Comfort station etiquette? Opposite sex child

twinboysmom

DIS Veteran
Hi all. This is usually a really heated question on other parts of the Dis so hopefully it goes ok here. My family is making our first FW trip in May. We won't have a bathroom in our unit. I have twin boys, age 5, both with severe autism. It would be a lot easier if my DH and I could each take one child with us to do the usual comfort station routines. I usually cover my sons eyes in the bathrooms around women. If this is a big no no we will make do and he will have to bring them one at a time. Thoughts? I really don't want to make anybody uncomfortable.

2Bmom,

I don't see a problem with it. The ladies room (or so I am led to believe) has bathroom stalls, sinks and a counter, then the shower stalls on the back side (all with individual privacy doors). If you attempt to take reasonable precautions, I can't imagine any REASONABLE person having an issue with it.

Over on the men's side, I have seen a very young lady walking from the shower section straight out the door and I don't have a problem with it. Again, there was no lingering or wandering eyes so reasonable precautions were taken. It was probably a single dad taking care of his daughter which is proper and I would salute him spending time at WDW/Fort with her to build some memories together.

The alternative is to send these young kids in alone (and in your case 2 might be hard to handle) which is not a preferable alternative. I know some parts of the DIS play fast and loose, but the Camping Board is generally relaxed, reasonable, and understanding.

So you have my two cents.

Bama Ed

Considering where you'll be (WDW) I'd bet most women in the comfort station are mothers and grandmothers themselves and wouldn't bat an eyelash at a 5 year old boy with his mom.

Thank you both. The boys initially look like normal little kids but it generally doesn't take folks long to realize something is not quite right. We are really looking forward to camping at the fort for our trip. Something different for us and I hope a great experience for my boys.

Tough call. By the way. I'm a guy.

Asking on the forum is easy for those responding. They're not there. But walking in unannounced to the ladies room could cause quite a stir. Maybe check out the bathroom beforehand to keep the "surprise" factor out of it. I think a big surprise is what would cause problems. I'm just trying to think of what it would be like if I walked out of the shower and there was a five year old little girl standing there. But if a father came in and let everyone know what was going on, they could prepare.

Edit: I just realized this is a thread from almost a year ago. Nice Barney. o_O

That's aight, we been having a lot of the "drag 'em out and blow the dust off" threads here lately. Still applies, so no worries.

Still applies, so no worries.

Now it's applying in different ways though. (With all the "I was born a guy but I am a Girl inside" stuff going on ).

To the OP posters point, I think if anyone is doing what was suggested for legitimate reasons (and I felt her reasons were legit), then I don't think that most would have a problem. Those that do have an issue are typically the type of people who would have a problem with almost anything anyway.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter