Confessions of a reluctant runner, a DL 1/2 & PHM PTR. 7/5 race recaps and final thoughts

I knew you would find yourself a new race. That's awesome. Going bicoastal will be fun. Happy planning! :cheer2:

Well I was pretty shocked at the blessing I got to do it. I really shouldn't but CA is a heck of a lot easier to pull off for a quick jaunt. Worst case, I could always defer if I had to.

YAY! Well done for signing up.

Happy planning.

And in your shoes, I would totally renew the AP = More. Trips.

Well...there needs to be funds for more trips. If I did get an AP it would be spending money now I really don't need to. My 2015 needs for DL is about 7 days, the regular AP (which has blackouts) would cover 6 of those 7. It's big price jump to the non blackout one. The special ticket prices for the races are amazing so if that is all I did...I'd spend $150 more than I need to. If I did somehow do another race in that time frame I would save about the same, maybe less. I just don't know that I could pull off another DL race in the time frame the AP would be good for, it might make more sense to buy it in Nov and not worry about it now (it's only a $20 savings to renew versus buying new anyway). That would give me a much bigger time window plus by then I'd know for sure if I was pulling off another race or if the likelihood was decent.

I'm very excited for you, I can hear the excitement in your voice, but I have no idea what a Coast to Coast means??? You don't literally run from one side to the other do you? Hopefully I'm not coming across as a total stupid head...

My bad!

Coast to Coast is when you do 2 runDisney events in one calendar year, one on each coast. You get a special medal after completion of the 2nd race. There are currently 2 versions of C2C medals out there. One, for any combo of races. that is blue and then a pink one that is ONLY if you do the two girly races, the Princess Half in WDW and the Tinkerbell Half in DL. The ribbons change but the medal stays the same. If you do both girly races and then 2 other races, 1 on each coast) so 4 total...you can get both. LOL!

coast+to+coast+both.png

That's awesome! Now please let me know the date so I don't book our band to play Disney that weekend! :rotfl2: We played there that weekend last year and it was crazy traffic wise. Some people almost missed the performance! :eek:

LOL! November 12-16, with races the 13-15.

Cool! I'd say go for another one. The Star Wars race really looked pretty awesome to me. But then again, that's the first Disney race I've ever seen so I've got nothing to compare it to.

Star Wars would be super cool! Everyone I know who did it, loved it. My challenge is the time, mid Jan. Training in Dec with work is HARD. Granted, training in Sept/Oct is also hard but I figured a November race would force me to stay on track. In 2016 I would love to do Star Wars and then Wine and Dine.

I don't think my budget will allow that and there are (hopefully unfounded) rumors of now W&D in 2016.

I also have no idea what a Coast to Coast is??

My bad, see above!

Thanks so much for the explanation :)

Your Hawaii trip is coming up super fast!!!!!

It is! I am SOOOOO not ready but SOOOO ready all at the same time. Super frustrating week at work and have zero motivation for really anything right now other than leaving town...not on a work trip. LOL!

Great! That was our first choice weekend.

BOO, sorry about that but better to know, yes?

I just knew you would find a way....:rotfl2: Congrats !!!!

Yeah, hopefully I can really pull it all off $$ wise...that's always the kicker but Figured since I was half the way there on C2C and it was the cheaper one to complete the set...it made sense to try. I don't know what 2016 will bring but I'll be happy to do this one. I do hope it doesn't have the killer winds of last year but I'll live even if it does.

It's funny, there is a race we will be registering for on Monday that is going to be as, or more, stressful than a rD event.

I didn't know what Coast to Coast was either. That is so cool and the medal is fabulous! Awesome :cool1:

Congrats on signing up for the race! Good luck on your AP decision.

Jill in CO

I'm terribly behind but I just have to say yahoo! To your C2C!!! I know it will be a fun accomplishment for you! I'll be cheering you on from my couch with a toast of wine Now back to trying to catch up on sooo many threads. Squirrel!!

One of the couples at my party in two weeks got their C2C at the Star Wars event in January so you all can compare notes.

Cynthia - I know you must be leaving for Hawaii anytime now (or maybe you have already left). I hope you and the family have a great time, but please don't post too many pictures of your runs.

On second thought - go ahead. The weather has been much better here so I think I can handle a few palm trees and sunsets without be too super jelly! :rotfl2:

HI! Finally catching up! As you know I have been a little busy running all over the eastern part of MA!

Yay for coast to coast!!!! I am so tempted to register, but I need to be smart. My friend and I want to do the Disney Cruise, then the PHM weekend in Feb so I need to save my money. I think Nov 2016 makes far more sense for me. Plus having scratched PHM I will not qualify for the C2C so that would be a bummer.

Coast to Coast? Wow girl, good for you!!!!

Did you decide for or against a DL AP?

Against. I mapped out what I need for these next 2 trips and best case I'd be spending I think $100 more than I would if I just buy a hopper and then the special race ticket, worst case, more like $150 extra. It just didn't make sense. I'd love to think I could do Star Wars in Jan but that's a super long shot at best and one I'm not comfortable hedging a bet on. The reality is, that once I paid for my avengers registration, 3 registrations for the Blerch, a 10K registration for Jeff to do a race with me a couple of weeks ago and 3 registrations I plan do to on Thursday for a mothers day race...there went any extra ticket money. It's been ugly with race fees. Mind you, by choice, but ultimately I think a better use of the funds for now.

Congrats to you on the Coast to Coast.

Thamks

I didn't know what Coast to Coast was either. That is so cool and the medal is fabulous! Awesome :cool1:

thanks! It should be fun. It will be a bit weird being completely solo but I'll know lots of folks there so I won't exactly be alone.

Congrats on deciding to go Coast to Coast! I'm sure it will be another fun trip!

Thanks! I am excited. I do hope Jeff comes but we will see.

Congrats on signing up for the race! Good luck on your AP decision.

Jill in CO

Thanks! No AP but I think it's the right call, sad as it may be to watch it expire.

I'm terribly behind but I just have to say yahoo! To your C2C!!! I know it will be a fun accomplishment for you! I'll be cheering you on from my couch with a toast of wine Now back to trying to catch up on sooo many threads. Squirrel!!

Thanks Kathy!

Toast away, that sounds lovely!

One of the couples at my party in two weeks got their C2C at the Star Wars event in January so you all can compare notes.

Fun! I heard great things about Star Wars, I would like to do that one day. Looking forward to meeting them!

Cynthia - I know you must be leaving for Hawaii anytime now (or maybe you have already left). I hope you and the family have a great time, but please don't post too many pictures of your runs.

On second thought - go ahead. The weather has been much better here so I think I can handle a few palm trees and sunsets without be too super jelly! :rotfl2:

Well, I only ran once while gone! But...I ran a half the Sunday before we left. Does that count? LOL

I knew you'd book another race.

Yeah....I did. Kind of surprised Jeff went for it but very happy he did!

HI! Finally catching up! As you know I have been a little busy running all over the eastern part of MA!

yeah, just a little busy! I actually packed my Boston Strong tank and was going to wear it Monday for you...and run...in Hawaii but due to some unexpected events I found myself at Pearl Harbor during the race, watching your tracking come in.

Are you still stuck at 40K?

So proud of you, what an accomlishment!

Yay for coast to coast!!!! I am so tempted to register, but I need to be smart. My friend and I want to do the Disney Cruise, then the PHM weekend in Feb so I need to save my money. I think Nov 2016 makes far more sense for me. Plus having scratched PHM I will not qualify for the C2C so that would be a bummer.

It's hard. It is easier when they sell out right away, then the decision is made! I'm kind of kicking myself for registering right away as between that and the Blerch and other things, oy, it's a broke month. Family vacation will do that! But had I not, both would be sold out now I know. Blerch almost is. I'm not going to think about 2016 runDisney races until I make sure I get that darn Ireland trip paid for!

Before I head out on yet another amazing trip, I thought I'd do a quick update! I guess technically I am training for the Avengers half now, right?

LOL!

Lets see. When I last left off I was in post PHM funk, had signed up for 3 races and then, unexpectedly received a blessing to sign up for Avengers, which I did! We'd also run a soggy 5K and dealt with a dead car.

After that I hoped would be a good weekend of training runs in the shoes I'd bought to replace the ones that blew out at PHM. They seemed do do ok at the 5k which was encouraging.

Yeah.

Not.

I ran 6 on the Sat I think and then 10 on the Sunday and that was too much for them. Nasty blisters were back and I could tell what the issue was with the shoe so again, I went back. This stressed me out as I was scheduled to run another half in 2 weeks but I didn't really have an alternative, I literally had no shoes to run in!

So off to the store I went on Monday as I had a work trip the next day. It included a fun 5K in Palm Desert at a work event and a fun desert hike. The new (again) shoes seemed ok at the 5K but I wore old ones that I can't use for running on the hike.

I didn't take any pictures on the run but this is from my walk over to it. I stayed at a timeshare next door to the resort where it was held and had some lovely walks back and forth.

IMG_4622.jpg

It was really fun but surprisingly competitive. I guess it shouldn't have been given the audience but the last time I did one of these there were maybe 12 of us and it was super casual. This had to be at least 50, with practically a gun start and a marked course, treats at the end, the whole thing. It was really fun and very pretty. Way better than the traditional tennis or golf stuff if you ask me!

I also got to see Kendall while I was there! As luck would have it, it was during her spring break and she was there with her grandparents on her mom's side. They have a place there and were celebrating her grandfather's 80th. They were nice enough to let me steal her for a lunch!

IMG_4628.jpg

IMG_4629.jpg

IMG_4631_1.jpg

A few hike pics

IMG_4646_1.jpg

IMG_4644.jpg

IMG_4643_1.jpg

IMG_4642_1.jpg

IMG_4640_1.jpg

Back home finally I stuck to my training plan and ran 12 the following Sunday. In brand new shoes, not generally a wise idea. Which didn't make the blisters worse, it did make me sore in new spots which was concerning. At the end of the day they held up ok. The next weekend was Easter and Jeff and I did get out of a lovely run before heading to my folks (after the boys and I went to sunrise service)

IMG_4727_1.jpg

We also got our outfits for Bay to Breakers!

Ok, I already had the skirt. LOL! I may change my mind depending on the weather. It is NOT an out and back and I can hold a lot more with the side pockets plus we have to make sure Jeff takes his phone or I will never ever find him at the finish.

IMG_4693.jpg

IMG_4692_1.jpg

Which brings me to my most recent half marathon! I will be honest here, I did not go into this feeling good at all. I was worried about my shoes, my ankles, my blister areas. Jeff and I had a bit of a spat the night before and didn't sleep well plus it was an early start.

And yet, it would appear that by tattoing myself with 2 different pace charts and sticking with a pacer for almost half the race, I was able to shave almost 4 minutes off of my PHM time and PR!

IMG_4756.jpg

It was a gorgeous course and absolutely perfect running weather with a start and finish at a marina. Jeff did the 10K and waited for me in the beer garden where he could watch me cross.

IMG_4752.jpg

EverettHalf1.jpg

EverettHalf.jpg

In addition to the beer, which was from a local favorite of ours, they had amazing soups and all kinds of other goodies. The whole experience vastly made up for the bad race I'd had with this same group in the fall when a turn around spot hadn't been marked.

IMG_4760.jpg

How'd I do?

45348d84-7a11-42c1-b79b-bec47d26ddd4.png

A definite improvement and it felt good! You can see how much faster the local races are though by my placement.

We had kind of an amazing experience with another runner at the beer garden. She was a mom who had been through a very public traumatic experience locally and was using the race to help her get through it and make peace/move on in a positive way. Another mom in the same situation had ditched her, was supposed to run and meet her after and over the time she waited it became clear this person hadn't run and was actually at some bar nearby. Two ways of dealing with tragedy. We chatted for quite a while about my running journey and hopefully encouraged her to keep going. It was an experience that will stay with both of us for quite a while.

Up next? Well I registered all of us for Beat the Blerch. What's a Blerch? Well let me tell you, read this comic!

If you remember the crazy light up night christmas fun run we did...that was with the Oatmeal.

Last year was the first year, only locally and it sold out in 20 minutes. This year they added more races and it's not completely gone, yet. Jeff and eric will do the 10K, Ann, her DH and I will do the half. I think her daughter is doing the half as well and a whole bunch of other folks we know will be there some doing the 10 and some the half. It should be a blast. Just look at what we get!

Beat The Blerch is a 10k, half marathon, and full marathon inspired by this comic about running.
Organized by The Oatmeal, these races are a way for you to figuratively (and literally) Beat The Blerch.

HIGHLIGHTS OF THE RACES

• Matthew Inman, AKA The Oatmeal, will be running and attending each race.
  • Every participant gets a “I Beat The Blerch in 2015” tech shirt and medal.
  • There will be large quantities of cupcakes at every aid station, in addition to Nutella and magical grape beverages.
  • Race photos are FREE.
  • Ridiculously awesome goodie bag stuffed with Blerch surprises.
  • A portion of the proceeds go to charity.
  • There will be actual Blerchs in fat-suits chasing you throughout the race.
Last year the oatmeal signed bibs at packet pickup and actually drew comics on them! It isn't until September

We are back from Hawaii, I only ran once there and it was hot and slow but still absolutely lovely.

11149524_10205793950160007_394255826368765336_n.jpg

We did do two short hikes, I haven't uploaded any pics yet but those were lovely too!

I am planning to do half on Mothers Day, Jeff and Eric will do the 5K and then Jeff and I head to SF for Bay to Breakers. In the meantime...I am headed to DL on Thursday for Alison's Birthday Party!

And don't worry.

I promise NOT to run while there. I am not even packing my shoes!

But I'll leave you with this, because it cracks me up.

IMG_4779.png

Last edited:
So much running Well done!

YAY for 1 day. Have fun and make sure you come back with tons of pictures.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter