Complimentary D23 Membership Coming Soon for DVC Members

This is pretty cool! I have seen a few D23 items on disneystore.com that I liked. Not enought to buy a membership and the item however! Maybe I will buy some in the future. I for one am always happy for any free perk, even if I cant or don't end up using it.

Can someone please explain to me why I would want this D23 membership? What does the magazine provide? I am just not excited about this......princess:

The magazine is nice, they charge $15 per issue separately. It's large, I call it a "coffee table" magazine.

Well I've told DW to hold off buying me a D23 membership for my birthday until we see the details. I definitely want the option that gets you the magazine (in fact she went ahead and bought me the current issue) but if we can get it cheaper by waiting a little while, that's fine with me.

Can someone please explain to me why I would want this D23 membership? What does the magazine provide? I am just not excited about this......princess:

The magazine and the little gifts are very cool and well done. They have yearly membership gifts..watch, journal and gorgeous 16 month calendars come to mind. I have gone to both Expos and have tickets to the next, plus 2 Destination Ds and a Cars Land event. I don't live close but each thing I've attended have been well worth the time and money. But it's to each their own..if it doesn't excite you then don't sign up..it's not like DVC members HAVE to..even the complimentary membership problably has a sign up thing. They have been trying to do things in different parts of the country..Fanniversarys and movie screenings for example.

I didn't understand the big woo-hoo about D23 when it was first announced and I still don't understand it. Looks like much a-do about nothing to me (just MHO).

I'm not much about all this "Throw'em a bone and they'll think it's a steak." mentality. Just leave me hungry if you're not going to feed me.

Seriously? Who cares about D23 and how does it benefit me in my DVC membership except to bait me to spend more money that doesn't even have anything to do with my DVC membership?

I guess I'm happy everybody's so excited but I just don't get it. Sorry.

I agree 100%. We were previous D23 members and did not renew our membership. This is a wonderful little perk plus recognizes the link between DVC and the rest of Disney. We are Disney lovers. Claire has recognized this.

YOU GO CLAIRE!!!:banana: Pixie dust on YOU! pixiedust: I feel the momentum building...

I agree 100% with this :cool1:.

bobbiwoz said:
My DSis bought me an original membership, but I never kept it up. Why belong if you don't get the magazine?

I bought a "lite" membership just recently to do the Epcot 30th event. I bought the magazine once at a bookstore Saw no need to get it again

WilsonFlyer said:
I didn't understand the big woo-hoo about D23 when it was first announced and I still don't understand it. Looks like much a-do about nothing to me (just MHO).

I'm not much about all this "Throw'em a bone and they'll think it's a steak." mentality. Just leave me hungry if you're not going to feed me.

Seriously? Who cares about D23 and how does it benefit me in my DVC membership except to bait me to spend more money that doesn't even have anything to do with my DVC membership?

You do realize that all they have to give you is a place to sleep? And considering the response to what they do give us I am amazed they 'throw the bone'

Robin"D" said:
Ok, after listening to Pete rank on D23, is this a good thing?
Well the price is right, if you are a DVC member, but what can this membership do for us?

Robin & Angel "D" :thumbsup2

Yeah... Pete has a bad taste for D23 -and mostly for all valid reasons, I might add. But I'm a charter member and honestly it doesn't "do" anything for me, but I do enjoy the quarterly magazine which in my opinion is pretty high quality. There are many perks if you happen to live near the parks or have a trip planned during an event, but in general there is nothing that the membership will get you except discounts to these events.

D23 is trying very hard and listens to complaints and suggestions and I really appreciate them for that. In fact, I think D23 is the wing(..feather?) of the company that listens the most. They are also starting to offer very decent discounts..broadway tickets, Super Shuttle, Disney online shopping, etc. Many are duplicated elsewhere, but some are pretty specific to them. I don't see the griping about the cost..it seems it is pretty low to me, and getting lower.. it looks like they are adapting and are becomming merged with the archives and from surveys recently sent it looks like some interesting changes may be down the road.

You do realize that all they have to give you is a place to sleep? And considering the response to what they do give us I am amazed they 'throw the bone'

So if I don't jump in the praise parade, I'm in the wrong? I have long since stopped drinking the kool-aid. I love Disney and my DVC or I wouldn't be here right now, but there's no there, there, in this offering. No harm, no foul, I guess. I guess if I'm not a fanboy of everything, I get criticized. So be it.

They don't "give me" a place to sleep. I paid for it, but thank you.

I lowered my expectations years ago. When they throw out stuff like this that is basically meaningless, it insults me because it cost them nothing and I'm suppose to stand on my head thanking them for it when it's worthless anyway? Really? Increasing volume doesn't increase value.

I appreciate the AP additional discount. That has value and provides something tangible. This? Not so much. YMMV.

I bought a "lite" membership just recently to do the Epcot 30th event. I bought the magazine once at a bookstore Saw no need to get it again

I do read reports from people who do Events. I love Disney, but I'm not "into" it as much as some people are. I did enjoy the magazine when it came, when I was a member, but I don't miss it.

I think the important take away is that while monetarily small, a complimentary membership in the Disney Fan Club indicates DVC management is trying. This, coupled with the $399 Annual Pass, the TIW card, additional member cruises, plus new merchandise indicates Claire is listening to groups of members and trying to fill a few requests and niches.

So if I don't jump in the praise parade, I'm in the wrong? I have long since stopped drinking the kool-aid. I love Disney and my DVC or I wouldn't be here right now, but there's no there, there, in this offering. No harm, no foul, I guess. I guess if I'm not a fanboy of everything, I get criticized. So be it.

They don't "give me" a place to sleep. I paid for it, but thank you.

I lowered my expectations years ago. When they throw out stuff like this that is basically meaningless, it insults me because it cost them nothing and I'm suppose to stand on my head thanking them for it when it's worthless anyway? Really? Increasing volume doesn't increase value.

I appreciate the AP additional discount. That has value and provides something tangible. This? Not so much. YMMV.

In contrast to others, the discounted AP does nothing for me, as I am able to take advantage of the Salute to the Military discounts on MYW tickets, which is a much better deal.

That said, I have been on the fence, as it were, on joining the D23. I really want to, but am unable to justify the price in our current budget. If we gain Silver status complimentary, then Gold status could be partially comped, and I can take advantage of that offer. As such for my needs, complimentary D23 membership holds more real and intrinsic value than a discounted AP.

In summary, I am glad Claire and DVC management are making efforts to add value to our membership. Regardless of whether it is to keep the body happy or for talking points during a sale, I am enjoying the attempt and the wide variety of options currently offered.

Wilson, I would postulate that the reason you gave up on the ancillary value of DVC is due to management's lackluster position toward their members. It is likely for this reason that the new management team is working to regain our trust by adding additional value to our membership. We have informed Claire that there was a problem, and it is through the small things that progress can be seen.

In the end, I hope you and other disenfranchised members are able to take a moment to look at the offers as a relationship builder and a movement toward rebuilding what was damaged, rather than a sinister effort to buy our good will with trinkets (which may be the case, however that line of thought insinuates malice, which I have yet to see from this administration).

Thanks for listening! :thumbsup2

In summary, I am glad Claire and DVC management are making efforts to add value to our membership. Regardless of whether it is to keep the body happy or for talking points during a sale, I am enjoying the attempt and the wide variety of options currently offered.

Wilson, I would postulate that the reason you gave up on the ancillary value of DVC is due to management's lackluster position toward their members. It is likely for this reason that the new management team is working to regain our trust by adding additional value to our membership. We have informed Claire that there was a problem, and it is through the small things that progress can be seen.

In the end, I hope you and other disenfranchised members are able to take a moment to look at the offers as a relationship builder and a movement toward rebuilding what was damaged, rather than a sinister effort to buy our good will with trinkets (which may be the case, however that line of thought insinuates malice, which I have yet to see from this administration).

Thanks for listening! :thumbsup2

I'll give you that 100%. I agree.

So, this is starting in 2013? My membership expires in November so I guess I'll just let it lapse for a month or two and get a new one.

If its FREE how can anyone complain? If you dont like it just dont sign up.

If its FREE how can anyone complain? If you dont like it just dont sign up.

My thoughts too.
I'll sign up, just to see what the membership offers. Up until now I had no desire to even try it. This is a bonus offered to us without additional cost, we don't have to maintain membership if we don't care to, and this could/most likely will drive up memberships/sales for the D23 club.

Claire's a smart one when it comes to playing up the 'club' part of DVC and turning it into gain for other areas in Disney. They'd better keep her. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!