"comfortable" with planning WDW,but now I'm going to DLR (first time!) --HELP!

wehrengrizz

DIS Veteran
The good: I am going to DLR for the first time ever! Woohoo! I'm going for the Tinker Bell 10K in May :) I'm going on a solo trip! I'm meeting up with a friend from Air Force BMT and her family for part of my short trip! I have my airfare and GN hotel paid for!
The less good: I'm going on a solo trip, meaning I'm leaving DH and our 5Dkiddos behind (sorta sad, but we went to WDW in Dec). I have to run a 10K :eek:
The badish: I have NO. IDEA. what to plan! I can semi-navigate and plan pretty well for a trip to WDW, over the holidays, for 3 adults and 5 kids (incl. teeny infant), but completely lost on DLR.

I fly in on Th 5May16, and I'll likely do the runners expo and DTD this day, I'm thinking for the Fr, I'll get a park hopper for open to close (maaaybe not close), Sat, race day, wake up before the sun to run :sad2:, then possibly hit opening then snooze a bit and come back at it for the later part of the day.. ?

Where to eat, what to ride, help please! :)

Whatever your "not to be missed" DLR things are, I'd love details. Anything will help!

Thanks DIS, it's much appreciated!!:disrocks:

Start by posting this in the Disneyland (California) forum. You'll get more traffic on your post.
Then read this thread: A DLR Guide for WDW Vets
There is a lot of helpful info there to familiarize you with the similarities and differences between WDW and DLR. After that, come back with your questions. There are lots of people here who can help!

The good thing is that the first or second week of May is pretty slow and you really dont HAVE to plan to have a good time. Restaurants are readily available and wait times are slow enough that you really don't need a strategy except for perhaps Sat. which will be a bit more busy - but I wouldn't worry about it myself.

Start by posting this in the Disneyland (California) forum. You'll get more traffic on your post.
Then read this thread: A DLR Guide for WDW Vets
There is a lot of helpful info there to familiarize you with the similarities and differences between WDW and DLR. After that, come back with your questions. There are lots of people here who can help!
thank you! I must have clicked over to another page, I thought I was posting in that forum. :rolleyes2 I have read the thread (well, a lot of it, not all!) that you mentioned, but I just feel like I'm not prepared the same way as when I go to FL :)

The good thing about DLR is that you usually don't have to prepare as much in advance as you do for WDW. DLR is pretty laid back most of the year. You will be there on a more crowded weekend, but you already know that, so you can be mentally prepared. Take advantage of FPs (no magic bands needed!), make any Priority Seating reservations (use the Dine Line or go online) for any sit down or character meals that are must dos (you can do this 60 days out), and have a basic plan of what are priorities and what are maybes. Then just be flexible and let the magic come your way. :)

You might enjoy a Blue Bayou PTN package (meal comes with seated viewing for the nighttime parade) or a WOC meal at Carthay Circle, Wine Country Trattoria, or Ariel's Grotto (check menus online to see what appeals most to you). Focus on rides that are not in WDW or are different at DLR. Many people recommend IJA, SM (especially now that it is HSM), POTC, PP, and all of Cars Land.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter