Construction outside Magic Kingdom - bus area

Discussion in 'Disney Rumors and News' started by Mitzicat, Aug 3, 2013.

1. Mitzicat

Mitzicat DIS Veteran

does anyone know what exactly is going on? looks like they are building more bus stops. not sure if they are moving things around or just adding more. haven't seen any of the new buses...but could it be for that as well?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. BigAlsGal

BigAlsGal DIS Veteran

I'm really hoping they add bussing between parks. That would be great!!

4. SuperDan523

SuperDan523 Mouseketeer

Last I've heard they were making all bus stops longer to accommodate the longer new busses coming soon.

5. Brian_WDW74

Brian_WDW74 <font color=red>Theme Parks Co-Moderator<br><font Moderator

Yes. They're adding another bus loop to accommodate the new articulated buses. :)

6. the who #3

the who #3 DIS Veteran

i also wish they would add buses going from one park to the other parks. that would be terrific for those who hop, and we do.

i also think the longer buses will help. ;)

7. nuts

nuts Lover of Disney, Family Guy, and all around good p

Ummm they already do that.

8. bdklein

bdklein DIS Veteran

From the MK?

9. SuperDan523

SuperDan523 Mouseketeer

They do but they don't. I think the PP is requesting park to park busses at the bus loops on the MK side of the lagoon, and last I was there the park to park busses only stopped at the TTC where one would need to take a boat or monorail to the MK. Direct bus service to the MK is a resort perk, and they don't seem to have included the hopping busses in that since the hopping busses don't service a resort.

10. jennyerin

jennyerin Mouseketeer

I guess they found a way tl make the Pop bus stop further away ::)

11. kim929

kim929 DIS Veteran

:rotfl2:
    At the end of the night, you feel your never going to get to Pops bus stop

12. doconeill

doconeill Fastpass Jedi Master DIS Lifetime Sponsor

The plan, as I know it (and it may not be 100% correct, or it could have changed), is the third bus loop will take on the POP and AoA resort stops with the new articulated buses, which are 50% longer than the existing buses.

In addition, the MK park-to-park buses will be moved to the new loop from the TTC.

I'm not aware of articulated buses being used at any other resorts at this time, but I did notice that the stops at SSR appear as if they are long enough to handle them.

13. beer dave

beer dave Master of the obvious

We just returned from a stay at BLT, and my first comment when seeing the construction was " wow that is far away from the park"

14. doconeill

Yet it's closer than the TTC...or the Contemporary, and people walk that perfectly fine.

Wasn't much else they could do.

15. beer dave

beer dave Master of the obvious

Yeah, but a long walk to your resort is not the same as a long walk to a wait for a bus to your resort, IMO.

Agreed there was no other choice. maybe they will have a shuttle. lol

16. doconeill

I actually don't think the distance really is all that much greater. Probably only 150-200 feet. If they move the POP buses to the close end as well, it will probably be a shorter walk than it is now. :) Then put the P2P buses at the far end, and everything could actually closer by comparison...

17. DenLo

DenLo DIS Veteran

We were told in June that the remodel of bus area was for the articulated buses the value resorts were getting. Supposedly only the values will get the new buses. The reason the lot is so large is a turn around area is being added for those oversized buses. They need lots of room to turn around.

18. doconeill

Actually, that's a common misconception. Articulated buses generally have the same turning radius as non-articulated buses, because they are articulated. If they didn't, they wouldn't get around city streets that they commonly run on.

However, they need a berthing area 50% bigger. They'd have to consolidate several bus areas in the existing area to make room for them, and they really need all they currently have as it is. So they are building a new loop with stops specifically for the longer buses, plus a few more to move the AK and DHS buses from the TTC.