Coming to Reverse Maleficent's Curse! A 16th Birthday to Disneyland PTR (COMPLETE)

It's only been a little over six months since I was last at DLR and I can hardly wait for my next trip.

That's what Disney does to you LOL Have fun on your trip! :-)

Oh my goodness. The original post is too adorable. I hope you and your friends have the most magical trip ever! 16 is supposed to be a fun birthday! (My daughter had a pirate party for hers.)

Awwww... thanks! I'm really hoping it is very fun, hopefully turning 16 will be as "extravagant" as it's supposed to be. (Oooo... very cool)

I love pictures of your friends.

Thanks Kaitlin :-)

I am sure we will and I will be sure and leave the parks still standing for your big trip!!

PLANS: PRACTICALLY PERFECT IN EVERY WAY!

I guess I started getting very behind on my plans. I guess I need to start getting my homework done quicker so I can post this stuff up. :rolleyes: At least, I've started to incorporate Disney into that little schedule. I finally got my VHS player working and I've watched Mary Poppins and Pollyanna while I do my homework. For those of you, who aren't familiar with Pollyanna, it's one of the more obscure Disney live-action movies, though it was the first movie actress Hayley Mills (The Parent Trip (original)) was in. It's definitely a very cute movie and was my sister's favorites for a long time. Watching it again older, it makes so much more sense and it truly is a great movie, so if you get the chance, look for it somewhere and watch it ::yes::

For those of you who followed the main PTR and my other TRs know how I got one of the Pottermore beta accounts, well... I FINALLY got the welcome email last Thursday and have officially joined the site. I'm going back through the post on when I first discussed me joining the site so I can send out more friend requests for everyone to accept when I join. :-) And for any of those curious, since House Sorting was the big thing for being on for early access to Pottermore, I'm in Ravenclaw! Yes, I'm so happy, that was the house I wanted to be in most. The sorting ceremony is very different than you would expect, but I will only go as far as that when it comes to Pottermore so any awaiting emails can be surprised. :teeth:

Alright, I got off topic for a bit, let me get to the update...

So, I'm bouncing between getting a late flight into one of the nearby airports the day before the real plans start, which would be April 21st. If we get the early flight the day of, we would get there and hopefully arrive in time to have a decent amount of time at DCA or DL depending on how everyone is feeling when we arrive and we would try to work out flights with Nate in Pennsylvania, trying to arrive at the same time between two airports and two airplanes. It's going to be tough. :/ If we end up going the day before, we will arrive and maybe go out for dinner at Downtown Disney and look around the place and maybe the on-property hotels too :goodvibes And then it would be a nice rest to get past the jet lag (one hour behind).

No official decision on hotels, but I'm looking at either Howard Johnson, since I've heard good things or Best Western, since that's only walking distance from DLR. I'm still searching through, but those are the ones most prominent in my mind

hojoexterior.jpg

anaheim-inn-front-300x150.jpg

Then, we would go on the second day to Disneyland as our first park, going with the plans to arrive at night a day before!

disneyland-castle.jpg

There is so much to do on this first day. I'm probably going to be making multiple posts on the must-dos for me, but I'll give you a few of them, but definitely Pirates of the Caribbean, since I've heard theirs is double the size.

Disneyland+California+Pirates+of+Caribbean+11-24-2008+11-01-31+AM+1214x856.JPG

Space Mountain, totally! I've heard this one is so much better than the one in WDW and I love the one in WDW, so it will be interesting to ride this one.
space-mountain.jpg

Indiana Jones, after that... I love DINOSAUR and they use the same ride vehicles and I've heard this one has a better theme so I'm definitely excited to try it out.
indiana-jones1.jpg

Yup, so that's how my day one is going to go, I'll get more specific when the time comes. Let's move on to the second day, which will be at... Disney's California Adventure!

calsign.jpg

Sadly the entrance is different now and is more DHS-esque which bothers me to no end, but I'd rather not rant right now about that. There still is a lot I'm excited about in DCA like...

The Little Mermaid: Ariel's Undersea Adventure, I think this is pretty obvious for ANY DISer.
little-mermaid-model.jpg

World of Color! I've been starting to watch this on YouTube and I love it. It is basically Fantasmic on steroids, but for it to be that good, I can't wait to see it. :goodvibes
4732658268_3e97c38fd3.jpg

I'm going out on a limb with this one, but... California Screamin'. I'm really going to try to push myself to get on this. I'm finding rides that I was terrified of at first I truly enjoy and I need to get past my fear of inversions (loops, corkscrews, etc.), so this seems like my chance. Man up, man up!
california_screamin.jpg

So, that ends the second day. I'm very excited for both days nonetheless with all this stuff I get to experience only over two days! I'm insane, so I've snuck in one last day. With this last day, my friends and I will discuss which park we enjoyed the most overall (not one ride) and go to that park. We did this on my first trip and I got to enjoy MK twice, which was a fantastic experience, but I won't reveal too much since most are reading my TR, but I guess I gave away the park again so... whatever. But that's how the third/fourth day will go.

On the fourth/fifth day, we will start to explore more of California. I really want to go drive down to Hollywood Boulevard and immerse myself in the heart of the showbiz franchise, which is Hollywood. I also want to check out the Disney Studio Store and Fountain Shop.

P1-001.JPG

Looks like lots of fun to do there. I also want to check out the real Chinese Theater, the stars on the Hollywood Walk of Fame and the list just goes on and on and on for this day. We may also visit my cousins today if we have time :teeth: So, this will be more of a California day.

On the ever-bittersweet last day :( We may do some last minute shopping in DTD or add another half-park day, who knows, but we will be leaving today. We may also use the late flight to go visit my cousins today as well or maybe we'll book a reservation today at some Disney restaurant for some last minute fun. This is very up in the air like the third/fourth day.

So, that is the very flimsy plans I have. I'll start getting into more of what I want to do and such in other posts so I don't just have the ones I gave you since there is a lot I really want to do in DLR and in Cali itself. I'm very excited. My ticker says 223 days, just that much closer to 200 :woohoo:

Oh, of course... Have A Jolly Holi-DAY! (;

:maleficen

You know if you ever get a chance you might even want to read Pollyanna. It is a great book that I enjoyed as a kid and now as an adult.

Great plans. There are a lot of good neighbor hotels that are within walking distance.

Love the plans Timmy!! Honestly, you should go on California Screamin.

Thanks Kaitlin! :-) I totally am going to push myself since it looks like a lot of fun... wish me luck :thumbsup2

You know if you ever get a chance you might even want to read Pollyanna. It is a great book that I enjoyed as a kid and now as an adult.

I saw that on the opening credits. I was trying to picture it as a book and it sounds even better. I'll definitely check it out soon :-)

Great plans. There are a lot of good neighbor hotels that are within walking distance.

Thanks! :-) Oh, that's good to know, I haven't looked through all of them so maybe I'll find something better than Best Western to stay in :teeth:

Thanks Kaitlin! :-) I totally am going to push myself since it looks like a lot of fun... wish me luck :thumbsup2

I saw that on the opening credits. I was trying to picture it as a book and it sounds even better. I'll definitely check it out soon :-)

Thanks! :-) Oh, that's good to know, I haven't looked through all of them so maybe I'll find something better than Best Western to stay in :teeth:

A lot of the Disneyland regulars do swear by Hojo's. This is a great thread that should help you with most planning questions. Including a map of what hotel is where.

You should be fine on CA Screamin, my granddaughter did it at age 7:lmao:
She's very tall and mature for her age and totally fearless.

Kind of jumping in here ;) A few comments that come to mind right away:

• I am a big lover of the Howard Johnson on Harbor Blvd. and ahve been staying there for the past few years with no reason to look for someplace new to stay. It is also within walking distance, although a bit further than a few other locaitons on Harbor. It's even better if you can snag ther "Retro Rate" or what is more commonly known as the Entertainment Rate. If you don't already know about it, check out their message board: When is the low season Entertainment Rate available?

• Have you given any thought into doing a little more park hopping instead of dedicating specific days to one of the two parks? Having the two parks right across from each other like they are is pretty awesome and I'm myself only just beginning to dicover the benefits of park hopping.

• Don't be too discouraged by the new entrance to DCA! It's sad the letters are gone, but it's a huge upgrade for us. DCA has needed a real "theme" for some time and the historic locations from SoCal that are getting represented (like the Pan-Pacific Auditorium of the new entrance gates) are just perfect. But I totally get where you're coming from with your experiences at WDW.

• Definitely go on California Screamin'! You can do it. I only went on my first roller coaster last year - and I'm 25!! They have terrified me for years as have all thrill rides but I'm finally learning how much I can love them and this is one of my favorites. You'll love it, I'm sure of it.

• I've been to the Soda Fountain & Studio Store once before and was so glad I went. Especially with Grauman's right across the street, the El Capitan next door, etc. I hope you get to go there.

Oh, and Starkids rule, BTW. ;)

Ooooo... I'll definitely have to check that out. Thanks Michele! :-)

You should be fine on CA Screamin, my granddaughter did it at age 7:lmao:
She's very tall and mature for her age and totally fearless.

Yeah, well I'm a ride wimp so total opposite lol But I'm a bit more daring than I was before. If I really pushed myself the things I would do... yeah, pretty insane, but we'll see when the time comes. I just wish they still had the old recording (not Neil Patrick Harris) that I've heard on old on-ride videos of the ride.

Kind of jumping in here ;) A few comments that come to mind right away:

• I am a big lover of the Howard Johnson on Harbor Blvd. and ahve been staying there for the past few years with no reason to look for someplace new to stay. It is also within walking distance, although a bit further than a few other locaitons on Harbor. It's even better if you can snag ther "Retro Rate" or what is more commonly known as the Entertainment Rate. If you don't already know about it, check out their message board: When is the low season Entertainment Rate available?

:welcome: Glad you could join in! :-)

Actually, the reason I was interested in HoJo was because I've been reading your Never-Ending TR. I'm sorry I haven't commented, usually I like to catch up then comment, but I saw how you went to HoJo so many times and seeing your ability to just walk to the park from there, so it seemed like a good choice :thumbsup2

• Have you given any thought into doing a little more park hopping instead of dedicating specific days to one of the two parks? Having the two parks right across from each other like they are is pretty awesome and I'm myself only just beginning to dicover the benefits of park hopping.

Well, the thing is though park hopping seems the better option it costs more and I think keeping this trip as financially aware, will make sure there will be some flight, hotel, etc. booking by December or November, maybe later, but if my mom becomes more generous than we will definitely switch over to park hopping, though as first timers, it would work better, getting a feel for the park by itself :-)

• Don't be too discouraged by the new entrance to DCA! It's sad the letters are gone, but it's a huge upgrade for us. DCA has needed a real "theme" for some time and the historic locations from SoCal that are getting represented (like the Pan-Pacific Auditorium of the new entrance gates) are just perfect. But I totally get where you're coming from with your experiences at WDW.

Well... maybe I'll have to get past that. I like the fact they are making a full scale replica of the Carthay Circle Theater versus the tiny homage in DHS, so that's a plus. But I just wish they had picked a different theme but old time Hollywood, like I knew they were already losing the California coast theme, but... well maybe it is for the best from what you're saying and I'll just have to accept it :teeth:

• Definitely go on California Screamin'! You can do it. I only went on my first roller coaster last year - and I'm 25!! They have terrified me for years as have all thrill rides but I'm finally learning how much I can love them and this is one of my favorites. You'll love it, I'm sure of it.

I've been on roller coasters before, my first actually was in Disney (Space Mountain, to be exact), only two years ago (I'm 15, though 25 beats that by a long shot), so maybe I will. I think once I do it I'll love it. They seem to be easier to conquer, I went on Tower of Terror, the one in WDW and I was accustomed to it, not phased at all... so I will definitely trust myself to do California Screamin', it does look very fun, looking past my fears :goodvibes

• I've been to the Soda Fountain & Studio Store once before and was so glad I went. Especially with Grauman's right across the street, the El Capitan next door, etc. I hope you get to go there.

Oh, and Starkids rule, BTW. ;)

I think this will be so easy to get my group to do this. It's practically a national landmark over there from what I'm hearing, so it almost seems to go beyond the Soda Fountain and to experiencing Hollywood. Definitely excited for that.

Haha, I guess you saw my "location" LOL And yes, they do rule! ;)

My replies in this color!

:welcome: Glad you could join in! :-)

Actually, the reason I was interested in HoJo was because I've been reading your Never-Ending TR. I'm sorry I haven't commented, usually I like to catch up then comment, but I saw how you went to HoJo so many times and seeing your ability to just walk to the park from there, so it seemed like a good choice :thumbsup2

No worries on the comments. I'm horrible about reading others and not commenting. Usually it's just a case of me not having anything intelligent to say because I use whatever small amounts of wit I have in my TR, and then of course I feel like such a dufus if all I say is "awesome update". It's a never ending battle of should I post or should I not.

I really do love the HOJO though. It's not the closest, it's not the fanciest, but the people that work there make it feel like my home (HOJO) away from home (Disneyland) away from home (that place I live when I'm not at Disneyland).

Well, the thing is though park hopping seems the better option it costs more and I think keeping this trip as financially aware, will make sure there will be some flight, hotel, etc. booking by December or November, maybe later, but if my mom becomes more generous than we will definitely switch over to park hopping, though as first timers, it would work better, getting a feel for the park by itself :-)

I can totally get the whole "being financially aware" aspect. Where are you getting your park tickets through? Even before I got my AP I always got mine through local (to me in NorCal) source who only sold the park hoppers so I tend to forget about the 1-park only tickets. I know online the prices that they list only have a $15 difference between the 1-park and park-hoppers and if you can swing it I would definitely recommend getting the hoppers. It can be a very valuable thing at Disneyland. Just my two cents. ;)

Well... maybe I'll have to get past that. I like the fact they are making a full scale replica of the Carthay Circle Theater versus the tiny homage in DHS, so that's a plus. But I just wish they had picked a different theme but old time Hollywood, like I knew they were already losing the California coast theme, but... well maybe it is for the best from what you're saying and I'll just have to accept it :teeth:

Would it help to not necessarily think of it as an old time Hollywood theme, but the California that Walt arrived in when he stepped off the train? That's the real feel of what they are trying to get at DCA. Kind of like how Main Street is inspired by his hometown. It's something I've started to appreciate more since the opening of the Walt Disney Family Museum in San Francisco where they try to give the same feel between a few of the galleries. It's taking us back to what he experienced when he moved out here and started everything. I think a lot of people are getting too hung up on the California themes and not on how it ties back in with Walt. I'm super excited about the new statue a la the Partners statue that is going to have him and Mickey with luggage like they just arrived.

I've been on roller coasters before, my first actually was in Disney (Space Mountain, to be exact), only two years ago (I'm 15, though 25 beats that by a long shot), so maybe I will. I think once I do it I'll love it. They seem to be easier to conquer, I went on Tower of Terror, the one in WDW and I was accustomed to it, not phased at all... so I will definitely trust myself to do California Screamin', it does look very fun, looking past my fears :goodvibes

Very, very fun! The best part of it is that it's very smooth which makes up for everything else.

I think this will be so easy to get my group to do this. It's practically a national landmark over there from what I'm hearing, so it almost seems to go beyond the Soda Fountain and to experiencing Hollywood. Definitely excited for that.

If you're a tourist in LA it's a definite must see.

Haha, I guess you saw my "location" LOL And yes, they do rule! ;)

I can't ignore a Starkid reference, especially Pigfarts!! My last trip had a small Starkid theme since I liked it better than the "Star Tours" theme they gave the 5K I ran in. I was having fun putting TSK references in my PTR. Not many are popping up in my TR yet, but they are always in my head. I actually saw someone with a Slamaganza shirt while I was at Disneyland and it just about made my day. Nobody I know has any clue about them.

Love the update Timmy!! I have my trip report:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=42611414

Thanks Kaitlin! :-) I'll go check it out right now :teeth:

I really do love the HOJO though. It's not the closest, it's not the fanciest, but the people that work there make it feel like my home (HOJO) away from home (Disneyland) away from home (that place I live when I'm not at Disneyland).

Oh, well I'll definitely keep it in my list of hotels I would like to check out, but I'll go thumb through others to see which one I like the most :goodvibes

I can totally get the whole "being financially aware" aspect. Where are you getting your park tickets through? Even before I got my AP I always got mine through local (to me in NorCal) source who only sold the park hoppers so I tend to forget about the 1-park only tickets. I know online the prices that they list only have a $15 difference between the 1-park and park-hoppers and if you can swing it I would definitely recommend getting the hoppers. It can be a very valuable thing at Disneyland. Just my two cents.

I live all the way on the other side of the country when it comes to DLR, so I can't buy tickets locally, unless someone we know has connections over there, but highly unlikely. So, we will be buying it online ahead of time because of the price difference and also they have all the deals on there as well, like one that happened recently with Park Hoppers, but it only worked for a few months so I didn't jump on it, hopefully something similar will happen again so I can get PHs. :woohoo:

Would it help to not necessarily think of it as an old time Hollywood theme, but the California that Walt arrived in when he stepped off the train? That's the real feel of what they are trying to get at DCA. Kind of like how Main Street is inspired by his hometown. It's something I've started to appreciate more since the opening of the Walt Disney Family Museum in San Francisco where they try to give the same feel between a few of the galleries. It's taking us back to what he experienced when he moved out here and started everything. I think a lot of people are getting too hung up on the California themes and not on how it ties back in with Walt. I'm super excited about the new statue a la the Partners statue that is going to have him and Mickey with luggage like they just arrived.

Oh that makes a ton more sense now. I had watched one of the Travel Channel specials on the current DLR and the new expansions they were having like the change in theme for the front area and Cars Land. I really wish that would've been opened for when I go, but when I go again with family, maybe it will be :confused3 And I think I saw the new "Partners statue", it looks very cool, really kinda connects the two parks in a way :teeth:

Very, very fun! The best part of it is that it's very smooth which makes up for everything else.

I don't mind un-smooth rides, though it does make everything more.... exhilarating, so that seems like it's something to look for.

If you're a tourist in LA it's a definite must see.

:thumbsup2

I can't ignore a Starkid reference, especially Pigfarts!! My last trip had a small Starkid theme since I liked it better than the "Star Tours" theme they gave the 5K I ran in. I was having fun putting TSK references in my PTR. Not many are popping up in my TR yet, but they are always in my head. I actually saw someone with a Slamaganza shirt while I was at Disneyland and it just about made my day. Nobody I know has any clue about them.!

That's pretty awesome. My StarKid goes only as far as AVPM and AVPS. I have yet to watch the other two. I'll probably watch Starship soon. I've never heard of Slamaganza or maybe I'm just having a weird blank, but it is pretty awesome when people mention stuff from the StarKid shows :goodvibes Day=Made

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter