Cookies from cake mixes! Also: BISCOTTI, BARS, CUPS & POPS

MMM, I have no patience to try the recipe, unfortunately just was trying to start a diet... Well maybe tomorrow :)...

Yes, the white cake mix will work, too. :goodvibes

Ok, so one more question. Is it better to use oil, crisco, butter or butter flavored crisco. I cannot for the life of me remember what I used last year when I made the red velvet w/white chipe and the chocolate w/mint chips. I will write it down this year.

I sorta lean toward either oil or regular crisco with a white cake mix, but maybe not? Help me :confused3

Ok, so one more question. Is it better to use oil, crisco, butter or butter flavored crisco. I cannot for the life of me remember what I used last year when I made the red velvet w/white chip and the chocolate w/mint chips. I will write it down this year.

I sorta lean toward either oil or regular crisco with a white cake mix, but maybe not? Help me :confused3

You can actually use any of them. Cake mixes are designed to be very forgiving and still work out. For a white cake mix, use the butter or butter flavored Crisco for that extra boost of butter flavor.

There is a current 8 page thread over on the DIS Community Board on how to doctor cake mixes for yummier tasting cakes: :thumbsup2

Boxed Cakes w/ a Little Extra!

I'll also add a link to it on the first post here, to make it easier to find later.

A couple other ways to do cookie cups:

Spray the outside of a muffin pan with cooking spray, or wipe with a little vegetable oil or butter, than form the cookie dough around it and bake. It will for a slightly larger cookie cup than one done on the inside of the pan.

These are for cookie cups to be filled after they are baked. Example: fill them with ice cream & toppings for a sundae. :)

e7bf19da.jpg

Or use the space in between the muffin cups to make your cookie cups:

644f2ccd.jpg

Here is a "What's wrong with my cookie?" guide. Cake mix cookies usually turn out because the cake mix chemists have developed a mix to work for many people, in many conditions and through many different techniques. But, for regular, homemade cookies, this guide should be helpful.

http://theperfectchocolatechipcookie.com/instruct.php

Problems:

7fd85c6a.jpg

There are many variables in baking. Pictured are cookies with various problems using the same dough (with flour adjustments in numbers 3 &4).
1. This cookie is done just right. It is pictured to compare with the rest.
2. This dough was not refrigerated. It is still good but a little flatter than it should be.
3. This dough contained too much flour and did not spread much at all. It is interesting to note that the dough looked identical to the correct dough, but was much stiffer and drier.
4. This dough had too little flour. It spread too much and didn’t bake evenly.
5. This dough was over-mixed. It had a poor color, baked flat and had a strange consistency.
6. This dough was formed too small. It was overcooked at eight minutes. It is fine to make smaller cookies, just bake them for less time.
7. This dough was formed too large. The outsides were done while the middle was too high and underdone.
8. This dough was baked in an oven 25 degrees too hot. The outside was overdone and the inside was slightly underdone.
9. This dough was baked in an oven 25 degrees too cool. It fell flat and became too crisp without much of an inside.
10. This dough was frozen when baked. It took longer to bake and didn't cook as evenly. To use frozen dough, set on cookie sheet at room temperature while oven is preheating, 15-20 minutes. It takes the frost off and bakes perfectly.

Imzadi, any good ideas for a cookie cup, using red velvet cake mix? tia:flower3:

Fill that baby with cheesecake. YUM!

Ooo! Cheesecake sounds good. :love:

Or how about something green, :scratchin to give the cookie cup a green & red Christmas theme? Maybe vanilla frosting mixed into a Mint Frosting?

Mint Frosting
1 cup vanilla frosting (from 16 oz container)
1/4 teaspoon mint extract
1 drop green food color, if desired?

Or fill cups with (white) chocolate frosting, then sprinkle on bits of Andes Mints & green and red sprinkles.

Or make cookie cups for ice cream & fill with pistachio ice cream. :)

Hey Zadi!!! Remember me?? I'm heading into the Big Apple again on New Years Day, Jersey Boys, of course!!! Can't wait to check out the city
all decked out for the holidays!!

HAPPY HOLIDAYS to you!!!:santa:

Hey Zadi!!! Remember me?? I'm heading into the Big Apple again on New Years Day, Jersey Boys, of course!!! Can't wait to check out the city
all decked out for the holidays!!

HAPPY HOLIDAYS to you!!!:santa:

SHARON!!!! :yay: :woohoo: :goodvibes

Glad to hear from you. I hope you have great weather on New Years Day.
fingersx.gif

Isn't this the second (or third) time you are seeing Jersey Boys? It should be fun. :dance3:

Happy Holidays!

HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO EVERYONE HERE!

I hope all the cookies turn out all right for everyone. Happy celebrating! :woohoo:

Question. Going to make the McCormick recipe for spiced cookie cutouts for DD and her friend to make & decorate on Thursday after school. I was going to pre-make the dough, but then I wondered if I can just go ahead pre-make the cut outs with my cookie cutter and then flash freeze them? Anyone tried that? If so, do I bake them frozen or do I let them thaw a little?

Thanks.

Question. Going to make the McCormick recipe for spiced cookie cutouts for DD and her friend to make & decorate on Thursday after school. I was going to pre-make the dough, but then I wondered if I can just go ahead pre-make the cut outs with my cookie cutter and then flash freeze them? Anyone tried that? If so, do I bake them frozen or do I let them thaw a little?

Thanks.

I make a zillion cut outs and there are options. :) One for freezing and a couple if you are not married to the children baking the cookies themselves - the decorating is the fun part, right?! lol

1 - Flash freeze your cookies with parchment in between. The tricky thing about this is if you stack them in the freezer they tend to stick - due to humidity in the freezer - when you try to take them apart. You can let them defrost a wee bit but it is a pain. If you do not stack them in the freezer and/or do not have a problem with them sticking pop the frozen ones directly in the oven. A cold cookie tends not to spread and helps retain the cut out shape. But - this is not my favorite option due to the sticking issue I experience.
2 - Bake and then freeze - with wax paper in between - this works well if you have a long lead time and need them for a longer future date. Make sure you take them out early enough to complete thaw and allow the condensation to evaporate from the thawing cookie. Decorating a thawing or wetter cookie is not fun. They need to be dry.
3 - Bake them and put them in a container or ziploc bag with a half piece of bread or so (depending on volume) - this is good for short term storage as it keeps them on the softer side without getting mushy. And, all you have to do is take one out of the bag and decorate to your hearts content.

For your purposes, since it is such a short time frame from now until Thursday I would do #3. If you cookies are a crispier type omit the bread slice.

I just did a bunch of carrot and easter egg cut outs and their glaze is drying as we speak. These will sit out to dry for a day or so then go into their respective bags which will probably be Monday. They are always good for a week or two bagged up. They do not dry out due to the glaze I use, it keeps them on the softer side with a nice bite.

I hope this helps ~ have fun!

I make a zillion cut outs and there are options. :) One for freezing and a couple if you are not married to the children baking the cookies themselves - the decorating is the fun part, right?! lol

1 - Flash freeze your cookies with parchment in between. The tricky thing about this is if you stack them in the freezer they tend to stick - due to humidity in the freezer - when you try to take them apart. You can let them defrost a wee bit but it is a pain. If you do not stack them in the freezer and/or do not have a problem with them sticking pop the frozen ones directly in the oven. A cold cookie tends not to spread and helps retain the cut out shape. But - this is not my favorite option due to the sticking issue I experience.
2 - Bake and then freeze - with wax paper in between - this works well if you have a long lead time and need them for a longer future date. Make sure you take them out early enough to complete thaw and allow the condensation to evaporate from the thawing cookie. Decorating a thawing or wetter cookie is not fun. They need to be dry.
3 - Bake them and put them in a container or ziploc bag with a half piece of bread or so (depending on volume) - this is good for short term storage as it keeps them on the softer side without getting mushy. And, all you have to do is take one out of the bag and decorate to your hearts content.

For your purposes, since it is such a short time frame from now until Thursday I would do #3. If you cookies are a crispier type omit the bread slice.

I just did a bunch of carrot and easter egg cut outs and their glaze is drying as we speak. These will sit out to dry for a day or so then go into their respective bags which will probably be Monday. They are always good for a week or two bagged up. They do not dry out due to the glaze I use, it keeps them on the softer side with a nice bite.

Thanks for such an in depth answer. :flower3: :thumbsup2

Will you share the glaze recipe you use? :)

i make a zillion cut outs and there are options. :) one for freezing and a couple if you are not married to the children baking the cookies themselves - the decorating is the fun part, right?! Lol

1 - flash freeze your cookies with parchment in between. The tricky thing about this is if you stack them in the freezer they tend to stick - due to humidity in the freezer - when you try to take them apart. You can let them defrost a wee bit but it is a pain. If you do not stack them in the freezer and/or do not have a problem with them sticking pop the frozen ones directly in the oven. A cold cookie tends not to spread and helps retain the cut out shape. But - this is not my favorite option due to the sticking issue i experience.
2 - bake and then freeze - with wax paper in between - this works well if you have a long lead time and need them for a longer future date. Make sure you take them out early enough to complete thaw and allow the condensation to evaporate from the thawing cookie. Decorating a thawing or wetter cookie is not fun. They need to be dry.
3 - bake them and put them in a container or ziploc bag with a half piece of bread or so (depending on volume) - this is good for short term storage as it keeps them on the softer side without getting mushy. And, all you have to do is take one out of the bag and decorate to your hearts content.

For your purposes, since it is such a short time frame from now until thursday i would do #3. If you cookies are a crispier type omit the bread slice.

I just did a bunch of carrot and easter egg cut outs and their glaze is drying as we speak. These will sit out to dry for a day or so then go into their respective bags which will probably be monday. They are always good for a week or two bagged up. They do not dry out due to the glaze i use, it keeps them on the softer side with a nice bite.

thank you so much!!!!!!

Thanks for such an in depth answer. :flower3: :thumbsup2

Will you share the glaze recipe you use? :)

You are going to laugh at me... I don't measure so I am going to give it a guess on the measurements below...

About 3/4 cup of light corn syrup, a bag of powdered sugar (the 2.25lb one), and some hot tap water in my kitchen aid with the paddle attachment. My KA - Big Red - screams a bit in the beginning but as I add water you will hear the paddle going through it smoothly. I think it could be around 3/4 cup give or take of water. :confused3 I also have been known to throw some more corn syrup in there if I want a more translucent look.

I say some hot water is because it all depends on humidity and how thick you want it. If you want it thicker add less water if you want it runnier add more water. It's all about how it reacts in the bowl when I stick a spoon in it and how it falls onto itself....

Clear as mud right?

I use this because it gets hard enough to stack and isn't as HARD as royal icing as it doesn't have egg whites in it. Also, you can add flavorings to it as you see fit. Some clear vanilla or oil extracts. I use Lorann myself - love their cheesecake flavoring...yum!

Let's see if I can add a pic... here are some I did for a school breakfast.
Some royal was used for edging and accents, my glaze for the most part. I kinda liked the way they look and the fact that they won't break your teeth when you eat them. I *heart* glaze. lol

I hope this helps everyone - I love doing cookies. :love:
baconandeggs.jpg

I also just realized that I forget to hold the shift when typing i for I.... LOL
Going too fast I guess. ;)

Tweevil, I love the eggs! :thumbsup2

Thanks for the glaze recipe. I like that it is softer than royal icing. Royal icing is great for gluing gingerbread houses together. But, I swear, it was invented in collaboration with dentists, so people would have to get their teeth fixed after breaking them on the icing. :headache:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!