contemporary hotel arcade leaving

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by slg4crzn, Oct 4, 2006.

1. slg4crzn

slg4crzn Mouseketeer

On a recent trip to Disney World I was discussing with employees about all the renovations going on and was told that rumors are the arcade will be moved to the concourse area and will not have many games. For all those that enjoy the arcade like we do I ask them to write to the hotel and express your concerns. Rumor is that they want a 5 Star restaurant to replace the arcade and eating area. The arcade is one of the reasons we pick that hotel. Wasn't Walt all about family and fun not going to a fancy place to eat for adults????

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Reosrt.

to hide this advert.
  3. spiceycat

spiceycat dvc-blt,vwl,bwv

yes families made WDW.

but I think WDW is trying to change the Cont into a convention hotel.

in this case I think they are missing the boat. business workers don't take their families on conventions mostly. but they aren't generally at WDW - I think more families will be coming than WDW has planned on at this point.

4. Lynne M

Lynne M Moderator Moderator

Yep, Walt was all about families and fun, but for some families (like mine), it'd be much more fun to eat at a nice restaurant than to play arcade games. Nothing against your point of view at all, but everyone has different tastes. :)

5. WI_DisneyFan

WI_DisneyFan DIS Veteran

Seriously? A 5-star restaurant? Everything I've heard up until now is that the Concourse Steakhouse will be moving down there. While I'm a huge fan of the Concourse Steakhouse, I certainly wouldn't consider it "5-Star" quality. I'm not saying you are fibbing to us, but it surprises me that the CM would tell you this.

6. WI_DisneyFan

WI_DisneyFan DIS Veteran

One more quick thought on this. Isn't this what the California Grill is for? That is the CR's "upscale" restaurant, and the Concourse Steakhouse is its more moderate restaurant. I'm not sure if they would want more than one upscale restaurant at the CR. Of course, I could be completely wrong on this, too, since I'm not "in the know".

7. susanc

susanc Mouseketeer

When I used to go to the Contemp Arcade when I was young (70's, 80's, etc) I remember the arcade being huge! It was so much fun (wasnt there even a shooting arcade in there?). It seemed much smaller when I went 1.5 yrs ago, just not the same anymore. In anycase, I think they should make it bigger again as opposed to getting rid of it. But I also think they should bring back the penny arcade to main street, lol.

8. monorailsilver

monorailsilver DIS Veteran

I thought the arcade was bigger too years ago & then later on in the late 80's early 90's it looked so much smaller.

9. Daryl

Daryl DIS Veteran

Maybe this is part of a plan to slightly shift the profile of the entire resort. After all, the GF has 2 upscale restaurants and one 5 star, so if you consider the other CR upgrades; remodeled rooms, flat screen TVs, the rumor may be on target ;)

10. becky1960

becky1960 DIS Veteran

There was a post not to long ago about all of this, CR north wing is being torn down for a DVC wing and there are major changes going on including arcade and a new resturant. There were also some artist sketches posted somewhere.

11. CR Resort Fan 4 Life

CR Resort Fan 4 Life DIS Veteran

When I was at the Contemporary in August a Cast Member told me the arcade is moving to the Fantasia store, which means Bay View Gifts will now be selling all the merchandise. I also think from pictures I saw they plan to see some items on the 4th floor, not 100% sure about. Was going by pictures of artist renderings they had up. Anyway I just thought that everyone should that the new arcade will not be beside Chef Mickey's or the Concourse Steakhouse.

12. ReallyFunMom

ReallyFunMom DIS Veteran

That would be a shame! We were there this weekend before and after dinner at the CG. Kids loved it and I thought it was reasonably priced. We even have APs to DQ but the kids kept asking to go back to the arcade where they could earn tickets. I told them they had to wait until the next trip so I'm in big trouble if it changes.

13. CR Resort Fan 4 Life

They are not moving the arcade until the Food & Fun Center closes, at least that's how I assume they will do it. This will happen sometime next year, just not sure when. As for what games they will have? I assume they will make room for the prizes counter & have games with tickets, because I don't see them getting rid of it after having it for so many years.

14. spiceycat

spiceycat dvc-blt,vwl,bwv

WDW changed it mind. Now rumor has it AKL will be first. (maybe because of the dis....) anyway the Cont DVC is on the back burner.

the north wing is surpose to be rehab starting soon.

15. nevertez

nevertez "Where is my Super Suit!"

Yea from August 25-1sep I stayed at the contemporary, not many people were there even during peak hours or inclimate weathers days. I remember when I use to go camping at fort wilderness and take the boat over. The Gaming Center had a shooting arcade with a wizard that turned into a skeleton, It was a scary but a lot of fun. I remember it being a lot bigger too although everything in disney was giagantic when you were 6 years old. Well Fare thee well Arcade!

16. iloverags2

iloverags2 DIS Veteran

I suppose this means they will be taking out the pool tables. :sad1: That totally bums me out as this is something DH and I do on each trip to WDW, no matter where we are staying.

17. CR Resort Fan 4 Life

I don't know if anyone has seen my 2 previous replies to this thread, but I am going to say again the arcade is not going away forever. It's moving into the Fantasia store on the 4th floor. Yes it may not seem like the old arcade & I admit I think where it is now is a great location. However I see that the bulk of the responses are that it's going away forever, when it's just moving to a new location. Plus maybe we should give it a chance to see what games they bring up to the new location, before you start saying how bad it will be next year.

18. Cookie Princess

Cookie Princess DIS Veteran

CR has the biggest arcade on property and I know DH and DS would be bummed if it gets any smaller! They loved it. :thumbsup2

19. mlholster

mlholster DIS Veteran

Does anyone remember the movie theater in the arcade? This would be in the 70's. It was located back by where the air hockey is now. I think thye showed Disney movies, of course. I remember my kids loved it for an afternoon break. I am not happy they might move it, it always seemed HUGE, larger than life, just part of the magic feeling :confused3
    Lynn in IL.

20. vonpluto

vonpluto DIS Veteran

Yup, remember it well. :thumbsup2
    Last flick we saw there was Song of the South in 87-88.
    Last time I looked, it was still there, but no longer used. :sad2:

21. vonpluto

vonpluto DIS Veteran

This is one of the points overlooked in all the Who-Ha about what going to happen at the CR. :listen:

Even if the new arcade takes over the entire Fantasia/Sundrie area, it will still be less than half the size of the F&FC. :furious:

Bad idea. :sad2:

popcorn::