Construction of "Star Wars" land to begin in 2016

Would the assumptions of Toy Story First be wrong if this is the case? I just can not see Disney opening Avatar, Toy Story, Star Wars, Rivers of Light, New Soarin', Frozen, all within a 2 and a half year period. People normally don't come every year would make special trips just for each one. If you open Star Wars that soon, you have people considering going for Pandora decided to wait a year and half for Star Wars.

Disney is not going to open Star Wars that fast just to create good will with the customers.

There's no way to know for sure...but I don't think management would be focusing on the "once every three year " demographic...

While size able...I'm not sure that's where the gravy is made

There's no way to know for sure...but I don't think management would be focusing on the "once every three year " demographic...

While size able...I'm not sure that's where the gravy is made

I can see your point. At the same time, it feels like they don't want to focus on AP holders either. So who are they focusing on? The people who come every year? Aren't those people going to come every year anyway? It seems the easiest crowd to manipulate is the one whose trips are spread out and go at different times of years.

Has anyone else heard that Disney are aiming a late 2018 to open Star Wars land? That sounds rather quick

The 2018 date started floating around recently because Disney filed a construction permit for DHS which had a completion date for October 2018. The problem is that this permit is NOT specifically for Star Wars land, but is for some storm water management infrastructure work. Some web sites are falsely reporting this as the date that Star Wars land will be complete, but that conclusion cannot be safely drawn from this permit.

Has anyone else heard that Disney are aiming a late 2018 to open Star Wars land? That sounds rather quick
That is what people are saying due to the one permit that surfaced recently. I really doubt we see it open in late 2018 tho. I'd expect 2019 at the earliest.

Would the assumptions of Toy Story First be wrong if this is the case? I just can not see Disney opening Avatar, Toy Story, Star Wars, Rivers of Light, New Soarin', Frozen, all within a 2 and a half year period. People normally don't come every year would make special trips just for each one. If you open Star Wars that soon, you have people considering going for Pandora decided to wait a year and half for Star Wars.

Disney is not going to open Star Wars that fast just to create good will with the customers.
Toy story is still assumed to open first.

The 2018 date started floating around recently because Disney filed a construction permit for DHS which had a completion date for October 2018. The problem is that this permit is NOT specifically for Star Wars land, but is for some storm water management infrastructure work. Some web sites are falsely reporting this as the date that Star Wars land will be complete, but that conclusion cannot be safely drawn from this permit.
Yes exactly it's really disappointing that people are just running with this as the opening date when there is no evidence that it is. One permit doesn't predict an opening date. Avatar permits for example expire October 2016.

Yes exactly it's really disappointing that people are just running with this as the opening date when there is no evidence that it is. One permit doesn't predict an opening date. Avatar permits for example expire October 2016.

And this is even worse, at least the Avatar permits were actually for the construction of Avatar.

And this is even worse, at least the Avatar permits were actually for the construction of Avatar.

The common thought on the magic boards from some that are a bit 'in the know' so to speak is that there is a movement to change the project timelines for Star Wars and Toy Story Land for DHS. They were saying that instead of the initial plans they are now pushing for Toy Story Land to open late 2017/early 2018 and for Star Wars to open later in 2019. I know that several have posted that (1023 and mansion butler being 2 of them). Martin has hinted at that also. Apparently WDW management does not want a 5-6 year construction plan the way that NFL was handled.

This is what I'm always talking about...bad consumership.

Fans creating "new developments" based on somekind of outdated/no longer applicable nostalgia on how they THINK Disney is run...

...and Disney laughing as they increase the prices and reap more rewards.

The common thought on the magic boards from some that are a bit 'in the know' so to speak is that there is a movement to change the project timelines for Star Wars and Toy Story Land for DHS. They were saying that instead of the initial plans they are now pushing for Toy Story Land to open late 2017/early 2018 and for Star Wars to open later in 2019. I know that several have posted that (1023 and mansion butler being 2 of them). Martin has hinted at that also. Apparently WDW management does not want a 5-6 year construction plan the way that NFL was handled.

I am actually not debating whether it WILL open in 2018 (I think this is possible), just that this permit can't be used as proof.

Here's a dumb but 100% important question:

What on earth does the desires of "wdw management" have to do with anything?

There are...no joke...maybe 3 managers that have a say...
...they're all in Burbank. The rest "March".

Just quoting from some people on another site that may or may not know a bit more than others.

Just quoting from some people on another site that may or may not know a bit more than others.

Oh I gotcha...

It's just one of the things I caution fans about...
Nobody in Florida has really any say how a billion+ project goes unless they are planted there specifically from the dwarve building.

Al Weiss...long celebrated "president of wdw" was there primarily because he was a local...I think a ucf grad...

A puppet...a "smile and waive" guy. And he was technically the "#1 guy" in Orlando for 15 years.

Oh I gotcha...

It's just one of the things I caution fans about...
Nobody in Florida has really any say how a billion+ project goes unless they are planted there specifically from the dwarve building.

Al Weiss...long celebrated "president of wdw" was there primarily because he was a local...I think a ucf grad...

A puppet...a "smile and waive" guy. And he was technically the "#1 guy" in Orlando for 15 years.

No problem. I actually have been posting on wdwmagic for years. I listen to the dis unplugged regularly as I find Pete and his crew quite humorous. I recently saw that @rteetz actively posts over here also so I started looking around a bit.

I'll never post stuff from other people that I don't feel has a bit more 'meat' behind it. Oh, and your sentiments regarding Al are definitely mirrored by some over on the magic boards.:D

Phil Holmes, the current president of DHS has been with Disney since the opening of MK, it's possible he has the political influence to have input into the timeline.

Phil Holmes, the current president of DHS has been with Disney since the opening of MK, it's possible he has the political influence to have input into the timeline.

Possibly...but what "input" would offset the generally accepted unofficial/official policy of diluting the timelines to stretch expenses out over time?

Does anybody dispute this anymore? I can't see how at this juncture...

And he may have been smoking parliaments outside the chapeau on 10/1/71 with Roy E...but you know who wasn't?

Bob Iger, Tom staggs, and the widow of Steve jobs (largest stockholder)

I doubt that. Phil oversaw New Fantasyland and that wasn't the fastest project. I think Star Wars and toy story and whatever else happens is being dictated by TWDC.

Possibly...but what "input" would offset the generally accepted unofficial/official policy of diluting the timelines to stretch expenses out over time?

Does anybody dispute this anymore? I can't see how at this juncture...

And he may have been smoking parliaments outside the chapeau on 10/1/71 with Roy E...but you know who wasn't?

Bob Iger, Tom staggs, and the widow of Steve jobs (largest stockholder)

The "input" is that the stretching the construction out will hurt the park financially more then it will save.

I doubt that. Phil oversaw New Fantasyland and that wasn't the fastest project. I think Star Wars and toy story and whatever else happens is being dictated by TWDC.

I personally believe that if the Mine Ride had been in the original plan, then the entire thing could have been done in less then 3 years which is how long SWL will take if started early 2016 and finishes later 2018. The big difference with Fanstasyland is that it was being built at the edge of a park that had plenty of other attractions. DHS is already light on attractions, and this will likely get worse before it get's better. TSL and SWL will also be at the edges of the park but will likely have more operational impact then Fantasyland did.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter