Concierge Club

Audrey's Mom

Earning My Ears
We're looking for a Resort off property to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary. The wife would like to go someplace warm/tropical. We're wanting to travel in Late June or July. Does anyone have any advice for some of the best reciprical resorts in the Conceirge Collection?

It is not in the concierge collection, but the Vero Beach Resort would be nice - it is warm and tropical! As far as the concierge collection, perhaps the Arizona Biltmore in Phoenix.
World Passport properties offer many more Florida locations, but I think you have to stay a full week - there are several nice ones on Sanibel Island, such as Casa Ybel or the Southseas Resort on Captiva. There are not many concierge properties in the south - one I do not know much about is the Doral resort and spa in Miami area or the Grove Park Inn up near Asheville. Hope this helps.

Or you might consider Aruba, St. Marteen, Cancun or Puerto Vallarta. Cancun and Aruba are likely the easiest to get a great exchange into but who knows. If it's just the two of you, ask for a studio at La Cabana or Playa Linda in Aruba where it will only cost you about 55-80 points, is fairly easy to get an exchange and in these examples are very close to a 1 BR unit anyway (but high air fare). Also Paradise Village in PV has great studios that are far larger and better equipped than those at DVC. Four Season's in CA would fit the same bill but likely harder to get an exchange. Cancun studios will be somewhat more spartan. Of course you could go for a larger unit which will be worth it in some locations in which case I'd say the Royals in Cancun, Paradise Village, Aruba Marriott, PL, and LCB would be top choices. There are many places in South FL as well but I don't have as much info about them. Also HHI would be a great consideration. Remember that we're very late in the game for an exchange but it doesn't hurt to have MS look online and see what's available.

The bottom line is that there are a lot of choices depending on your wishes and specific circumstances, exchanges, CC, etc. We went to Cancun last summer and stayed at the oldest Royal (Vacation Club International) and had a great time. We did not trade DVC and I would not have given up points for a 2 BR unit for just the two of us. This was a timeshare exchange with a $104 fee, Frequent Flier miles ($84 taxes) and what we spent were the only acute costs. Then there was the $298 maints fee for the unit we exchanged. People asked us where we were going and we said "who cares it's without the kids", LOL. Good luck.

Dean

try the White Swan hotel in San Fransisco, or their sister hotel Petite Auberge. Very charming bed and breakfast with robes, home made cookies, cocktail hour etc. right on bustling Bush Street by Union Square. We loved it!!! We stayed there and at the their other b&b in Napa Maison Fleurie on our honeymoon. TRES ROMANTIQUE!!!!!

Dean - can you confirm that all of the places you mentioned are not concierge collection properties and require a week-long stay? Just want to make sure I understand all this. Thanks.

We're staying at Kapalua Bay Hotel in Maui in July and its a Concierge Collection. We're using points. I've heard good things on this board but haven't been there yet.

We are planning to go to DL/Calif. in August. We were considering two nts in SF at White Swan, but we have concerns. Since it's myself, DH, DS(14) and DS(7) and we are totally spoiled by DVC, we think the room might be too small. I called White Swan directly and they indicated a king bed and a pull-out sofa (which comfortably sleeps 1 adult) in the room. There is a $20 per nt charge for the two kids. And I forgot to ask about a TV in rm. Would Petit Auberge be roomier than White Swan? Any info would be appreciated

All of the places I mentioned are exchanges through II and do require a week long exchange though you are not required to stay that long. The best deals to use your points will be the DVC resorts, the next best deal will be a comparable unit for an II exchanges. The CC, DCL, etc are just not a good use of points overall. Of course there are extenuating circumstances that might make using the points for some of these other things a reasonable choice in any given situation. Most of the places i listed would be difficult from a travel cost standpoint if you couldn't stay about a week. If you're just looking for like 3 nights, I'd suggest you consider either VB, HH or a CC location if you plan on using your DVC points. Maybe you just want to rent something independently and not use your points. I don't think you want to do a timeshare package for this type of trip but it could be a good way to go somewhere for 3-4 nights for a reasonable fee.

Dean

The room we had was rather roomy, but then again it was a honeymoon suite and there were just the 2 of us. For 4 people, I think you'd be cramped.
I don't really think your kids would like it. There aren't really any amenities for kids- no pool, small tvs in room, etc. The outstanding service is geared more for adults- wine hour, cookies for bed-time, sipping sherry in the evening by the fire, outstanding concierge to make reservations etc. Although it's in the heart of SF, I think your kids would be happier at a larger hotel instead of a B&B. Email me, and I'd be happy to give you any additional information.

I disagree with the last poster's response regarding the White Swan Inn. We were there this past summer with our 8 yr old son for 4 nights and we all loved it.
It really depends on what your travel needs are and what your travel experiences are with your children. If your kids have only been on vacation at WDW or at other large resorts, then this may not be to their liking. But if they are used to travelling to other kinds of places, then they may love it. My son certainly did!
While there is no pool, we certainly did not miss it. You are in San Farancisco, for Gods sake! There is so much to see and do that you probably wouldn't have time for much swimming anyway.
What makes The White Swan so special is that it feels like a cozy haven in the middle of the bustling city. We would always come back to the hotel in the late afternoon to get ready for dinner and to stop in the lounge (beautiful and comfortable) for tea, wine, and cheese. In the evening, when we would arrive back home (as my son called it) for the night, we would head back to the lounge for some sweets and acouple rousing games of bacgammon by the fire.
Breakfast at the White Swan is also lovely. It is set up as a buffet in the lounge. There are plenty of tables set very nicely and the atmosphere is terrific. My son is a picky eater and didn't want the omlettes that had been prepared for breakfast. A simple request for plain scrambled eggs from my husband was always responded to kindly. On our last morning, he didn't have to ask. The eggs were already being prepared for him! There are also plenty of pastries, fruit and cereals available.
The Petit Auberge is also lovely but the rooms are much smaller. You'd be better off sticking with the White Swan. Ask for a King size room. Tell them you need the largest room available when making your reservation. They will be very accomodating. And yes, there is a TV in the room. There is also a TV in the Lounge by the fireplace.
Unless you have points to use up, I would pay cash for the reservation. It will cost far less money. That's what we did.
Also, if you are travelling throughout CA, I would reccommend a stay at any of the other Four Sisters Inns. We too stayed at the Maison Fleurie in Napa and loved it. Our favorite Inn of theirs, by far, was The Green Gables Inn in Pacific Grove, walking distance to Monterey. It is right on the water and incredibly wonderful!
If you want a really special trip, definitely stay at the White Swan when you are in San Francisco. We plan on staying there on any future trip we make there. A friend who was travelling with us this summer is returning to SF this spring and has already made his reservation at The White Swan. As you can tell, we're big fans.
If you have any questions please feel free to contact me.

Have a great trip-
Alyson

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter