Construction Walls Go Up in Animal Kingdom's Africa

Rumors Rocks

Mouseketeer
http://wdwnt.com/joe-hogartys-4213-animal-kingdom-photo-report/

Photo Report: Construction begins in Animal Kingdom's Africa section - on what is believed to be a bridge that will connect to the brand new Festival of the Lion King Theater. Click link for more details.

039-L.jpg

155-L.jpg

This more exciting news. I finally hope this means there will also be a start on Avatarland construction I'm sick of them pushing this back farther and farther.

This more exciting news. I finally hope this means there will also be a start on Avatarland construction I'm sick of them pushing this back farther and farther.

I'm the opposite, I wish it never came to be. They could have picked something better than Avatar to model a world after. But I'm all for a new section of the park that will allow me to get more EE ride time with a lower waiting time:laughing:.

I'm the opposite, I wish it never came to be. They could have picked something better than Avatar to model a world after. But I'm all for a new section of the park that will allow me to get more EE ride time with a lower waiting time:laughing:.

i often wish for many things at WDW...but i don't think "extra Everest time" is ever one of them.

It's just a so-so rollercoaster for the middle stomach market.

I've often wished that they pick up Montu and truck it up I-4 from Tampa...any chance of that happening?

How about Kraken? that's closer...save on gas:teacher:

Avatarland wouldn't have been my first choice but I just want something new to do in AK I would've much rather had beastly kingdom or something but the fact is something new I needed and its coming so thats what's exciting to me.

Avatarland wouldn't have been my first choice but I just want something new to do in AK I would've much rather had beastly kingdom or something but the fact is something new I needed and its coming so thats what's exciting to me.

I think this will be the most popular sentiment as this thing is built...

"rather have something else...but at least they adding to that (supremely neglected, improperly built, overpriced) park"

Should Disney view this as a "failure to launch" on such an expensive project?

i'm just sayin'

Just a theory Pete...

The traffic flow in "harambe" is already bad...I would think a second "offshoot" bridge to avoid the square makes sense

Why am I not surprised this turned into a "Trash Pandora" thread. I'm gonna say it for the 500th out of 1000 times - if the ride/attraction is well made/entertaining, who gives a s**t what the theme is? Avatarland vs Lord of the Rings vs Beastly Kingdom could be practically the same ride. Forget its Avatar and judge it on its own when it opens.

OK - on to the actual topic.

They put a wall up along one side of the bridge. What does this have to do with the new Festival of the Lion King location. Are they building a spur bridge off the existing bridge to get there? Are they WIDENING the bridge? I just assumed you would cross into Africa to get to the new venue. :confused3 I don't get it.

This great job

1) The walls and fences were started five weeks ago.
2) The new Lion King show goes basically behind Tusker House.

1) The walls and fences were started five weeks ago.
2) The new Lion King show goes basically behind Tusker House.

Well, and that's why I was asking. Why wall off the bridge if the show will be behind Tusker House. A second bridge right next to the first bridge seems like it would be aesthetically unpleasant.

Just a theory Pete...

The traffic flow in "harambe" is already bad...I would think a second "offshoot" bridge to avoid the square makes sense

Agree the bridge is overcrowded as is Harambe in general.

Is the Festival of the Lion King show still running or did they close it in January like the previous rumors were hinting at?

I agree and have been saying this forever. The Avatar theme is ripe for beautiful imagination and theming, which is a huge plus. But the attractions WILL stand on their own regardless of the vehicle and this is the point detractors need to get over (i.e. Hold disney to a quality standard, not a brand standard). Quality is what counts, not your personal likes or dislikes.:lovestruc
~Awww -- I just *love* this post! :lovestruc I want to frame this one, too! Wow, it's been a while, but you can be really sweet & thoughtful, when you want to be. Mr. Pirate, you've just found your way, back in my good graces! Too bad, it won't last long -- you'll just find another way to ruin it -- as a pirate should! pirate:

Is the Festival of the Lion King show still running or did they close it in January like the previous rumors were hinting at?

LynneIL -

They did NOT close it. The current plan seems to be to build the new facility in the Harambe / Tusker House area. At some point, they will have to close the old location and move the equipment to the new location.

The rest that I write below is just guessing, no "rumors" behind it.

My guess is they will try and re-use as much of the existing facilty as possible, not just the floats and staging. I expect them to take over the lighting rigs as well as possibly the seat structure, though that might not be worth the effort.

My expectation would be they will take the show dark for 1-3 months, again depending on how much stuff they actually intend to move over. This will likely occur either in the fall of this year (Sept-Nov) if they build quickly, or January-March 2014 if it is slower.

Disney is very bad about announcing these things in advance. It is likely that there will be less than a months notice when FotLK goes dark.

exactly. Avatarland is a horrible idea, not to mention it was a crappy movie. I don't think anyone got "Avatar Fever" because of the film.

exactly. Avatarland is a horrible idea, not to mention it was a crappy movie. I don't think anyone got "Avatar Fever" because of the film.

The 2.8 billipn and gross and 9 acad. nominations may disagree with you

Two recent films when advertising were comparing themselves to avatar just because you dont like it doesn't mean it wont be incredibly successful but really doesnt matter it comes down to the quality of the land and thats disneys job

Place will be packed when it opens
Guaranteed

I say give it a chance when it opens and then judge

2.8 billipn and gross and 9 acad. nominations may disagree with you

Two recent films when advertising were comparing themselves to avatar just because you dont like it doesn't mean it wont be incredibly successful but really doesnt matter it comes down to the quality of the land and thats disneys job

Place will be packed when it opens
Guaranteed

I say give it a chance when it opens and then judge
Yes, the film did very good, but it hasn't proven any ability to be sustained in the long run. Star Wars, which also has been discussed has had 6 movies with at least 3 more coming. That kind of sustainability is what's needed to justify the expenditures required to build a complete land! :thumbsup2

I'm excited they are starting construction.

I know some people don't like the idea but what is the big deal? I've never seen the movie - it did not interest me at the time. BUT I don't plan on watching the movie in the park or on the rides. If it is nicely themed and a fun ride, I won't care what movie it is. My kids do not know all the movies behinds all of the rides, and some rides are not about a movie at all! I still like them, don't you?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter