who passed last year) is from high school. There was one totally out guy in our theatre group (theatre...anti-cool red flag :rolleyes1 ) who had a boyfriend from another school. One day, my Grandma was sewing one of my costumes and she was all excited because Steve was going to bring his mysterious guy to the wrap party and she wanted to know all about him. This was in 1980! As it turned out, the boyfriend was a guy that always flirted with me in Jr. high!! LOL!!!! Go figure!

I guess I was always kind of naive when it came to any bigotry. Then I met DH's parents! I'll spare the details but.... I wasn't the right religion....chaos ensued... :confused3 blah, blah, blah...............

Anyway, I'm all about peace. I know it sounds trite but, seriously, I believe we are all connected so, if even one person isn't allowed to be at peace with who they are, how can they be at peace with the world?
We all lose! I'm for all of us winning! :grouphug: Oh wait, I need this one too... :hippie: LOL!!

OK....I've babbled long enough! I'll sum up with ..yay, I'm glad I noticed this board and I'll be back!! :love:

Hi! :wave2:

I'm another who would really like to think I'm a "CSP" . . .

although "cool" is not usually a word I associate with myself and I'm sure my students would die before they'd call me a "cool" anything! :crazy:

Anyway, I hate to come on here and say "I have a lot of gay friends," because . . . well, you know how lame that sounds.

I guess it's the truth, though. My two closest friends here in town are both gay men. (I work in the theater department of university campus, so straight people are actually in the minority at work!) DH and I also vacation regularly with one of those guys and his partner. We've been all over the world together as couples and had some really wonderful trips!

Also, my cousin (who is more like a sister in my heart) is a lesbian and she and her partner are the ones that DH and I have appointed as legal guardians for Paul should anything happen to both of us. When making that choice, her sexuality never even entered the equation. We love them, they love us, and they and Paul ADORE each other. We have no doubt that they would raise him in the way we would want him to be raised. It was a natural choice.

My son is growing up with lots of gay people in his life - single people as well as loving long-term couples. Right now, at two, he sees all of that as totally natural. For him, seeing two men or two women holding hands is as normal as seeming mommy and daddy do the same thing. I really hope it stays that way. I hope that, by the time he's grown up, there won't be any such thing as "CSPs" - because acceptance and understanding will be so common that most everybody will be "cool"!

As for me, it just honestly boggles my mind to see people get in such an uproar over who somebody loves. :confused3 I honestly don't get it. If you can find someone you love, who will love you back and make you happy, then you've found a real gift. Why should it matter what gender that person is any more than it matters what race or religion they are or if they're short, fat, tall, skinny, etc?

I keep telling myself I'm not going to get drawn into any more debates on the DIS, but, when it comes to gay issues, nursing in public, and a woman's right to make decisions regarding her own body - I just can't seem to keep my mouth shut. :rolleyes1

I'm done rambling now. Carry on. :teeth:

I actually come from a long line of CSP's and I'm proud of it :thumbsup2. I'm looking forward to raising some little CSP's one day too.

I have been sitting here trying to think of something funny, cool, neat to say, but nothing has come to me yet. Just wanted to say As a cSP ( def nothing cool) noooo, nope, nadda and my dd would attest to that, and which you could tell by yourself since I wasn't able to come with anything cool to say. So i thought I would just say I am so sorry you have had to endure rude and mean remarks by some people. Who cares who you love. If you are blessed to have a child in your life. Great. I just don't understand how some people think a gay couple can't raise a family. Personally I am more worried about their kids since they have no problem teaching hate and intolerance for other people. And what really gets me, is, they call themselves good christian people. Sorry thats a whole nother topic.

I am new to this site and posting, so I thought I would check out this forum to see if I could score any Disney tips. Great topic that got me thinking about our last trip to Disney that enabled me to talk to DD (2) about "all kinds of families". Waiting in a MASSIVE line with us one night were a "Daddy" and a "Papa" with two sweet boys of another race. Trying to keep DD happy, I got the Magna Doodle out of the diaper bag and the two little guys next to us were all about it! So DD scribbled with the boys while DH and I made small talk with the parents. Out of the middle of nowhere, one of the boys says to me "I do not have a Mommy, but two Daddies". I told him how great that was and that I did not have a Mommy (anymore), just one Daddy now too. DD was taking it all in! Line moves, we say good bye and I think that is the end. Later DD said "that little boy has a lot of Daddies". Thus starting our talk about "all kinds of families." We went through all the possible combos, just Grandma, two Mommies, two Daddies, etc.. And from time to time, she will tell me about families and who is in them, always bringing up families with two mommies or two daddies. I feel so happy we were able to have that experience so early in her life and in a way see could see it in action. Being from Indianapolis, I am not sure she would have met that family here. And the fact that her early memories of it will be of a happy, loving family that was the same as ours. Two parents, with two kids, going broke at Disney. ;) So it is imprinted in her mind now that a "family" does not always look like her own. I wonder if we would have been lucky enough to meet them anywhere else but Disney. (We have gay friends that our kids know, but none with children. ) Just one of those great life lessons learned at Disney.

Just saying Hi :wave2: Don't really have a story to tell or anything, but I do think it was a great idea to have this board added here.

Hey all! :wave:

Just wondering, anyone booze or grub up in here? Anyone..anyone?

:teeth:

:drinking1

vettechick99 said:

Friends???? Mike??? Sue???? Penny???? Anyone want to fill Vettechick in on my martini affliction?

Hey, friend, as I've said, we'd love to host your continuing trip report over here - just say the word and we'll see what we can do.

Viki said:
Anyone want to fill Vettechick in on my martini afflcition?
No affliction, just a thirst for good gin/vodka! Speaking of adult beverages, it's almost margarita time! Happy Friday everyone! :teeth:

Hi Vettechick - I'm addicted to your reports. They are absolutely hilarious! All members of the DIS should take up a collection so we can send you guys on another trip!

PennyW said:
No affliction, just a thirst for good gin/vodka! Speaking of adult beverages, it's almost margarita time! Happy Friday everyone! :teeth:

Hi Vettechick - I'm addicted to your reports. They are absolutely hilarious! All members of the DIS should take up a collection so we can send you guys on another trip!

Hey, Penny, catch up with this - I already had three gold margaritas for lunch (when in Mexico) and, yes, that was with another pastor!!!

And, now, what am I doing? I'm on my way to meet my babe for one of those *afflictions* (always vodka, darlin') and a burger (with blue cheese in both) at the local pub to cheer on Vill-A- NO-VA!!!

Have a good one!

And, come on, everyone - talk Vettechick into switching teams (on the disboards folks, just on the disboards). We like Kory too!

OK, I'm home and I have to confess that after 3 Margiritas for lunch there was no way I could look at anything stronger than diet coke for dinner. I am such a wimp. Mea culpa.

vettechick99 said:

Viki - I think she came to the right place!! Let's see - I'm heading down tomorrow and right now I'm thinking about what I'm going to be eating and drinking for the next few days, a few of us had a mini-meet at the Rose and Crown, and we tend to talk alot about 'beverages' ... yup, you'll fit right in.

What's the food equivalent of a dirty martini? It's gotta be something you kick back with. It should speak of worldly grittiness, of really having lived, but also of refinement, of knowing better despite what one has chosen to endure. It should also be slightly naughty and ironic, indulgent yet bittersweet. It's what Humphrey Bogart or Greta Garbo would nosh on after someone had walked out on them. Maybe caviar on a stale Ritz cracker?

Mama Twinkles said:
What's the food equivalent of a dirty martini? It's gotta be something you kick back with. It should speak of worldly grittiness, of really having lived, but also of refinement, of knowing better despite what one has chosen to endure. It should also be slightly naughty and ironic, indulgent yet bittersweet. It's what Humphrey Bogart or Greta Garbo would nosh on after someone had walked out on them. Maybe caviar on a stale Ritz cracker?

Wow! What she said!

Saxton said:
Viki - I think she came to the right place!! Let's see - I'm heading down tomorrow and right now I'm thinking about what I'm going to be eating and drinking for the next few days, a few of us had a mini-meet at the Rose and Crown, and we tend to talk alot about 'beverages' ... yup, you'll fit right in.

Sue - have a great trip and keep us informed!

Another CSP here! What matters is the quality of relationships, not the gender of the partners! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter