Concierge???

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by Postal68, Apr 24, 2013.

1. Postal68

Postal68 DIS Veteran

Is it really worth it? We're not doing Palo and we really don't see the sense in spending $500 for a Cabana that we really wouldn't be spending much time in it.

They are the main two advantages that we see.

We are already booked again in a category 4A on the Dream so the rooms aren't any different unless we upgraded to a suite, correct?

Also, if there were to be an upgrade available at check in to the suite, how much more (ballpark) would it possibly be?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Stitch'sCousin

Stitch'sCousin DIS Veteran

For us, it was only about $400 more to book a cat. V for 3A2K for our 7 night 2014 western instead of a cat 4a so we went for it. The cat 4a and cat V are the same size, but we liked the idea of the lounge and sundeck for the cruise.

4. mdurette

mdurette DIS Veteran

This was me up until 2 weeks ago. We sailed regular and was absolutely ok with it. Our friends sailed concierge. The lounge with food and drinks and the service didn't do anything for me. But.....OMG, they got a cabana and we were able to join them. I had the same attitude as you - I'm going to be on the beach anyway - what good is the Cabana for. Well ... the cabana itself was nice - stocked with everything you would need - but what impressed me (and had me upgrade to Conceirge for our next trip) was that they section off a huge section of beach just for Cabana guests. Seriously - it was a huge section and I never came across more than 10 people on the beach. It felt like you had your own piece of CC - which we did. It was awesome and yes, do I still think $500 is steep for what I call a shack with a fridge and shower - absolutely. But, now that I have been in it - I want it again.

5. darkwing818

darkwing818 DIS Veteran

Last October, we upgraded from a ocean view (forgot the category) to concierge for $680, for DW & I it was a great decision. As noted above the lounge & the sun deck were great. Also the concierge team really made sure we had an exceptional cruise experience.

As I recall when we upgraded at the port last October, the upgrade charge for a 1 bedroom was $1,200. :eek:

One big problem, once you experience Concierge you won't :sad2: want to go back to a standard stateroom. Witness the fact that we upgraded our cruise this past January to Concierge & have booked the 2013 & 14 NYE cruises as Concierge. ::yes::

6. bumbershoot

bumbershoot DIS Veteran

Well, the size isn't any different, but the look of it is. And having the snacks and espresso and Evian waters available whenever the lounge is open is lovely. The free alcohol half an hour before the dining seatings was nice, too, though we barely took advantage of it. Even if you don't USE the concierge people to get much of anything extra, it's still not a bad thing to do.

FWIW, a cabana isn't a given with concierge; it's just a bit easier to get.

For our 3 night the change from our booked 4a to a V was $300 and change. WELL worth it, in our opinion.

7. taylor3297

taylor3297 DIS Veteran

Not sure if it is worth it or not. Going on our first Disney cruise in October. We are doing the 5 night double dip. Since I do not like cruises (I was out voted) I booked us a one bedroom. Also, going to try and book one of the cabanas.

So keeping my fingers crossed it is worth the money.

8. Namsupak

Namsupak DIS Veteran

Posted this in response to a similar question earlier this month.

Well the first thing is that "worth" is really subjective. It would be very difficult to get a straight numerical value for what concierge provides. I'll list some of the benefits that matter to us. Also keep in mind that concierge on the new ships vs the classic ships is different. I'll comment mainly on the new ships as that is where the greatest cost differentiation lies.

• booking excursions at the 120 day mark
    • shoreside concierge to call for any questions or requests
    • priority on changes to dining assignments
    • priority tendering
    • priority on nursery appointments
    • priority on specialty dining
    • Priority boarding
    • Concierge Lounge
    • Private Sun-deck
    • Complimentary Drinks before dinner
    • Snacks in the lounge
    • Borrow dvds
    • Borrow iPads
    • The concierge team acts as your one stop for everything, no need to go to guest services for anything
    • 100 minutes of free internet package
    • Special meet and greet with a character
    • If you stay in a suite you have the option of ordering main dining room to your room and also hot breakfast.
    • On debarkation you have continental room service if you are in a suite.
    • Royal suites get an unlimited internet package and also have the option of ordering palo to the room.
    • Usually some sort of Disney lithograph
    • You get a few extra bath products
    • Nice robes and slippers
    • little "gifts" from the concierge especially if you have kids
    • Better mattress and pillows - also the option of exchanging pillows

It really just depends on the experience you are looking for. When you travel do you pick value or deluxe accommodations? If you like privacy then concierge is excellent as well because you have a sun deck and a lounge that are generally less busy than the rest of the ship. Do you plan on using the amenities such as 120day excursion booking, and ordering the full menu from your suite.

For example we are booked in a category T on the Fantasy at high season which is about 20k. A V for us would have been about 14k, and a category 4 was in the neighborhood of about 9k.

Is it worth twice or one and a half times the cost of a standard room to travel concierge? If you make a comparison from a lower room then the difference is even greater.

One thing for us is we like verandah rooms, we also like space, so the jump up to concierge isn't that much. We find that it is worth it. We have done V's as well and they are fine too as we spend more time in the lounge or on the sun deck. When we do travel in a T we love the space but we also like the ability to order hot breakfast, for us this is a big thing and it gives us a lot of value.

Not having to wait in the guest services line is also a big plus, just relax in the lounge and catch the concierge. It really is just hard to put a number on how much it is worth, especially since the concierge teams work so hard to make your cruise even more special than it already is.

Take the price to upgrade now and it is usually about 50% of that to upgrade at port. Keep in mind that is just an estimate as the price is sometimes a little more or a little less.

Also we love a cabana so we generally book these every time we go to CC

9. Postal68

Postal68 DIS Veteran

Funny, because going over this list, I don't think it would be beneficial to us
    We like to stay at nicer hotels, but budget is always a factor. Having a girl age 12, and a boy age 16, the extra room is always one of our determining factors of where to stay. I'm glad I asked because concierge doesn't seem like something that would be beneficial to us price-wise for the perks that it gives you other than maybe a one bedroom or Royal Suite. I also think if we did longer cruises it would be something more beneficial as well. On a four day, we really don't spend much time in the cabin anyway.

Maybe if it was only my wife and I we would take more advantage of some of those perks.

10. bumbershoot

bumbershoot DIS Veteran

No you don't keep the robes and slippers.

The gifts for DS from concierge were arcade cards. Gave him 4 10-minute arcade cards.

If you are espresso drinkers, that is extra on the ship. Cappucinos went into our calculations (though again, it was only $300 and change for us to upgrade to category V for our cruise) b/c we are both coffee drinkers and like espresso. The machine in the lounge was VERY worth it for us, vs having to go up to the espresso place and pay them. I will say that the (free/included) snacks up at the coffee place were lovely, but having to pay for the drinks was not. We only did that once. Kept our snacking to the lounge after that. :)

11. wallawallakids

wallawallakids DIS Veteran

Funny, the gifts must not change much. We have four kids and we got 4 10 minute arcade cards as a gift one day. I assumed it was because we have four kids. Sounds like they must always give 4 cards! So apparently if you have fewer siblings you win out. ;)

We also drink espresso and we paid for it everyday at the Cove Bar.

To us the only benefit was the room. I feel like the room is worth the price. I wish I could just get the suite without concierge. Our next cruise is to Alaska and we are not doing concierge again. I loved the 2 bedroom suite but I was less impressed with the concierge aspect. I booked two of the larger connecting veranda rooms on the 8th floor for Alaska. Maybe I will be disappointed in the rooms, but maybe not. I was disappointed with concierge. We just got off the ship last week.

12. wifey1220

wifey1220 DIS Veteran

My room host said I could keep slippers but if I wanted the robe I had to purchase from gift shop. I have my dcl slippers on right now. Lol.

We upgraded at port so the cost was low and being concierge was fun but not worth it for us to book again. Maybe if we get a good deal at port. I would say the best part was big bathroom.

13. NCConch

NCConch Mouseketeer

I keep checking our cruise and there is a room available. I think we are going to take it - if the price is right.

14. bumbershoot

bumbershoot DIS Veteran

And we thought it was because they knew we had family on the trip with 2 other kids, and they were being extra-sweet! Figured they were giving him 2, with 2 to give to his cousins.

Ooh, good to know.

15. shandrananette

shandrananette Mouseketeer

They might have been. We only got two cards, if I recall.

16. CaliforniaGirl09

CaliforniaGirl09 DIS Veteran

We just got off fantasy concierge and only got 2 cards, too. It was an amazing experience. Worth every penny IMO.

17. jrbdad

jrbdad Mouseketeer

Shhhhhh......don't tell anyone

18. kamgen

kamgen It is what it is...

I think it is very subjective. Concierge is really nice, but for us it really isn't where we want to put our money. We have cruised in everything from a cat 11 up to concierge 1 bedroom suite. But I would rather take 3 cruises than one and that is the price difference many times. While I enjoyed sailing concierge, it didn't make me enjoy my cruise more than the ones when I sailed in an inside room. To each his own. ;-)

19. knan74

knan74 Kristin

We are in an 00V right now on the second half of our B2B in August (in a regular verandah room for the 4 night first leg)...since we will be in the port first, we figured we would try to upgrade the 00V....do you mean that it was 1200 from the family oceanview concierge to the one bedroom concierge was 1200? For how many people? Thank you for answering my questions if you see them!! (Or if anyone else has done similarly)