Converting the Disney Skeptics - January 2013 trip report

great report so far can't wait to hear more....

Thank you! I've been stalling because I want to get together with Ballet Girl and tale some pictures of the drawings they did that she's stashed somewhere, and I keep forgetting to do it when she's around. That kid is never home! Ballet and classes weekdays and Saturday, and then play practice on Sunday. :sad2:

Ahhh they sound like so much fun!

:wave2:

Thanks for popping in! The characters really were fun. But we also tried to think of things to aid interaction -- I told Ballet Girl to curtsey to all the Princesses (they curtsey at the end of ballet performances, and she's been doing those for years, so she's got that down to a science), and also suggested she request a ballet pose if she can't think of anything else to say. And of course timing our Phineas and Ferb visit when things were so slow helped a lot; Ballet Girl didn't want to see a lot of the most popular characters or a lot of the big rides, so, except for Merida, it was pretty easy to schedule her when there wouldn't be much of a crowd.

I scheduled using suggestions from Josh of easywdw and/or the schedules on KennythePirate, and it seemed to work out pretty well. :)

While the Hermit and I were wandering around, Geek Dad and the three youngest went to get Fastpasses for Toy Story Mania for Ballet Girl and SeaWorld Son, who promptly changed those passes for ones Geek Dad and Warrior Girl had gotten earlier (which were too close to Jedi for Geek Dad), and zipped through the Walt Disney museum, which they enjoyed. Hubby most liked the diorama for New Fantasyland:

IMG_3975.JPG

And they hit the Animation Academy, where they got to draw Flynn Rider (for which I am thankful, because Warrior Girl would have gotten fussed and refused to participate if it was most any of the classic characters).

Ballet Girl's drawing:

DSCN7148.JPG

And Geek dad's version:

DSCN7142.JPG

Then the girls got pictures with Wreck It Ralph and Vanelope. Vanelope suggested they pretend to be driving:

IMG_3984.JPG

They rode Star Tours, then Geek Dad and Warrior Girl went to get ready for the Jedi Training while Ballet Girl and SeaWorld Son did Toy Story Mania again.

The Hermit and I sat in the Backlot express while I finished my cookie, then I joined hubby in front of the stage. Ballet Girl hurried up, and hubby handed her one camera so she could take stills while he took video -- pulling her in front of me and then standing beside her, meaning a fair percentage of all my pics include his back. :rolleyes: But they had the better cameras, plus mine started acting up right as Warrior Girl went up to fight Darth Vader, and I finally had to turn it off to get it to behave again, so it was just as well.

The Jedi Training Academy guy was great, very on top of it. One of the younger ones did not get how to work his sword and the CM coped beautifully with him, helping him while integrating it into his patter.

IMG_3997.JPG

Warrior Girl thinking,Those fools trusted me with a light saber?

IMG_3994.JPG

Ducking. That kid next to Warrior Girl is looking to get his head lopped off!

IMG_4004.JPG

Warrior Girl living up to her name.

IMG_2940.JPG

After the Training Academy, we split up again. The Hermit and I wandered into Backlot Express, but they didn't have anything I wanted badly enough to wait in line, so after taking a few pics we wandered right back out again! I'd kind of planned on doing the Epcot resorts, but the Hermit thought going home sounded better and I wasn't opposed. I'd planned on afternoon breaks anyhow, because that's when the crowds and heat (her two least favorite things) are at their peak.

On our way back to the condo we hit the flea market right near the resort, because the Tinkerbell-over-London mug I so loved had developed a crack and I couldn't use it anymore, and I was hoping to find the exact same mug again. Didn't think my odds were very good, but the third stall with Disney mugs had a bunch of them! So I was happy. Then we got a gonzo huge slurpee and appreciated bargain prices for a change, heh. So we crashed at the resort for a while while the rest spent the whole day there.

Meanwhile, the rest of the crew was having a good ol’ time. They grabbed a snack at Writer’s Stop, retrieved some sandwiches from the front of the park, where SeaWorld Son insisted on a picture with this truck:

IMG_4084.JPG

Then they sat in the stands, eating their lunch and waiting for Indiana Jones to start:

IMG_4045.JPG

Geek Dad really liked the airplane – when Air & Space did an article on famous movie planes, they used a picture of the one at Hollywood Studios!

http://www.airspacemag.com/history-...20306.html?c=y&page=2&navigation=thumb#IMAGES

But personally, I think it looks unflyable – the propellers are so flat.

IMG_4068.JPG

Geek dad got some nice action shots:

IMG_4047.JPG

IMG_4676.JPG

And some weird ones:

IMG_4680.JPG

Then they rode Star Tours. Ballet Girl's journal is conflicting with her dad's pictures on what they did when, but at some point SeaWorld Son bought an Ewok, and at some other point they took pictures with the non-existent speeder bike:

IMG_4022.JPG

Ballet Girl's journal also doesn't mention the Great Movie Ride, although I know they rode it and she liked it and everyone took pictures there. :confused3 So who knows what they did all afternoon. Eventually they did the last show of Lights, Motors, Action, and then wandered the Streets of America:

IMG_4121.JPG

And ran across the highlight of their day thusfar, namely Frank, Connor and Heather doing a skit where the director tries to get things done and his two helpers are Very Difficult, in the course of which Geek Dad and the kids got to play extras of various sorts:

IMG_4130.JPG

IMG_4131.JPG

IMG_4141.JPG

The Hermit and I returned to the park and did Muppet Vision 3-D. We caught the rest of them in the Streets of America area and, after quickly checking in, wandered on to do the AFI display at the end of the Studio Backlot Tour before it closed. Disney's website claims it's "Villains: Movie Characters You Love to Hate", so I was expecting to see all the stuff I'd been looking forward to in that exhibit -- Darth Vader's costume, Cruella deVille's, Jadis' chariot and costume from The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe -- but it was all lies, LIES, I tell you. :mad:

Instead there's a reproduction of Scarlet O'Hara's curtain dress, a life boat from Titanic, armor from Gladiator, and various things from North by Northwest, Casablanca, The Godfather II and The Sound of Music. *sigh* Great for people who've seen the old exhibit, and actually we thought it was fine, it's just that I would have much preferred the other one because that had a higher percentage of movies I love -- not to mention a higher percentage of movies the Hermit has seen! If I'd known about the change ahead of time we could have caught up on some of them pretty happily; bugs me that the Disney website isn't up to date on that. :sad2:

Then we got back together with the troops for a bit, seems like, but split up again because the Hermit and I decided we'd rather do "One Man's Dream" than go to Fantasmic. For some reason I didn't take many pictures after we got back, but I did get some of these adorable Figaro figures:

DSCN5050.JPG

We had a bit of time before we needed to meet the troops, so we stopped into the ABC Commissary. I know it gets dreadful reviews when it comes to sandwiches, but I'd heard it was fine for desserts, which seems to be the case. We split a chocolate mousse and a strawberry parfait, and although I'd say the mousse was more pudding than mousse, we enjoyed them both. :)

Then we headed out to meet the troops and quickly realized that I'd managed to suggest a designated smoking area for our meeting place. :rolleyes: But we just moved back on their presumed route and waited for them there, which worked out fine.

Turns out we'd missed quite a lot by not going to Fantasmic -- not the show itself, but what happened beforehand. Most of the family had gone to the stadium early, of course (Mr. Cool wandered in earliest and eventually decided not to try to find a seat by the rest), and as it happened Connor was wandering the audience and recognized Geek Dad, Seaworld Son, Ballet Girl and Warrior Girl, quickly counting them off as: “Giant Camera, Ewok, Tourist, Tourist!” :teeth:

They got to talking, he eventually called Frank over and at one point they asked for our real family name. Then when they pre-show started, turns out they were hosting it. After directing some games with the audience (Finish the lyric, outscream the other team, etc.), Connor eventually announced a trivia game, and called Geek Dad and crew down. Mr. Cool was still sitting elsewhere by himself and didn't join in. Our last name is the same as a critter from a science fiction series, so when Connor asked them their last name, a lady sitting by Mr. Cool exclaimed, “Oh, come on! That’s not a real name!” :rotfl2:

Mr. Cool should have told her, "Hey, we had it first, lady." :p Anyhow, Geek Dad and the kids were Team Tangled, they got all their questions right (with hints from Connor on the Tower of Terror one – none of us have even ridden it). So they all got Special Disney Popcorn, which totally Made Their Night. My three youngest were tripping over each other trying to tell me what a terrific time they'd had, and Geek Dad was clearly pleased as well. Even SeaWorld Son was willing to admit that Disney was as much fun (maybe more) as SeaWorld.

I thought Hollywood Studios would be the park that converted Mr. Cool. Far as I can tell, it had no real impact on him. :confused3 But he was the last hold out -- it converted everyone else. :thumbsup2

Kids with their Fantastic Fantasmic Popcorn -- since we never get them all smiling at once, we just keep clicking...

IMG_4170.JPG

IMG_4171.JPG

IMG_4172.JPG

Great Pics! You guys look like you had a great time. Can't wait for more....:happytv:

I always post here and then transfer to the TS4MS (because doing pictures there is a pain otherwise), so how did I manage to post Wednesday to my TS4MS trip report and not here? :confused3 That, or I'm going blind and this is a repost. :rolleyes:

So, to go back a day...

Wednesday we went back and got some more pins for trading at Character Warehouse (Disney's Outlet store at the north end of International Drive). The Phineas and Ferb pins were $3 each and the mystery pins (2 to a bag) $2.50 each, which is more in line with what I'd expected from a Disney outlet store there. SHOPPING TIP -- since the real deals at the Disney outlet stores sell out quickly, don't expect them to be there the next time. OTOH, if there aren't any great deals the first time, try again a few days later and you might luck out!

I can just about always find pins and lanyards at the outlet stores for around $3 each if I check a couple of times over a week. OTOH, I've only found pins for a dollar each the first time we went, and lanyards for a dollar each the second time -- and I know the lanyards were sold out within a day. Going on the pins that show up on E-bay after we've visited, I'm pretty sure there are people who live nearby who check the stores regularly and clean out the best deals to resell. Nice for those who live far enough away they can't go themselves; not so great when you're in town and didn't pick something up you decide you want a few days later!

Then we went out to Coronado Springs, one of the three Disney resorts I hadn't visited yet. Coronado Springs is the only "moderate" Disney resort with a convention center. When you walk into the lobby, you're greeted by a fountain:

IMG_3926.JPG

and there are some nice details in the lobby like this wooden horse:

IMG_3928.JPG

And, if you look up, there's this lovely painted dome:

IMG_3921.JPG

IMG_3925.JPG

And all kinds of molded or carved details, like this guy, which is an alcove just below the dome and so hard for me to make out!:

IMG_3922.JPG

We walked through the lobby and part way around the lake to the pool area. The landscaping is terrific, but I forgot my camera and hubby seems to have been in a detail mood.

IMG_3936.JPG

IMG_3937.JPG

IMG_3939.JPG

Although he did get some good shots of the pyramid by the pool:

IMG_3943.JPG

And of SeaWorld Son clowning around with some statuary:

IMG_3945.JPG

Love the depth of theming at the resorts! :cool2:

I spent the past few hours reading all of your trip reports. Thank you. I am really enjoying this one!
Sue

Nice pictures from Coronado Springs. It is always fun to visit the other resorts. I haven't been to CS at all but it looks pretty!

I am really enjoying this one!
Sue

Thanks! Glad to have you. :goodvibes

I haven't been to CS at all but it looks pretty!

It is, but I'm not sure how enthused I'd be if I was on the other side of the lake from the themed pool. It's a long way 'round! I'd probably walk over there once and ooo and ahhh over it, then only swim at the local quiet pool. :rolleyes: But I am not a slides person, and it has one of the best water slides on property; the kids would be over there a time or two for sure! :)

Friday we went to the Art of Animation Resort and Pop Century. We were in a hurry for some reason; don't remember why, just remember Geek Dad was fussing over the time. Mostly we were there for some tie-dyed cheesecake at Pop, which I am inordinately fond of, but I wanted to get a quick look at the Art of Animation Resort since we were going right next door. I sure thought Geek Dad took some pictures there but were not finding them, so all I have is a couple I took in the Cars area.

I love how they've made tire tracks so it looks like he slid back into position!

DSCN5072.JPG

I also like that they have Burma Shave-style signs:

DSCN5059.JPG

Mater Used It
Dang Near Fainted
Looked Like He
Had Just
Been Painted

And then, instead of BurmaShave it says:

DSCN5064.JPG

They have Disney versions of at least two of the common styles from the original: the Mater Used It jingle is typical of one sales type, while the Sheriff series on the other side is like Burma Shave's safety type. I've always thought Burma Shave was cool -- not just because of the signs, but because the original Burma Shave company even sent a guy to Mars! (Well, a Mars):

http://www.snopes.com/business/market/mars.asp

And of course, like Cars, it's part of the whole "Route 66" Vibe:

burma-shave-21.jpg

(from here: http://ninetoone.wordpress.com/2010/02/15/hello-world/ )

Ironically, there are now BurmaShave ads posted on Route 66 in Arizona -- which is one of the four (I think) states where the original company didn't put any up!

Unfortunately, about all we saw of AoA was a bit of the Cars area and the pool area in the distance. I really liked how deeply themed the Cars stuff was, and like how it feels like a series of little vignettes instead of randomly posed big icons. We didn't get that close, but from what we saw the Nemo pool looks cool. However I'm less enthused about the walls with the art sheets:

DSCN5073.JPG

I dunno why, but for some reason the windows in the desert back ground don't bother me, but the windows in the "animation sheets" do. :confused3 So for me, it's like the AoA is half better themed than the other Values (the vignettes), and half worse themed (the animation sheets). But I guess I'll probably like it once I get used to it.

We hit the gift shop, where I got an AoA Nemo pin but didn't see anything else that tempted me, then headed over to Pop, where I agonized for some time over a bunch of charms, couldn't make up my mind, and bought nothing. :rolleyes: And then we got some tie-dyed cheesecake. :cloud9:

The thing with tie-dyed cheesecake is, at home, when I make red velvet cake or much of anything else with coloring, I skip the coloring. I can't always taste colorants, but I have often enough I avoid them. And tie-dyed cheesecake is ALL colorants; it's red velvet cake with neon-dyed cheesecake on top:

DSC04455.jpg

(from the Resort Thread for Pop)

^ That's what it usually looks like, except in a clamshell container, but on searching for a picture (we didn't take any), I ran across this:

pop10.jpg

(from this thread: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1216698)

Now I want one with *that* kind of presentation! :cool2:

Anyhow, that's one recipe I will never even bother trying to make at home, because I am dead certain half the appeal is the atmosphere. ;)

It was a nice day, so we sat outside and had a peaceful moment with our cheesecake and just absorbing the ambiance. :) And that was about as exciting as Friday got. :upsidedow

I'm glad to be able to join in with your TR! Your pictures are great. It looks from the photos that you all had a good time and were enjoying yourselves, so I'm glad to see that it seems like your kids finally came around to the magic of Disney! And did I miss what you did on Thursday?? Anyhow, looks like a great trip :)

And did I miss what you did on Thursday??

Welcome! :wave2:

I somehow managed to post out of order -- I finished the Wednesday post where and when it belonged and then didn't post it. :confused3 Fortunately I'd saved it, so not such a big deal I guess. Anyhow, Wednesday we went to CBR, Thursday Hollywood Studios, and Friday Art of Animation and Pop. :) Guess I can get it right in the index, but that, of course, would require going back and doing the index...

So we pulled up to get our parking pass for the AK bright and early, and were promptly awarded with a Magical Moment card for "Dream Parking." :cool1: The CM told us to follow the blue(?) line which led us past everyone else. I took a picture as soon as I got out -- only way we could have been closer to the gate would be to park on the grass. ;)

DSCN5081.JPG

The kids were more excited about this before their dad lined them up facing into the sun for a series of pictures. ;) I moved him over a bit and they perked up again.

DSCN5088.JPG

So we headed in, snapping pictures all the way.

DSCN5099.JPG

I wish the Beastly Kingdom was still in the plans. And that there was a dragon ride in it. Although why Disney choose giant bats for the dragon's enemies is beyond me -- wouldn't another mythical being be better, like a manticore or gryphon? Either one have a hard time taking on a dragon by themself and, like the bats, need the riders for help. Or they could have gone for tigers, who are traditionally the enemies of dragons in Chinese mythology. Or the fairies or sirens that Spanish dragons used to kidnap and hold prisoner. Nope. Giant bats. :confused3

Maybe I'm not so sad Beastly Kingdom never came to be after all. ;)

DSCN5103.JPG

I wonder if Fantasia Gardens mini-golf shares anything but the name with the Beastly Kingdom ride they'd planned. :scratchin My guess is that, since the original Fantasia Gardens was going to be a flume ride, they decided they were never going to do it once they put in Kali Rive Rapids, so maybe there was some shared concept art or something.

If you scan down this page past the EE and Dinosaur stuff, there's some of the Beastly Kingdom concept art:

http://disneyandmore.blogspot.com/2009/02/disneys-animal-kingdom-original-artwork_25.html

Mazes are cool. :)

I'd promised Warrior Girl we'd do the Maharajah Jungle Trek first, which doesn't open until a half hour after the rest of the park, so the Hermit, Warrior Girl and I dawdled through the Oasis.

Everyone else headed straight for Kilimanjaro Safari. Geek Dad bought himself a new camera the month before; combine "unfamiliar camera" with "gloomy day" and "jouncy ride," and I didn't expect much, but he got a couple of shots I liked.

I dunno what this is, but it looks contented:

IMG_4189.JPG

This rhino who held them up a bit, then wandered off:

IMG_4199.JPG

And he got a couple kinda blurry ones of the male lion:

IMG_4202.JPG

IMG_4203.JPG

Then they did the Pangani Forest Trail, which is where I expect he took this picture of a hungry okapi:

IMG_4212.JPG

I've always been fond of okapi. Their coloring is cool, and they were considered mythical beasts in Europe and the Americas until someone brought back proof of their existence in 1901. Before that, it was "the African unicorn." ;) It's still called "the ghost of the forest." :cool2: So I don't know why it is, when people ask, "Which savannah at the AKL has the best view?", that so many people say, "avoid the Pembe, it doesn't have any giraffe, just okapi." I even saw one person call okapi the "poor man's giraffe." :sad2:

The Pembe is the smallest savannah, which I will bet is why it's not a favorite, I dunno why the okapi gets the blame. :upsidedow

/rant :blush:

Geek dad got a couple of clear pics of the gorilla's tush, and took many, many blurry ones of his face:

IMG_4252.JPG

And he liked this bird's plumage:

IMG_4266.JPG

:)

Meanwhile, the Hermit, Warrior Girl and I were dawdling along, talking to the occasional CM and looking at lots of birds.

DSCN5112.JPG

And waterfalls:

DSCN5117.JPG

And random architectural details:

DSCN5131.JPG

And blurs in the distance that might possible be animals:

DSCN5158.JPG

DSCN5158.JPG

Pretty sure they're Reeve's muntjac, but you couldn't prove it by my pictures. :rolleyes:

DSCN5149.JPG

How about a bird and a waterfall as an apology for that last shot? :upsidedow

DSCN5165.JPG

We stopped at the Anandapur Tea Cart. The Hermit got some Roobios, which she thought was bland; I got some Chai which I thought was good.

It was starting to look like Tiger Country.

DSCN5215.JPG

Or maybe dragon country. Nope, with those rounded ears, I'm calling it a tiger. Or a dragon-tiger.

DSCN5232.JPG

Warrior Girl talked to the CM about the komodo dragons for a while. Venomous saliva? Warrior Girl's a fan.

DSCN5243.JPG

She also liked the bats:

DSCN5263.JPG

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter