Convince me Mickey's Backyard BBQ is a good idea!

Goldilocks07

A rockin' mom and her sweet princess
We are going NEXT Saturday, with my husband and 3.5 year old daughter (who loves any sort of show/entertainment/etc). The reviews are just SO ALL OVER the place. Yeah, I know the food isn't going to be great- but I mean, is it going to be awful?

We love the Spirit of Aloha show (doing that the first night) and thought that the Hoopty Do Review might be a little too much dialogue for our DD to follow.

Please tell me I will enjoy Mickey's Backyard BBQ? Any tips/hints? I heard the transportation can be hairy, so I'm anticipating that already. We're staying at BLT so hopefully it won't be so bad.

EEK!!!

Transportation is a breeze from BLT, just hop on the boat to FW and you are right there. Go a little early and see the horses in the barn or your little one can go on a pony ride $5. There is also a great playground right by the boat docks. I've not been to the BBQ we always just eat at trails end. Like you I've heard good and bad reviews. But with a little one it's all about the characters. Just make sure to bring a fan I've heard it can get super hot. It is outside, there are a few ceiling fans in the pavilion, but it can get steamy in September. Hope you have a great time!

As mentioned by the PP, transpo to the BBQ couldn't be easier. Take the boat and just follow the signs.

As for whether or not you will enjoy it - well, its outside in Sept, so it will be hot and humid. The food is buffet style cookout food, so draw your own conclusions. BUT if your child will get a kick out of the character interactions and dancing to the music, it MAY be worth it. Totally depends on how willing the parents are at self sacrificing for the sake of their offspring.

Personally, give me HDDR any day.

Transportation is a breeze from BLT, just hop on the boat to FW and you are right there. Go a little early and see the horses in the barn or your little one can go on a pony ride $5. There is also a great playground right by the boat docks. I've not been to the BBQ we always just eat at trails end. Like you I've heard good and bad reviews. But with a little one it's all about the characters. Just make sure to bring a fan I've heard it can get super hot. It is outside, there are a few ceiling fans in the pavilion, but it can get steamy in September. Hope you have a great time!

This is a GREAT tip. I thought I knew everything (well, relatively- lol) but I had no idea there are HORSES. My daughter loves to ride! So we will definitely do this. Thank you!

As mentioned by the PP, transpo to the BBQ couldn't be easier. Take the boat and just follow the signs.

As for whether or not you will enjoy it - well, its outside in Sept, so it will be hot and humid. The food is buffet style cookout food, so draw your own conclusions. BUT if your child will get a kick out of the character interactions and dancing to the music, it MAY be worth it. Totally depends on how willing the parents are at self sacrificing for the sake of their offspring.

Personally, give me HDDR any day.

I know. I'm a bit scared of the heat. It's the first time we're going in September. EEEEk. Whatever. I'll deal. Thank goodness for beer and wine, lol. (and deoderant)

That's the thing- she LOVES the character interaction. I mean, love love LOVES it. And the dancing, and the music.

I have a feeling it will be one of those "I'm glad we went but we won't be doing this again" type of things. That's ok. At this point we're doing it for her anyway.

Thank goodness for SOAloha. Whew.

***But gee, should I consider HDDR??

We went there last year on July 4th. The weather was hot, the food was so-so, BUT we had an AWESOME time :) I would do this again for the dancing and character interaction. My 4 year old had a blast.

I'm no help for the back Yard BBQ as we have not done that, but just wanted to comment on the HDDR. My most favorite part of it is watching the little kids there. It is just a fun time. There would be some jokes that would go over her head but she would laugh along with everyone else and love the music. No characters so she might not enjoy it as much as the BBQ but it really is fun for kids too.

I just did this 2 weeks ago with family who were visiting. It was hot yes but that's FL. If you like Trails End's food, you'll like the food there.
Your child is the perfect age for this event. My nephew had a great time but was a little old compared to the other kids there. My SIL and DH had a great time.
It's loud, crowded and corny but the entertainment was great. I have been to many character meals and I thought the interaction was great. Just be prepared to take the initiative with the interaction. The characters will not come to you. You must go to them but they will interact very well with you and your family.
If you are going for a fine dining experience, well, can't say you will get that but it will be good. This is all about entertainment and character interaction.
Since this starts at 6:30 it cools down pretty fast but it will be hot.

This is a GREAT tip. I thought I knew everything (well, relatively- lol) but I had no idea there are HORSES. My daughter loves to ride! So we will definitely do this. Thank you!
Oh my gosh! She will love it! The horse barn (Tri Circle D) is right next to where the BBQ is...it is where all the Disney horses live. They are beautiful to see. The pony rides are right there also...and Cinderella's miniature white ponies that pull her carriage in the Christmas parade:)

Oh my gosh! She will love it! The horse barn (Tri Circle D) is right next to where the BBQ is...it is where all the Disney horses live. They are beautiful to see. The pony rides are right there also...and Cinderella's miniature white ponies that pull her carriage in the Christmas parade:)

Okkkk!!!!!
Starting to get excited again!
I will bring deodorant! Fans! Drink lots of beer! LOL!

We will sweat but will be happy doing it!

Food will be (how do I say nicely...um...craptastic!) awesome!

Our daughter will love it. I already picked out her outfit of a horse skirt from Carter's and matching outfit. She's going to have a blast, and let's be honest- that makes up 75% of our fun. We'll suffer through the rest- heat, eh food, heat....

Looking forward to doing something different- thank you all so much for making me feel better about our dining choice.

Yee hawwwww!!!!

I have two friends there now with children the same age as your daughter and they said the Backyard BBQ was their favorite part of the whole trip!

We ended up having SO much fun. It was the highlight of our trip. The food was actually really good- I would just stay away from the hamburgers aka well-done flying meat saucers- but everything else was super fresh and delicious! Our daughter danced her pants off and to this DAY, she still talks about that one experience. MBYBBQ is now on our list of 'must dos' when we go to WDW.
Thank you thank you everyone for convincing me to go!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter