confusing PIN code offer

Katiebell

Seriously *Ahem*
I just spent an hour on the phone with Disney regarding a PIN code offer I received, and I am really confused -- I have no idea if I have saved money or not :confused:

I just reserved my package directly with Disney online on Sunday 10/5, and got the PIN postcard in the mail yesterday. I called the number on the card just to find out if the PIN offer was a better deal than what I had booked. Originally I had

4 nights DL Hotel 12/12-12/15, checking out 12/16
5 day PH passes for 2 adults
Toontown Morning Madness (didn't care about this, have done it before)
pins and lanyards (again, no big deal, we have great lanyards)
Vacation protection (we aren't flying, but it covered cancellation due to sickness, etc, and was 119.90 of our total)
Total w/taxes and everything -- 1691.98 and I had paid 319.90 deposit.

Now I have:
4 nights DL Hotel 12/12-12/15, checking out 12/16
5 day PH passes for 2 adults
no extras
resort fee of approx $13.50/day including tax (not included in total)
Total w/taxes: 1300.40, w/resort fee will be approx 1354.40, paid 240.35 deposit today

They were going to charge me $100 cancellation fee (I'm NOT cancelling, I just wanted to know if this is a better deal) and the 119.90 vacation protection insurance. She spoke to a supervisor, and now they are going to charge me a $100 penalty, and refund 219.90 of the original deposit back to my CC, but it will take 1-2 billing cycles. So....

I am totally confused, did I save anything or not??? :confused3 I THINK I saved
1691.98 - 1354.40 = 337.58 - 100.00 penalty= 237.58? But I lost the vacation protection and the other perks, most of which I didn't care about... :rolleyes:

Any help understanding this?

Looks like you did, as long as they refund you back that money. Although it's late and that kind of left my head swimming. LOL

So you had a package and now you have a room reservation and tickets.

Since you didn't care about the package stuff anyway, you're getting a better deal. Rotten that they charged the $100, though. Sorry about that.

And FWIW the resort fee was included in your package, it was just invisible. It's what gives you internet and parking and such, if you're using those things (if not just forget I said that and figure it goes towards something you WILL use that won't otherwise be charged for).

Oh, and the protection plan was vacation insurance.

Oh wait, you're NOT going to get that back. Once purchased, vacation insurance can't be refunded. Doesn't sound like they told you that. :headache:

Anyway, there is a certain number of days that you have to cancel the room, should you need to do so. Find out that number of days, just in case! And the tickets...they are charging you when you get there, yes? Should you cancel you would probably be able to cancel those too, easily. I would imagine, at least.

Sounds like something similar I went through with my current trip. When the AP7 rate posted I considered how much I'd save going that route. In the end I would have saved about $250 less $100 for cancelling my visa dream package. So in total I'd save $150 but I'd end up with 1 AP that I wouldn't use again within it life span. I would be losing out on the backpack, pin, lanyards, MTTMM passes, parade seating, shows seating, coin and downtown disney discount card. While I don't really thing the value of those extras would total $150, I kept the package just to avoid the hassle of rebooking everything and having to have it refunded to my CC. I guess we'll see in a few days what the "extras" are really worth! ;)

Edit... BTW... The $150 was savings on a $3800 package... $250 savings on a $1600 package is a huge difference!!!

Also did you take into account the 15% hotel tax? The package deal includes the tax while the pin code deal doesn't!

And you would have had to pay the "resort fee" on your first package as well. It is standard for every night you stay at the DLH.

And you would have had to pay the "resort fee" on your first package as well. It is standard for every night you stay at the DLH.

The resort fee ( a mysterious fee that would be better if called "Parking Fee") is $12.00 per each night of your stay PLUS 15% tax! Yikes!

This comes down to basically a debate on whether or not it is better to book packages through the Walt Disney Travel Company (which is what you did when you first booked online) or just book room-only reservations through Central and get your tickets separately (ordering them online is cheaper right now than getting them at the gate). I booked a WDTC package with a GCH stay for this coming December a year in advance, thinking I would have until November to pay it off (all payment is required 30 days in advance of arrival for WDTC packages). I lost my job and had to cancel the reservation to get my money back. WDTC doesn't care what the circumstances are - they are getting their $100 for cancelling no matter what. Then, I discovered there are cheaper ways to get tickets, and IF I were to re-book through Central Reservations for the same nights, hotel only, and get tickets separately, it WOULD be cheaper than getting the package through WDTC. The package just kind of ties everything up with a nice convenient bow for everyone, but the lanyard, coin, pins and priority seating for shows was not worth the extra money spent on it. I would rather go through Central and get a room only and then get the tickets the cheapest way possible.

Also, if you book through Central (with PIN codes or whatever), you don't have to have it all paid 30 days prior to arrival. You just put down one night's desposit and then you can can pay the remaining balance upon arrival. And you can cancel up to 5 days prior to arrival and NOT be charged anything. You get a full refund as long as the cancellation is 5 days or more from your arrival date. Central is the better way to go, in my opinion!

Thanks for in input, folks...I feel like this is such a confusing mess, and I deal with $ and numbers all day, working in a billing and credit department! :headache: :laughing:

I think what is frustrating me the most is I'm not canceling. I just made the reservations literally 3 days before I got this postcard that DISNEY mailed ME -- it's not a deal I saw in a magazine or website, they have my name on it and they solicited me. And this is our third Disney trip this year -- February at DL w/DSD and DGD, and just spent a week in September at WDW w/DH, and now another 4 nights/5 days at DL in December.

I'm also concerned because the rep told me she couldn't email a confirmation, it would be snail mail, and when I asked her if the letter would show that we got 5 day hopper passes, she kept saying that it wouldn't be itemized. :eek: So I sure hope there is something confirming exactly what we are getting. I was just exhausted after being on the phone with her for an hour. And now I've paid 2 deposits (319.90 and 240.35), and have to wait 1-2 billing cycles for a partial refund (219.90) of the first one to hit my credit card account. So I just don't know :guilty: I sent an email to guest services with all the details -- if nothing else, maybe they can send an email confirmation of exactly what we are getting. Basically, the room for 12/12-12/16, 5 day hoppers, and one early entry to Fantasyland...and that's fine. I'd just like something in writing. I did get a "cancellation invoice" in my email this morning from WDTC that shows

Total amount 100.00 (the cancellation charge)
amount paid 319.90 (my first deposit)
balance due -219.90

So hopefully that will be refunded to my credit card, and not have the 120.00 for trip insurance deducted, or this whole thing has been a colossal waste of time! :eek: But I think that was the whole point of her going to speak to a supervisor, to adjust the amount of "penalty" I would accrue for being a naughty guest and daring to change my plans, and I hope they decided $100 was punishment enough :laughing:

She did mention the resort fee was not included, and would come to approx 13.50/day with tax. I assumed they meant per night stayed, and we'll be there 4 nights, so I added 54.00 to my total (1354.40 instead of her first quote of 1300.40). But she said all other taxes were included in the quote, so I hope that's true. :confused3

IT'S KATIEBELL!
2.gif
:cheer2: :snooty: :cheer2: :snooty: :cheer2:
2.gif

Welcome to the DL board...:hug: JC

When I got a package last year through WDTC, the resort fee and taxes and everything were included in the price of the package. I don't know how they work it now. AND they did e-mail me (because I booked online) an itemization of what I was getting. Central Reservations has a less specific breakdown of charges because all you are getting from them is the room, not much else, and they charge you the resort fee and tax for that fee upon arrival. But when they quote you the 'total cost' of the room, what they are telling you is the room rate plus 15% for that, so yes, the taxes are included (for the room only, not the resort fee) in that quote.

Bottom line is, you probably got the PIN code offer because you are in the WDTC system - they sent out PIN codes to a bunch of people this summer who had somehow or another - directly or indirectly - gotten onto the Travel Company mailing list and onto the Disney Destinations mailing list. So it is worth it, I GUESS, to go through WDTC just one time so they can save your contact info for you to get special offers later on...but now, unless the 'package' is a really low price where I am actually saving money and not just saving time, I will go through Central Reservations for all my bookings, PIN offers or otherwise. At least they don't punish you by charging $100 if you have to cancel!

I'm also concerned because the rep told me she couldn't email a confirmation, it would be snail mail,

Katie...call them again...I was told the same thing...I would get my confirmation in the mail...after 10 days and nothing by snail mail ...I called and had them email my confirmation...JC

Once a MAYer, always a MAYer! :snooty:

The resort fee ( a mysterious fee that would be better if called "Parking Fee") is $12.00 per each night of your stay PLUS 15% tax! Yikes!

This comes down to basically a debate on whether or not it is better to book packages through the Walt Disney Travel Company (which is what you did when you first booked online) or just book room-only reservations through Central and get your tickets separately (ordering them online is cheaper right now than getting them at the gate). I booked a WDTC package with a GCH stay for this coming December a year in advance, thinking I would have until November to pay it off (all payment is required 30 days in advance of arrival for WDTC packages). I lost my job and had to cancel the reservation to get my money back. WDTC doesn't care what the circumstances are - they are getting their $100 for cancelling no matter what. Then, I discovered there are cheaper ways to get tickets, and IF I were to re-book through Central Reservations for the same nights, hotel only, and get tickets separately, it WOULD be cheaper than getting the package through WDTC. The package just kind of ties everything up with a nice convenient bow for everyone, but the lanyard, coin, pins and priority seating for shows was not worth the extra money spent on it. I would rather go through Central and get a room only and then get the tickets the cheapest way possible.

Also, if you book through Central (with PIN codes or whatever), you don't have to have it all paid 30 days prior to arrival. You just put down one night's desposit and then you can can pay the remaining balance upon arrival. And you can cancel up to 5 days prior to arrival and NOT be charged anything. You get a full refund as long as the cancellation is 5 days or more from your arrival date. Central is the better way to go, in my opinion!

First of all, sorry to hear about the loss of your job, that's a bummer of a reason to have to cancel a vacation :( Hopefully things turned out better for you, since I see you were just at DL this last weekend!

Yes, I am beginning to see the light, as well :laughing: In the past, I've booked my package through AAA (they used to offer a perk that WAS worth it -- unlimited Fast Passes), GetAwayToday, or I've put together what I wanted myself. But this experience has just about put me off of booking through WDTC. And it looks like I would have saved over $50 on the two adult hopper passes if I'd bought them through my employee association :rolleyes: I wonder if now that it's not a "package" if I can drop those from the total quote and buy them separately at work?

I didn't know that DL ever offered any kind of PIN codes, thought that was a WDW thing only :confused:

The package perks we've gotten in the past have never been all they are cracked up to be -- the lanyards have been stiff and scratchy, the pins are ok but not our favorite characters that we'd seek out, the "priority seating" is hit or miss, we usually only use a coupon or two out of the discount books and already get some dining discounts through AAA or Disney Visa, TTMM was cute and fun, but not important to do more than once.

Gosh darn it, I just want to see it all itemized on paper or in an email: "You paid X, your total with all taxes and all fees is Y. You get A, B, C, D. You still owe us Q, and your first born child..." You know, something like that ;)

IT'S KATIEBELL!
2.gif
:cheer2: :snooty: :cheer2: :snooty: :cheer2:
2.gif

Welcome to the DL board...:hug: JC

Hey JC! Howdy, neighbor, LTNS! :hug: Thank you for the welcome, and yeah, I think I'll call them back, just to get clarification, maybe someone else who's more assuring and confident :laughing: And to find out if I can drop the hopper passes from my total quote with no further penalties, and I could get them through my work instead (2 5 day adult hopper for 349.20 instead of the 408.00 she quoted me yesterday).

Have you checked out my TR for our WDW trip in September? Got some cool pics and dining reviews, and other assorted miscellaneous sillyness :goodvibes

That resort fee is actually already included in the total package price - when you purchase a package. When you purchase room and tickets, you pay that on top of your room price. So while you do pay it with the first package, it is an already paid expense rather than an extra one you now have to pay.

it looks like I would have saved over $50 on the two adult hopper passes if I'd bought them through my employee association :rolleyes: I wonder if now that it's not a "package" if I can drop those from the total quote and buy them separately at work?

You should be able to cancel the tickets because you have not paid for them yet. When I originally booked for October, I was going to have my sister and nephews with me and would have purchased their park hoppers on arrival, but those plans changed and we just removed them from our reservation, no problems....

Have you checked out my TR for our WDW trip in September? Got some cool pics and dining reviews, and other assorted miscellaneous sillyness
Wonderful trippie...:hippie:

Katie...When you call Disney...first off, do ask to speak to a supervisor...the more people you talk with (at Disney) the more muddled :upsidedow this will become...speak to one person (supervisor) explain what happened and go from there...JC

Actually, no, I have not gotten a new job yet! It is a sign of a very bad economy. I happened to get a PIN code offer during summer, and that offer was too good to pass up for DLR hotel room rates, and we already knew we wanted to go around Halloween. So it just kind of fell into place. Plus, I had three 1-day/1-park tickets which I applied towards an AP, and got that for an extremely marked down price, and I began using that AP for discounts on food right away. We wanted to go again around Christmas, and I have an AP so I may go again for a day or two, but I am not expecting any miracles with the hotel. That is the super expensive season, so no PIN offers for me!

Yes, I could kick myself because, after I used WDTC last year, for some reason I decided going through WDTC again would be a good idea and then booked the package for this coming December, only to have to cancel and they got $100 of my money - ouch! I saw what the 'perks' were, and there was nothing that was worth paying a few hundred dollars more! As you said, the pins are nice, but not my favorite characters or anything I would have bought in the stores there! But, because they had my contact info on file, I got the PIN offer this year which I used a few days ago to stay at PPH, so I guess it all worked out one way or the other. Packages are only worthwhile if they somehow SAVE you money. In the old days of DLR packages - like back in the early '90s - that is what they did. It was cheaper to get a package with tickets and room rather than getting the room and tickets separately. Now, somehow, the packages have turned out to be more expensive and really only save you the inconvenience of having to take the time to get a room and tickets separately. Otherwise, not worth it. And now that more folks are going through Central to save a few bucks in these tough economical times and getting room-only reservations, I wonder how long it will be before Disney figures out a way to price-gouge on that too so that they are getting the most money possible!

Little clarification! Since you are staying on-site, and know that this *could* change but it's unlikely, you actually get to partake in all Magic Mornings that happen during your stay. It's not connected to your ticket at all, but to being a guest of the resort. So checking in on the Friday, you could have MM on Sat and Sun, and if you're going into the parks on checkout day which is Tuesday, you could have the MM that day, too.

Queenbillabong -- thanks for that info! I verified this morning that I can remove the PH tix for $408, and buy them myself through my work for $350 :thumbsup2

JC -- Glad you are enjoying the TR...it's been so much fun to write...and I agree, I often ask (nicely) for a sup if I've had issues (I worked in customer service for years :laughing:) but I actually got a guy on the phone this morning who clarified everything: I can cancel the PH tix w/no penalty, I am getting the $219 left of my original deposit refunded, the quote of 1300.40 includes all taxes except on the resort fees, the resort fees with tax are 13.80/day. So it does look like I saved some and it was worth the hassle -- thanks to all of you for helping me sort this out! :flower3:

Sherry E -- well best of luck on finding a new job...yes things are very tough right now :sad2: Nice that you live close enough to the magic to visit DL even without a hotel stay. How did you like PP? I was trying to talk DH into trying it this time, but he just really, really loves DLH and we can't affort the GC :laughing: Yep, I was thinking back and I think I've booked through WDTC before too, when there was a price benefit to getting a package. But lesson learned: I will do it myself in the future unless there is such a fabulous perk I can't pass it up -- like when AAA used to offer unlimited Fast Passes, and you could get as many as you wanted, even if they overlapped times -- that was sweet! :goodvibes But I have enough refillable AAA mugs, scratchy lanyards with advertising, and luggage tags to supply an army :rotfl2:

bumbershoot -- Great piece of info! The CM I talked to this morning had hinted that I could ask at check in if I would qualify for an additional MM. Do I have to ask about it, or is it an automatic benefit for resort guests? We do plan to do probably half a day on Tuesday before our longggggg drive home.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter