• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Construction at VWL in December?

pinkgirlmommy

Mouseketeer
Can someone tell me about the construction at VWL and how it will be in late December? We just joined and will be taking our first DVC trip the week before Christmas. I need to book today, and this is one of my options that I am strongly considering. (Yes, I have checked availability). I have always heard it is really great at Christmas. We have only been to WDW twice, only stayed at CBR, and haven't seen many of the resorts so I want to try them all. I want my hubby and kids to be "awed" by our first DVC trip and another option is AKL, but since it is a busy time and we don't have a lot of resort time or even travel time built in, I was thinking of doing AKL on another trip if we don't have a car. So, I am down to VWL, BWV, SSR, or OKW. There is a thread here that is over 300 posts and I just haven't had a chance to read up, so can someone tell me the run down on the construction at VWL in December? Will we even notice it, and will the pool be closed? Pool time on our first or last day is important weather permitting! Also, the book says the 1 bedroom sleeps up to 4, but the website says up to 5. I am not talking about a child under 3, because that is usually a given, and a lot of the rooms say up to 4, but this one says up to 5?

Last edited:
No one can tell you how it will be in late December.

Permits for work at Wilderness Lodge extend through the entirety of 2017 to 2018. One pool, near the Villas, is currently a dirt pit and has not had significant work done on rebuild yet. There are 25 cabins that are yet to be started (save clear-cutting trees). They are working on what may be a restaurant right now.

What we do know is that there is considerable scope that has had limited work started as yet, and that construction disruption can literally change day to day. Will you notice it? Hard to predict. Will they be "awed?" That's more likely a no, given that we do know as a fact that trees have been clear cut throughout the property, and it has a pretty significant visual impact. If you are in the villas, it is impossible not to notice the pool near the villas being closed/worked on.

I don't think a construction site is a good option for a first trip on DVC.

Last edited:
If you don't have to stay there, don't. Wait until construction is completely finished and give the CM's and landscape a year to recover.

:earsboy: Bill

As I responded on the VWL Groupies thread, yes the 1BR sleeps 4 and the studio sleeps 5 with the fold down bed. And now that you have clarified that you are looking at Christmas 2016, I would say there is no chance that construction will be far enough along for you to enjoy your stay at VWL. I agree with the last two posters that you should look elsewhere.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter