Consumer Reports on DVC

JimC

DVC Co-Moderator
Just noticed that my March issue of Consumer Reports has a piece on timeshares. One of the article's insets dealt with "is a timeshare a good vacation value". It used the Poly DVC for its analysis. Their conclusion - the tipping point comes at year 8 and break even at year 13. Their analysis assumed that the purchase was financed and used data from Disney and PwC (PricewaterhouseCoopers).

Yeah, I read it. As you stated, their assumptions included purchasing at full price from Disney, as well as financing at 8%. They didn't do the analysis on an average resale.

The article is linked over on *******.com

Yeah, I read it. As you stated, their assumptions included purchasing at full price from Disney, as well as financing at 8%. They didn't do the analysis on an average resale.

The article is linked over on *******.com

https://*******.com/consumer-reports-on-whether-a-timeshare-is-a-good-value/

http://i235.************************************************************* DVC Mike - *******.com

The article didn't take into account savings from renting DVC points or Disney's frequent discounts.

They used Disney's least expensive time of the year, which is when Disney typically offers its best discounts. Thus, using rack rates is deceptive.

They don't use Disney's interest rates, which are higher than the 8% they mentioned. Let's face it, the majority of PVB buyers are doing it while they are at WDW and are not shopping around for financing.

Finally, they admit they used a "conservative" 2% Maintenance Fee increase, ignoring Disney's historical average of 3.4%.

Factor these in and the breakeven moves to well past 20 years.

On the plus side, WDW DVCs have held their resale value really well compared to other timeshares. With inflation, a PVB member might be able to recover most, if not all, of their original purchase price if they sell in a decade or two, making most DVC purchases a good long-term value for those who regularly visit WDW.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter